Red Stain Removal

cleanking

Name
Jordan King
20160426_101954.jpg
20160426_104351.jpg
Pretty pleased with how this red stain removal turned out. This was on a newer wool on cotton, Indo Soumak rug. Probably a Nourison, Nouromak.

Last edited by a moderator:

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
those products can still remove color weeks later well after being dry. I'm not saying it would happen in this case since this can be pit rinsed. I'm always a little nervous when using them on natural fabrics.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Some of these products are not intended for natural fibres but sometimes it is a last resort. I recently had a tufted wool rug that had red cotton threads anchoring some of the patterns. When I cleaned it the red bled all over the rug. I couldn't do anything as it would continue bleeding so I mixed up some part a/b eliminate and sprayed the rug twice. All the red disappeared like magic with no visible harm to the carpet. The mix reverts to just water apparently. It's not approved for wool but so far, no harm, no foul

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
those products can still remove color weeks later well after being dry. I'm not saying it would happen in this case since this can be pit rinsed. I'm always a little nervous when using them on natural fabrics.
Are you referring to this particular product. As if I understand correctly from the MSDS, it is not an oxidizer or a reducer and according to manufacturer, will not damage rug's dyes.

Magic Stain & Dye Remover

magicStainRemover200.jpg
Magic Stain & Dye Remover is designed to remove fugitive dyes, red stains, ink, urine stains, and some mustard. Just add hot water and apply heat. Can be used on wool and other natural fibers without damage to the fiber.

MSDS- Contains:
Zinc formaldehyde sulfoxylate

Sulfamic acid

Am I missing something here?

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Are you referring to this particular product. As if I understand correctly from the MSDS, it is not an oxidizer or a reducer and according to manufacturer, will not damage rug's dyes.

Magic Stain & Dye Remover

Magic Stain & Dye Remover is designed to remove fugitive dyes, red stains, ink, urine stains, and some mustard. Just add hot water and apply heat. Can be used on wool and other natural fibers without damage to the fiber.

MSDS- Contains:
Zinc formaldehyde sulfoxylate

Sulfamic acid

Am I missing something here?

No , I've never tried that one. Weeks later red dye remover can still damage some fibers. I don't trust them on naturals.

cleanking

Name
Jordan King
No , I've never tried that one. Weeks later red dye remover can still damage some fibers. I don't trust them on naturals.

If applied properly this shouldn't be a problem. Plenty of rug washers with much more experience than myself have used them succesfully for decades.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
If applied properly this shouldn't be a problem. Plenty of rug washers with much more experience than myself have used them succesfully for decades.
I would worry less when being washed, I'm sure it's all gone. I should of stated when using them in homes, sorry. I just don't believe you can rinse them throughly enough with a truck mount.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
CTI make a wool red stain remover I believe it's half strength of the original. Used it a couple time without a problem.

Gene I don't think when they have a red stain if a little discoloration from product takes place they had a fricken RED STAIN. Obviously you don't want to hurt anything but with kool aid everywhere, anything is an improvement.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
All have their place in an effort to strip unwanted dye. Depends on dye and textile material for results.

Sodium Hydrosulfite

Sodium Bisulfate

Sodium Dithionate

Sodium Metabisulfite

Hydrogen Peroxide

Ammonia

The combination as found in YellowGo:

Sulfuric Acid

Titanyl Sulfate

Ammonium Bifluoride

Citric Acid

...and more

Larry Cobb on this board can explain when and why. Even the use of the Sun or special lamps too. Also not to be forgotten is heat.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I looked further into it and it is a reducer. Aaron says so in this video.
Always wondered if these kind of products are going to work any differently than a "white cotton cleaner" that already contains a reducer and is on the acid side. Very similar. Never did an actual experiment to see if there's any difference.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom