Replacing head gasket on Briggs

hogjowl

Idiot™
I have a much more experienced (and humble) guru helping me with this Higgins. He had identified the problem as a back pressure problem caused from running the engine exhaust through the blower silencer. Once I reroute that, hopefully the problem will be solved.

But thanks for your tender loving care and concern.

Now KMA.

harryhides

Name
Tony
I'd be the first to humbly admit that I'm no guru with fixing engines and even if I did. . . .

It'd be my pleasure to conclude with your usual but tired old refrain.

IDGAS

ps, put everything into a tray as you remove it - you just know there will be pieces left over when you've put the engine all back together so be sure to stand back when you fire it up again.

hogjowl

Idiot™
LOL! I have the exact opposite problem. The last time I tore into my engine, to replace the magnets on the flywheel, I had too few screws left.

In fact, that may be my real problem.

harryhides

Name
Tony
admiralclean said:
LOL! I have the exact opposite problem. The last time I tore into my engine, to replace the magnets on the flywheel, I had too few screws left.

In fact, that may be my real problem.

So now you're finally admitting what we've all known for many years. . . . . . ..

You got a few loose screws, Marty

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Mardy...

Odin's right in his suggestion above. There's a good chance that you have a back- pressure problem. Having problems a few times related to motor longevity, even when the motor is well- oiled, indicates that something the motor is dealing with is causing problems with the motor. Repairing the motor addresses a symptom... not the cause. My guess is that the silencer is the culprit.

It may be that something as simple as lowering the motor RPM (which also lowers the blower's and therefore the potential back pressure...) is a remedy.

The best thing to do is to get a 5 PSI pressure gauge and connect it to the motor manifold. (Get someone to weld a fitting onto the manifold for that purpose. Use a long copper tube to connect to, so that you can deal with the heat.) My Briggs rep told me around 1999, that the maximum PSI allowed is 3 PSI. (Kohler recently told me 1.4 PSI, so it seems that they're different, maybe more for emissions than longevity.)

If you take the motor off to work on it, be careful not to over- tighten the belt tensioner as well, when you put it back on the frame and connect everything. Those pulleys are pretty small and close together (so a larger size can't be used there) and you need to run a pretty stiff belt to compensate, but there's not much room there to play with. If they're too tight, you'll have problems with the shaft seals in the rear of the motor.

Duane

T

The Magician

Marty by passing the exhaust should help/ eliminate your problems. Hydramaster by passes the exhaust with the Briggs motors on the Boxxers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom