pro 1200 owners...question

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
That's very encouraging to hear your experience with the 570, as you run it in some of the harshest temperatures in the country. Heat is probably the worst thing for any TM, especially slide-ins, and it seems like Sapphire has addressed the problem of premature component failure in their line of slide-ins with the fan cooling systems. Time will tell, as they are relatively new machines but I like what you are saying. Who knows, we may all be forced to use machines with big loud stinky lawn mower motors inside our vans once the GM vans are replaced with Euro style in five years.

I have worked on and around machinery pretty much most my life...that in no way makes me an expert on a lot of things...but it does give me the edge when it comes to knowing what to look for....

When I first started this company I was not crazy about the slide in at all...they all just looked to inadequate to preform and not have some type of issues..
so I went with a CDS unit and it did pretty good...not as hot as I would of liked to see it but over all I can't say I was not happy with it...being in an area that can push any where from 105 to 112 in the summers having a van that sits out there and idles at a high RPM is not really a great combination...I popped a few freeze plugs until I came up with the idea to put an external fan in front of the radiator to help keep the temps down..from that point it did fine...lost a little bit of cleaning heat but it stopped popping freeze plugs... ....but once the carpet cleaning dream took off...and the larger accounts popped up...it was time to get something that could keep up better....

In came the Vortex...Not a direct drive like the CDS but never the less a PTO unit that has to idle at a high RPM to allow the equipment to run.....the difference...it is diesel....and those things are built to do one thing and one thing only and that is run....and it does not care about heat...and thats what it did...and I ran it hard...the harder I pushed it the harder it ran...but once the economy tanked and a few of my larger accounts closed up...it was time to get rid of it..the cost of running it was no longer there........the cost of diesel and the amount of fuel it took that log wagon to climb a hill was not good business...........

The thermalwave caught my eye and I did some looking at it...the GM motor I like more then the Nissan..the build was better and although some of the components that I seen were not really quality parts there was nothing that I was to concerned about that lead me to believe that if I switched over to a slide in that there was going to be any issues that I need to concern myself with...and I knew that with a little bit of tweaking I could do everything that my 6008 could do except dual wanding....which is not nothing I really care about anyway......
So it became my first slide in I ever owned...and I have been extremely happy with its performance and how dependable it has been.....I did how ever have to put a radiator fan and move the computer unit out of the engine compartment...once again...because of our heat...she needed to be cooled down a bit......

Past time to get a second truck...once I seen the 570...there was no reason to look any where else...99% of the components on that machine were of good quality...so right there you already know that you are looking at years of performance with out to many issues....Lets not get away from the fact that sometimes shit happens and that is just the way it is...from that point its all in how it is handled...and not that it happened....I have been around machines enough to know that there has to be no logical reason for something to go sideways or get temperamental...just the way it is...I have ran this machine in some pretty hot temperatures and unlike the CDS....Vortex and the Thermalwave....I have yet to find a reason to have to try to cool it down because of the heat we have....It has not been prefect.....it has had a few hick ups....but the service to get them corrected and running have been top notch...and like I said...shit happens..and from that point it is all in how it is taken care of........

I like my 570 and that set up so much that....IF everything goes how I hope.....the cab over is going up for sale probably this week....from front bumper to back bumper it is in perfect shape...as far as I am concerned you are not going to find a better built slide in unit that can give you the heat..recovery and performance as a 570...and you are going to be hard pressed to find a direct drive unit that can match it...not in any way saying that direct drive units are not good...but if you know machines...slide in units have come a long way in a very short time...and the 570 is going to lead that pack.........

Reactions: Art Kelley

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Thanks, Jim. That is very good to hear you don't have to modify the 570 to reduce overheating issues. That's a huge problem with most slide-ins and the main reason for their relatively short life span. Up north here in the tundra the winters are brutal and it is wonderful to close the van doors while the machine is running especially below 0 fahrenheit. I'm concerned that my tools and hoses would freeze inside the van with a slide-in on those windy freezing days as you must leave the doors to the van open. I don't know how guys with slide-ins deal with the cold weather up here.

Reactions: Russ T.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Thanks, Jim. That is very good to hear you don't have to modify the 570 to reduce overheating issues. That's a huge problem with most slide-ins and the main reason for their relatively short life span. Up north here in the tundra the winters are brutal and it is wonderful to close the van doors while the machine is running especially below 0 fahrenheit. I'm concerned that my tools and hoses would freeze inside the van with a slide-in on those windy freezing days as you must leave the doors to the van open. I don't know how guys with slide-ins deal with the cold weather up here.
During the winter I run my slide in with the side doors open just enough to allow the 2.5" vac hose out. I monitor the engine coolant temp with a gauge and it stays right a 165 degrees. The inside of the van mostly stays well above freezing even during single digits outside. That being said the floor level can get down to the freezing point near the door.

Reactions: Art Kelley

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
I've also run my slide in down to 0 degrees. Like Shane said just keep your doors cracked just enough for the hoses to escape and let a little air in. I do have my exhaust plumbed to exit out and under my van.

Reactions: Mikey P

Able 1

Name
Keith
[QUOTE="Art Kelley, post: 4350356, Ask Marty about replacing the lawn mower motor every 2300 hours. [/QUOTE]
Yeah, Marty buys over complicated truckmounts. .
1427081719052.jpg

Original engine!

I have nothing against dd, and Hydramaster makes a great one also.. Though while wrenching on them this winter, there isn't much there.. You have a drive shaft, with a water pump and blower on the other end, and a waste tank.. The idle control module is only good for certain van years so....
I would guess that this is why Butler has never entered the slide in market..

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
[QUOTE="Art Kelley, post: 4350356, Ask Marty about replacing the lawn mower motor every 2300 hours.
Yeah, Marty buys over complicated truckmounts. .
View attachment 2054
Original engine!

I have nothing against dd, and Hydramaster makes a great one also.. Though while wrenching on them this winter, there isn't much there.. You have a drive shaft, with a water pump and blower on the other end, and a waste tank.. The idle control module is only good for certain van years so....
I would guess that this is why Butler has never entered the slide in market..[/QUOTE]

That's outstanding Keith! Is that the Prochem Peak? On the other hand, that's a slide in with 8400 hours. That's like marrying an 84 year old woman. 8400 hours on a Pro1200 would be like marrying a 42 year old woman. She's going to give you a lot more years because, like you say, all she needs is a shaft and a pump and a blower.

Reactions: Russ T.

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi Dave:

I know it's a bit late now, but in the past back when I bought/sold all kinds of used TM's- I have gone to NAPA who has a clutch book with photos and measurements and found exact size replacement's.

Also the dealer should come to your home and install it. I have installed many clutches in driveways. And 1 in Knoxville.

If we ever meet again I have my last refurbished modified Butler, ad I'd like to do a side-side vacuum comparison.

Sincerely,
Dale

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
[QUOTE="Dennis Bruders, post: Sapphire wants to make sure Dave is taken care of as soon as possible. Taking the machine to an authorized Sapphire service center is the best way to accomplish both of our goals"

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
BradFenstermaker
Hay Dave glad she is going now. Hope it last 10 yrs now like everyone elses.

Hangon a second........

Ok back now, had to get my big heel boot on. Hold that other testicle still while I stomp it good.
Now both your balls have been busted.

Later Tater

Able 1

Name
Keith
That's outstanding Keith! Is that the Prochem Peak? On the other hand, that's a slide in with 8400 hours. That's like marrying an 84 year old woman. 8400 hours on a Pro1200 would be like marrying a 42 year old woman. She's going to give you a lot more years because, like you say, all she needs is a shaft and a pump and a blower.

You will also need a silencer, and a waste tank..

84 year old women you say?
truckmount 044.JPG

Let's see your 42 year old..

That's an Apex. Peak was my girl last year..
water tanks 027.jpg

Able 1

Name
Keith
how much to send you a peak i just bought for you to go thru and "ABLE 1 IT"?
I really have no time for it now (plus you would probably be paying $1,200 round trip).. The Peak is my favorite truckmount though, you could just sell it to me! :lol:

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I had a Cleanco disguised as a Prochem Direct years ago. I bought it with 200 hrs on it. Shortly after, it started whining. The faster I drove, the louder it got.

My guy was half way through a job when the clutch seized. Shredded the belt so no driving it. He said he noticed the blower coming on while he was driving to the job. I had to replace the shaft bearings, shaft and clutch. Shaft took 3 weeks coming from Canada. I was without the van for a month.

I love my slide in.

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom