Prochem upholstery tool w glide

Walt

I didn't care for the Prochem Upholstery Tool that I bought 4 years ago. So, I sold it. Then Greenie made a glide for it and some notables on the board have stated that it was the best tool ever. So, I bought one near new used one ($150) and slapped a glide on it.

I've tried it on several jobs and I just don't get it. It seems messy and slow compared to my other tools. It does have a nice sweet spot for cleaning. And the adjustable spray is nice.

Does it just take a while to get used to? Am I doing something wrong? Tips on use?

It's amazing in the tight spots on stairs so I'm not planing on selling it.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
curious what you use and like the most now, Walt?

personally, I've always been a big fan of the PMF internal jet tool
But will also admit, I only have "real world" experience with a few upl tools and most of the other upl tools on the market were only demo playing around

..L.T.A.

I bought the prochem upholstery tool w/glide recently too...i really like the new Drimaster Upholstery tool with the pistol grip...I think I will a Drimaster soon they are reallly nice for certain situations (partitions, upholstery that needs to be dry quick, etc.).

Did you guys know that Interlink bought the rights from Steamway for the hydrokinetic tool?
I like the wider cleaning area of this tool....

I think upholstery tools are like baseball bats...to each his own...

Walt

I used the pmf internal jetted tool for a couple of years. It works fine but the psi to the vacuum ratio needs adjustment depending on the hose length. Too much vac and you don't get a proper spray pattern. Consequently it doesn't work well with another tool running at the same time.

I have a couple of old style drimaster tools. These are a no brainer. Anybody could run one of these and not damage fibers. Downsides as I see it: 1. doesn't penetrate the fiber completely 2. a potential disaster if is left on and vac is unplugged from the machine temporarily. Can you say flood? My helper did this and we barely escaped a total disaster.

The glide Prochem tool needs no adjustment of the vac pressure. Go ahead and have another tool cleaning in another room. Run the machine on high - whatever. It also really penetrates the fiber well. Downside: I find it messy, but guess that has to do with my technique. SLOW because I have to use a drop cloth even on a small chair if it's over wood.

R

R W

I really haven't used any other upholstery tool but the PC, (other than an older Steamway tool with a 4 inch head, and not easy to hold) and I've been using mine for close to 14 years. In fact, I just bought another PC tool for a job of 3-400 office chairs, so that I can dual-tool. I like the PC tool because you can "mist" over areas of the fabric, and you can adjust the PSI at the tool......that option keeps the solution flowing and hot.

I haven't tried the glide yet.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Walt,
I agree with Larry.
I have both the HydraMaster kinetic (the one with no jet or trigger) and the PMF internal jet.
The HydraMaster stays in the van the PMF interneal jet is the one I always use.

I don't have any problem with the the PSI to vacuum ratio. I usually clean with low pressure, adjust the air inlet to get it more or less wet according to what is at hand and use the vacuum to lift the fabric off the cushion to achieve fast drying and avoid over wetting. Works great for me.

And Rob is right too, it seems like upholstery tool is the most personal decision. Everybody works a little different and finds something that works best for them. For me, since it is detailed work done on a relatively small area with lots of curves, many times in small spaces and usually not in a very comfortable position, I need a tool the feels comfortable in my hand, gives me less fatigue and is easy to maneuver.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Plastic headed internal Jet PMF tool for me.

Can see thru the head what you're extracting.

Those PMF all metal internal jet "Hy Dri" are a POS.

Jimbo

Placement and size of the holes to control overspray...any recommendations??

Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Lyman
Greenie clued me in on size and placement of holes. That is why a pc works so well on microfiber, you can turn the pressure up to a good hosing.

Greenie

You'll fall back in love with that prochem tool if you follow the optional instructions included with the glide.

Just keep the holes under 3/16" unless you run a Vortex, anywhere from 4 to 5 seems to be the sweet spot, also make sure the holes aren't obscured when the glide is fully inserted. (note, the tool will be louder, but catching the operspray is worth it).

I also extend the jet (and optionally upsize the flow to an 02) with a checkvalve jet extender.

PC4UTglide-1.jpg

steve g

Name
steve garrett
the prochem uph tool is the finest most ergonomic tool made for the job, if you are not liking it, you just haven't gotten used to it yet. all other uph tools hurt my hands to use. I did try a glide on mine and honestly I didn't like it, its not that hard to operate and I like being able to suck garbage out from the cracks of the sofas

Brian L

Name
Brian L
3/16" holes is what I did with mine. Maybe that is the problem with mine. I drilled 5 holes but it does not seem to control the overspray. Holes too big I guess.

Greenie

Brian, tape over the center holes and only leave the end holes and see if that changes anything.

Then buy a real TM. :wink:

Seriously, a strip of tape applied dry brings it back to factory.

Stevie, PB&J sandwich cleaners aren't gonna like the glide much....it's okay brotha'

Brian L

Name
Brian L
I will double-back tape a 1/16" piece of G10 over the inner holes. Fiberglass epoxy is as strong as steel. Great stuff.

Greenie

I was thinking a little more redneck....just duct tape it for a job and see how she flys?
damn machinist.

Greenie

My first one was .172, I think that is the one in the pic.

But honestly, even at 3/16 I don't know how it's not grabbing the overspray with a glide?
Got a short checkvalve extender?

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
can someone post a picture, I have one also and hate the thing

spray tends to be heavy in the center and just not a good tool

with the way it works now I wouldn't even try it on microfiber

Greenie

7 or 8 post up Steve.

I change the jet using a short checkvalve extender to a 95 02

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
It's the best tool on the market for phoning in commercial upholstery that isn't very soiled.

Lightly Prespray 20 office chairs at a time, go to the first one, hold the tool back from the upholstery and evenly spray rinse solution over everything, and then suck it all out really fast like Bawb wanding a trailer house living room. Move onto the next. You should be able to average 60 - 90 seconds per executive chair start to finish, looks good, dries fast. That just might make or break a commercial bid. If you can do the chairs for five bucks a piece scotchguard included to sweeten the pot and still make a modest profit I'd say the tool paid for itself considering all the square footage of commercial carpet you have in a facility with 80 office chairs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom