Prochem Performer Rebuild ( Pics, Detailed)

Name
Austin Willoughby
Performer.1jpg.jpg
Performer.jpg
Performer2.jpg
Performer3.jpg
Performer4.jpg
Performer5.jpg
Performer6.jpg
Performer7.jpg
Performer8.jpg
So I've decided to rebuild my Prochem Performer even though it is running just fine. The main reasons for the rebuild is one the frame on the bottom was mostly rusted out. Two everything leaked even though it was all really small leaks it annoyed me. Three that leak was going to slowly rot out my enclosed trailer plywood floor. Plus I'm thinking about doing a few mods to it. We'll see. So just a quick run down I'm doing a full on frame rebuild powder coating the frame, painting the engine block, replacing all deals and gaskets, rebuilding carb, brazing the copper in the heat exchanger or buying copper tubing to recoil heat exchanger (I may put in a different water heater instead of the heat exchangers ). In my enclosed trailer I'm doing diamond plate walls, rubber floor mat for floor and seal wood with a premium wood sealer, interior lights and whatever else I can enhance in there lol. Here's where I'm at so far! I have pics pre tear down. I spent 2 hours tearing down some of it and this is where I'm at now. Chime in with any input or ideas of how to make this machine a beast or just better in general.

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Wow. That's a lot of wires, hoses, bells and whistles to run a engine, blower, pump and heat exchanger.
I like things much more simple.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Wow. That's a lot of wires, hoses, bells and whistles to run a engine, blower, pump and heat exchanger.
With a well designed truckmount that Does have wires, and bells and whistles, you soon find out that it’s a economical, powerful machine that’s very safe for a tech to operate And will take some of the labor cost off the job

This truckmount is well worth restoring.

Name
Austin Willoughby
With a well designed truckmount that Does have wires, and bells and whistles, you soon find out that it’s a economical, powerful machine that’s very safe for a tech to operate And will take some of the labor cost off the job

This truckmount is well worth restoring.
Yep as Matt said benefit is the safety features like oil sensor, heat sensor, water pressure sensor, waste tank sensor, so on so forth which all keep the machine for destroying itself if something is wrong and you're not aware bc your cleaning. All these sensors shut it down to prevent damage but yea I think it could be simplified some or at least cleaned up a bit.

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
That is a big job Austin! Good luck. You are quite the optimist.

I rebuilt mine a few years ago. Looks like you are headed the right direction. Keep us posted on your progress.

Mine is a Max Master as well.

Reactions: BIG WOOD
Name
Austin Willoughby
That is a big job Austin! Good luck. You are quite the optimist.

I rebuilt mine a few years ago. Looks like you are headed the right direction. Keep us posted on your progress.

Mine is a Max Master as well.
Awesome do you have any tips, anything you would have done differently or started with first? Do you have any of the before/ after pics? Max Master is just a private label but is built with the exact same parts as the Prochem Performer right or at least that's what I was told/ thought?

Reactions: JS41035
J

JS41035

If I had a tip I would recommend building a heavy table to put it on. I’m rebuilding a 405 right now and having it up off the ground is great. Also I’ve done a couple replacements of the base on 405s. I’ll dig up some pictures.

Reactions: Austin Willoughby
Name
Austin Willoughby
If I had a tip I would recommend building a heavy table to put it on. I’m rebuilding a 405 right now and having it up off the ground is great. Also I’ve done a couple replacements of the base on 405s. I’ll dig up some pictures.
That would be great! Luckily I have an engine stand to mount the motor up to while I go through it but dag on if the blower and other parts aren't heavy as well lol. I'm thinking of upgrading to the 405 blower for the better suction. Also considering going up to a 2000 or more psi pump because I feel 1000 psi is under powered for what the motor can handle?

J

JS41035

Your heat exchanger are only rated at around 1200psi. So a higher psi is not an option. You can make a cold water circuit that bypasses the HX.
You would also have to change out the unloader to got that route. Also I don’t think the silencer is the same on 405 models. I might be wrong on that. Dad has a non 405 performer in his shop so I’ll check.​

J

JS41035

B69162F7-D073-447C-90C2-205123109B61.jpeg
It’s nice to have it off the ground.
If the silencer is smaller it will restrict the exhaust. I think the box that holds the blower exhaust HX is the same on both. I could be wrong on that.

Reactions: SamIam
Name
Austin Willoughby
View attachment 77246 It’s nice to have it off the ground.
If the silencer is smaller it will restrict the exhaust. I think the box that holds the blower exhaust HX is the same on both. I could be wrong on that.
Ahhh ok makes sense how much of an affect do you think it will be? You think it wouldn't be worth the extra money without upgrading the silencer to?

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
When you pull your blower's heat exchangers out, I bet you're gonna see all kinds of treasure that's blocking your exhaust. Your vacuum will increase once you clean out those fins

Reactions: Austin Willoughby
Name
Austin Willoughby
When you pull your blower's heat exchangers out, I bet you're gonna see all kinds of treasure that's blocking your exhaust. Your vacuum will increase once you clean out those fins
I have no doubt I will and honestly I have no problem at all with my dry times or blower now but I'm looking for future reasons to go ahead and put a bigger one if I can so if I need it when I grow it'll already be there. Just a thought

Reactions: BIG WOOD
J

JS41035

Well if you already have the blower.....go for it. But if not I don’t really think it would be worth it. You would have to open up the waste tank port. And the silencer port to really take advantage of the added flow. Add the cost of a new Sutorbilt...that’s really bumping up the cost of your rebuild. But if you ended up needing a silencer shoot me a Pm. Of course I’m getting some parental pressure to hoard parts. But I’m a sucker. My cell is+12702932353

Name
Austin Willoughby
Well if you already have the blower.....go for it. But if not I don’t really think it would be worth it. You would have to open up the waste tank port. And the silencer port to really take advantage of the added flow. Add the cost of a new Sutorbilt...that’s really bumping up the cost of your rebuild. But if you ended up needing a silencer shoot me a Pm. Of course I’m getting some parental pressure to hoard parts. But I’m a sucker. My cell is+12702932353
Thanks i may take you up on that offer if I can happen to find a blower for super cheap. Sometimes people are selling them and don't realize what they are. Maybe I'll get lucky lol

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Last year we had one that was in need of rebuild also. We decided on a new Everest instead. As great as the Performers had been for us, we really felt like we were making a risky move.

It turns out the Everest continues the tradition of dependability with increased performance. It's been an awesome machine, 9ne the tech's fight over. :cool:

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Last year we had one that was in need of rebuild also. We decided on a new Everest instead. As great as the Performers had been for us, we really felt like we were making a risky move.

It turns out the Everest continues the tradition of dependability with increased performance. It's been an awesome machine, 9ne the tech's fight over. :cool:

Olson does killer restores on these as well!

I
Seriously thought about having him do my old 405

Name
Austin Willoughby

Good to know for when I'm ready to move to the next machine!

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom