Rosin Paper stained white Marble..

Mikey P

Administrator
The customer had their master bath tiled with honed marble, covered the floor with Rosin Paper and then got distracted for close to two years. She hired us to come in and clean up grout haze and seal the floor, counters and shower.

When we removed the Rosin Paper we found this yellowish discoloration all over.

Any ideas on how to remove it?

20150113_112432_zpsmm61pls9.jpg

20150113_112450_zpsatib0ojt.jpg

20150113_112509_zps6dekk2bc.jpg

20150113_112519_zpstpqrixln.jpg

Name
cameron demille
That's not a rosin paper stain, that's rust. Rosin paper is a darker/reddish brown, this is orange. What most likely happened was the paper was put down before everything was cured, or there was some moisture present somewhere. The rosin paper could have slowed down evaporation and caused it to sit. There are ferrous minerals in this type of marble and they can start to oxidize with moisture, in turn leaving rust stains like this.

If it is from the surface and are just superficial, they can be removed. If it is from within the stone itself, the pieces will need to be replaced.

Buy a gallon of Klenztone #3 from Regent Stone Products. DO NOT DILUTE. Pour a small amount on the surface and let it sit for 10 seconds, then scrub with a soft brush. If the stains are from the top, they will disappear. If anything can get rid of the rust stains, Klenztone can. Do not buy #1, #2 or #4. Buy #3 and DO NOT DILUTE IT. If you dilute it, it turns into hydroflouric acid.

Klenztone #3 will etch granite, glass, metal, porcelain, glazed ceramic and just about everything else EXCEPT marble, limestone and travertine. If you use it straight from the bottle, it won't hurt the marble.

https://www.regentstoneproducts.com/item_detail2.aspx?ItemCode=KLENZTONE

Also, if the staining is nowhere else other than around the toiled area, have the toilet removed and the wax ring inspected or replaced.

Mikey P

Administrator
Good tip.

We did some additional work for her.

She went in and touched some wet silicone joints, messing them up and never had us back to repair...

Mrice

Name
Mat
You can go to a beauty supply store and get 40 clear, put down some plain paper towels, soak, cover with plastic pick up the next day,
I've recently ran into the same white marble with orange/yellow/brown staining and made a poltice of diatomaceous earth and 35% peroxided, let sit for 24 hours covered, then 24 hours to dry and wick out and...nothing! I'll be watching your progress for sure. I threw everything but the kitchen sink at it and got no appreciable improvement, I hope you have better luck.

Reactions: Mikey P

Mikey P

Administrator
I dont know if we'll be going back actually.

I think I already mentioned that time itself was helping tremendously with the staining.

ted mcfadden

Supportive Member
Name
Ted McFadden
Use Klenzstone to remove rust stains. If they are rosin paper stains the peroxide may be the way to go but as Cameron said it is an oxidizer and there is iron in this marble.

Reactions: Bee Busy
Back
Top Bottom