Protector dry times

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
I finally convinced the boss man to get me a real sprayer. It's not that he was so apposed to it, but that I was afraid to ask because I have overheard him complaining about the price of pump-ups.

I mentioned to him that I had to switch the jug on my hydroforce 10 times per job, each time I had to take the tip out, and it extended the dry times because of too much water being applied with it at 1-4 instead of 1-2.

My question is this:
What sort of dry times extension can I expect with maxim advanced being applied with an omni-sprayer room by room before I put the airpath on the area?
Average dry time without protector is 20-30 minutes unless it's a large room. (I haven't figured out how to place the fan just right for the big-uns)

I know that if I dry the carpet. (So it doesn't trip a moisture meter) and apply advanced at 1-4 with a hydroforce sprayer I get about a 6-8 hour dry time on the protector.

Another good question. For you folks that dry carpet before you leave, what do you tell them about putting furniture back? I always have about 1 or 2 spots that don't test dry for some reason or another... Be it spotting, fan placement etc. If 95% of the room is bone dry, can I say it's dry? Do I tell them mostly dry?

When asked about dry times I say this:
An average acceptable dry time is 24 hours, and there is nothing wrong with that, other than it can be a hassle. Recently some advances have been made. I have cut that time down to as little as a half an hour in some cases, but it's not an exact science. There still may be a wet spot here or there... Use your best judgment, make sure the carpet is all the way dry before you put your furniture back. If you think it might be wet, wait a coupla hours.

Needless to say, I am not impressed, but I don't know what else to say. Maybe there is something else I can do to make sure there are not wet spots... Extra air movers for big rooms? Anal retentive dry strokes for spotting that border on madness?

thanks in advance for the priceless advice....
Well, advice that's worth more than five bucks a month.

tim

I use the omni sprayer with Maxim Advanced. I let the brochure do the selling and apply protectant on about 80 percent of my jobs. Before Maxim and the brochures I may have landed 20 percent. I only dilute 3-1 to speed up dry times. You can go to 2-1 or 4-1 so I go in the middle. I make 6 to 7 times my money on protectant so I use a little less water to speed up dry times. I also use the Airpath fans, I carry 3 in the house and have 3 more if needed. I do this to offer dry to the touch when I leave. Dry times with the Airpath and Maxim Advanced at 3-1 is about 20-30 minutes extra. It is a pain to wait around so they will be dry but I believe it builds value to your service and offers a USP of
'Dry when we leave" when everyone else is bragging about 2 hours or so. I block or tab furniture that has been moved and tell them not to remove them or replace rugs until the next day. This is purely a precaution, but one worth heeding as a furniture stain can be a real negative moment of truth. Hope this helps.

TimP

Definitely go with Maxim Advance if you want better dry times with protector. I would say since you were applying at 1-4 instead of 1-3 like you're supposed to you should have 20% less water left from the protector. So you should increase your dry time by at least 20%

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Gary;

A well-formulated solvent-based protector like our DC Ultraseal will cut you dry time dramatically.

More importantly, it will provide better protection from oil and water-based stains and it is on sale this month.

You do need a quality sprayer with Viton seals that can handle solvents.

Larry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom