Quarry tile

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
Customer has quarry tile in kitchen (commercial). They want to clean it and then regrout. Her question and mine is, how long after cleaning must they wait to regrout?

also first time with quarry tile, anything special I need to know, ie, chems, process.

Going to football practice, check back later.

Thanks

TimP

I'd run a rotary on quary if it was in a restaurant. However they shouldn't be regrouting you should be color sealing, you may could save them a ton and you make a ton. You may not want to run too high of pressure on quary. Regrouting is tough I am assuming you aren't going to be doing it....but they will have to seal the tile before grouting. I don't know how well it will stick to the current grout unless they are going to grind the old down some.....since there has to be sealer put on all the old tiles which may keep the new grout from sticking to the new grout....but I'm not sure since I've never regrouted a floor much less a quary floor.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
It seems to be the wrong order. Why not regrout and then clean? There is bound to be some grout haze or other residue from regrouting that will need to be cleaned.

I agree that color seal is a good option if the grout is not physically broken and damaged.

Scott Warrington

SJA

Vincent, To me a regrout means remove all the grout and replace with new. I would never attempt that in this type of setting. Why do they want a regrout? Is it because tiles are loose/grout missing in certain areas and they want those areas repaired? OR - is the floor solid throughout and they have tried everything to clean it and can not get it clean enough.

When we do jobs like this (rarely), we clean the area very well (remove all grease), put blowers on floor (no puddles), make repairs, and skim coat low areas on the same visit, put plywood over areas so the area can be used - while grout cures..

If alot of repairs are required and you are not comfortable with grout work - I would offer to clean/prep area for whoever they hire to do tile work.

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
SJA said:
Vincent, To me a regrout means remove all the grout and replace with new. I would never attempt that in this type of setting. Why do they want a regrout? Is it because tiles are loose/grout missing in certain areas and they want those areas repaired? OR - is the floor solid throughout and they have tried everything to clean it and can not get it clean enough.

When we do jobs like this (rarely), we clean the area very well (remove all grease), put blowers on floor (no puddles), make repairs, and skim coat low areas on the same visit, put plywood over areas so the area can be used - while grout cures..

If alot of repairs are required and you are not comfortable with grout work - I would offer to clean/prep area for whoever they hire to do tile work.

I'm not doing the regrout, just the cleaning. In 10 years they have never had the t*g cleaned in the kitchen. Although I have been in there several times before, I never really paid any attention to the condition.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom