Regrouting marble showers..what tools

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Just wondering what some of you are using to take the grout out without scratching the tile. Assuming it's unsanded grout, how far do you dig in before regrouting?. What kind of production rates are you getting. Hopefully I'll have some pics tomorrow of the job.

thanks,
Albert

safeclean

You can either use a pocket knife or the fein multimaster tool there are some grout removing tools around they all come in different sizes thinner the better for marble just take your time do not slip and a wet and dry vac to suck out grout dust, after you have done this you may want to clean out the joints I use a damp rag around my carpet knife and clean as I go than you are ready to re grout. Hope this helps unsanded grout is very easy to remove with a pocket knife and sharp blades. Take as much out as you can all the way is best IMO.

Mickey there are some finer sanded grouts they are using these days as not to scratch the tile during re grouting they hold up better for maint and color sealing, acrylic added does help but not that important really.

Craig

Mikey P

Administrator
When you say pocket knife you mean this?

utilknife.jpg

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I took a look at the job today. A lot of small repairs (caulking around tubs, showers, polish, ect). The one I'm having trouble with is the shower floor (pic below). What appears to be staining is on the side where the shower head is. This part of the floor is more angled towards the drain so I'm not sure it's a drain issue with the pan. A quick cleaning didn't do jack.

I told her I couldn't guarantee whatever would be done.

What options, it's unsanded grout and looks like it would be a pita to take out.

1. Clean and color seal. How's the cs going to hold up and would I have to do the whole shower.

2. Spot repairs. Take out enough grout on those areas and re-grout.

3. Regrout the whole pan

DSCN1965_edit.jpg

thanks,
Albert

Mikey P

Administrator
I would clean that with a Floor stripper and lots of 40 vol

Scrub the hell out it..
Polish it up the next with either Moneys or your diamonds.

Then dig out any moldy or soft grout and replace .

Then seal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom