Really important fact about mixing Sodium betasulfide and Stain Magic

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
I recently talked to Todd at Pro's Choice and found out something that seems really important.
I was asking him what the difference is between Groom Solutions Coffee Stain and Browning Remover (Sodium betasulfide) and Stain Magic( don't know what that is) . Since they both remove coffee stains and one of them is cheaper than the other, I wanted to know how they are different.
So Todd told me one is an Oxidizer and one is a Reducer. Both solve the problem from opposite directions.
And to NEVER use the two of them together because a chemical reaction will take place that can cause a combustion.
I've been cleaning carpets for a few years now and I suppose I'm not a newbie anymore . But I sure didn't know that. It was probably mentioned in my IICRC class but everything was new to me at that time so that important bit of info didn't register at all. So I just thought I post this so that other newer cleaners know to be careful with that.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Not only should you never mix an oxidizer and a reducer, you should take care when storing them in the same general vicinity. In all our stores, we take care to keep oxidizers and reducers apart on separate shelves, at least a dozen feet apart. Occasionally we get customers asking why all our stain removers are not together on one shelf, and it affords us an opportunity to explain the concept of chemical incompatibilities.

As a general rule, you should NEVER, EVER mix, or allow to be mixed any two chemicals, of any type, unless you know that they are compatible.

Sometimes you are unsuccessful using an oxidizer on an unknown stain. Make sure you thoroughly rinse and extract any oxidizer residue, before switching to a reducing agent to attempt stain removal.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I mixed stain magic and I believe peroxide and it smoked instantly. I was finishing off one bottle switching to the next. The spot turned white.

Gene

Back
Top Bottom