Put 1000 people into a room..

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
In a good economy the percentage may be as high as 10 percent. In a bad economy it will be less than 5 percent.
The low numbers are partially a result of a school system/society designed to produce cogs in the big wheel.
Rebellion and thinking outside the box is discouraged and even punished there.
Small business are not for timid or the faint of heart.

Mikey P

Administrator
With all of the beat down over being a O/O and someone else's opinion BLA BLA BLA...................At the end of the day I can say , I did it my way. I AM THE CAPTAIN OF MY OWN SHIP! AND I COULD GIVE A FOOK WHAT EVERYONE ELSE THINKS!

YOU IDIOTS...................MORONS.................BUFFOONS!

You own a business named Kustom Karpet Kare and you your self look like you're made out of white sheets, just how many Klan member are there in that town of yours?

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
For self employment, the large numbers are fairly constant across all businesses. Only 15% actually make any real effort and make any real money. Of those, only 3 will excell, with 1 of the 15 becoming financially independent.

Reactions: J Scott W

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I've met owners that wanted to retire and were depressed to learned how little their company was worth, and then elated to find out how much their property was worth. If you use your business income to invest in something else, it might not matter if your business is worth anything.

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Maybe if you had 10k people to choose...maybe %0.0002
It also depends on location and value system...can be 0% or 33%.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Tougher but more inconvenient question..

Of that tiny percentage whatever it may be, what are the odds that their children are as capable.....:eekk:

Most millennials are a financial disappointment.
I'd be homeless if I had to rely on my oldest son for my retirement, a slim but better chance of survival with my younger son. :eekk: :hopeless:

Last edited:

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
Most people don't have the gonads to step out and even attempt self employment. Our society has taught for years that you have to go to college and get a job with a big corporation or you will starve to death.

I pride myself on going against what society says is normal. I knew at an early age I was going to run my own business. I get along great with people but I don't work well with others.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Talking about percentages.
How many people here can actually claim that their business when sold will support their golden dreams of their golden years.
My guess is: 0.03% and that's optimistic and includes everybody here.

So unless the definition of success is changed, this is meaningless. Unless, of course, the dream is the message.

Successful may be:
  • Enjoying your business and liking your clients.
  • Making enough income to support your chosen lifestyle.
  • Being smart enough to put money aside on a regular basis to allow you to invest (real estate, stocks etc. diversify!) for your retirement.
  • Not forgetting that business is important but your family and friendships are more.

And taking time to smell the roses every once in a while......cause it ain't all about business.

Capiche?!

F

FB7777

How many people here can actually claim that their business when sold will support their golden dreams of their golden years.

So unless the definition of success is changed, this is meaningless. Unless, of course, the dream is the message.

Successful may be:
  • Being smart enough to put money aside on a regular basis to allow you to invest (real estate, stocks etc. diversify!) for your retirement.
  • Not forgetting that business is important but your family and friendships are more.

And taking time to smell the roses every once in a while......cause it ain't all about business.

Capiche?!
The business is a vehicle for the intelligent business owner

Some grow it and purchase a building to operate out of

Others invest in additional real estate or invest with the profits

I agree with your low % estimate of retiring rich off the sale of the business...

When I'm done with my business (vehicle) I'll hand the keys to my kid or sell it for a couple buck IDGAS

Its getting me where I want to go

Mikey P

Administrator

Successful may be:

Capiche?!

All that and a bag of cow chips.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Sorry Mike. I forgot this:

woodford-reserve.jpg

And this for Capitoni
o-GUNS-facebook.jpg

As they say: Different strokes for different folks. :winky:

rick imby

Name
Rick
The advantage that a hard working second generation has is stepping in after the startup. Hopefully they appreciate what the #1 did---my son definitely does some times. Other times he has trouble getting his head through the door without opening up the garage door.

The third generation only sees how easy Dad and Grandpa have it now and think they deserve to be online all day like Chavez is...

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams

Successful may be:

Capiche?!

You just described my definition of success. Most carpet cleaners just don't have the desire to build a huge business. I'm happy getting out there and cleaning carpet every day. Managing employees is just not my thing. I plan on working and investing another 15 years or so and then yanking the phone plug out of the wall. I'm living the dream!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey P and ruff
Back
Top Bottom