Rotary Extraction shoot out at M9F results.

Mikey P

Administrator
24 out of the 90 or so attendies voted on 9 categories
1. Appearance
2. Features
3. Handling/Operation
4. Cleaning Performance
5. Drying Performance
6. Perceived Value
7. Quality of Construction
8. Versatility
9. Value

We had all four units set up and running on loose carpet of various styles, soil level and color.
Attendees were asked to listen to a short 2 to 3 minute description given by a representative from the manufacturer and try the units and use any prior experience to judge the 4 units on a scale of 1 to 9. They were given a day and a half to fill out the forms.
The tickets were used to raffle off a new Devastator filter

THERE WAS NOTHING SCIENTIFIC ABOUT THE EVALUATION WHAT SO EVER.

Points were totaled for an over score as follows:

HOSS 700- 1532
Rotovac 360XL-1424
RX20-1360
Mytee Trex-1352

As far as winner per category I don’t have the three hours right now to do the math, but quite frankly, I don’t think it really matters.

If enough people really want to know and someone wants to volunteer I’ll mail them the ballots.

ALL four machines will out clean and wand/Shampoo brush combo. FACT.
For my company I only need a Rotary Extractor on 20 to 25% of the jobs we see to deal with the very worse of residential pile. I don’t need or demand a unit to be able to work on Commercial Glue Down, but still feel all the units should be able to handle un-leveled floors to some degree.

My thoughts on each unit.. (purely scientific)

RX20.
Best built and handling unit of the four. Smooth, Plenty of power. Proven performer with nine lives. No unwanted flex when healed. Nothing feels cheap. Too expensive due to overly generous dealer mark up. Air flow is a big issue, the vacuum system had too many sharp corners and restrictions for the air/water to flow smoothly which leads to overly wet carpet compared to the other three units. I would need to see a skirt that goes all the way to the carpet to control heat loss and over spray to ever consider using the unit around furniture or wood baseboards. . Sadly these issues will not be addressed in the upcoming ‘refreshing” of the unit according to rumors but rather just losing some weight and price. I personally feel the weight is fine (2 pounds more than the HOSS) and only additional fault is the location of the safety switch, which is too far from my long fingers. $4000

HOSS 700
All of my complaints with the early production unit have been addressed! Thank you for listening!! Wheels roll smooth and quite now. No more axle vibration. Handle has been narrowed by 3 inches. Flow has been increased and can be made adjustable if desired with a needle valve sold separately . The clear vacuum elbow has been replaced with a more durable poly carbonate and a clear hose is now standard. Knuckle guard is now gone and a safety switch is not built in the the power trigger. It took a little getting used to but is in a convenient location The vacuum hook up port was turned so the hose falls more naturally behind the user. Handling was second best of the four. Some slight flexibility in the H frame handle is noticed but of no concern. Tall boy conversion kit is available. Flexible vacuum ports are a plus and have held up well on my unit. Virtually no over spray. $3000

Rotovac 360XL
While this unit at the show is still very much in beta mode RV feels their head design and motor choice was good enough to show off before all facets of the design are finalized.
Vacuum and cleaning action should be no different than the four port staggered jet “I” model. This unit should clean faster and deal with thicker piles much better. The gear box appears to be the same as on the HOSS so I feel confident that it will plow through most any thick carpet that would cause the “I” to stutter. I’d still like to see both size units have the jets further from the carpet which could be accomplished with taller vacuum shoes long with a longer skirt.to contain the additional over spray this backing the jets off would create. I believe more space between the jets and carpet would make this unit clean as well as the RX20 does. The” H” handle needs beefing up to handle the extra weight and torque of the 15 inch head (20 more pounds +/-), along with its telescopic height adjustment it flexes far too much when healed. Speed control was missing but IMO not needed. No safety switch and no over spray..$2500

Mytee Trex.
I have to be honest and say this unit was a big disappointment for me. I had really hoped that the two cleaners John “hired” to perform R and D for him would have noticed what was oh so apparent to me and many others at M9F in pre production units and had it all corrected before the 150 units were sold.(so far). The motor seriously struggles on anything but the thinnest of piles. When used (both .5 and 1 horse versions that were there) on 40 to 50 ounce pile (normal residential type carpet) the head would struggle seriously. With just a bit of healing it would stop dead in its tracks. One test area in the parking lot had one piece of carpet on top of another (simulating pad) and the machine would not start up unless you pulled up on the handle to reduce the drag created by the six aggressively V shaped vacuum shoes. While I’m certain the shape of the shoes lead to deep cleaning and great water extraction, I find them to be too aggressive and would not want to use them on fine piles, velvet's or wool carpet. When changing rotation speed the motor would often stop or stutter. I think the power needs to be stopped before adjusting to not damage the motor long term. The control knob is still in the horrible location it was when I first saw the Trex last August. In my truck it would not last a day. Flex was another serious issue both in the plastic and carbon fiber handle and in the base plate. No external ribbing or” I” beams were used on top like on the HOSS and Rotovacs to create stability/rigidity in the base plate. The unit did not feel solid and when healed it felt like it was going to crack at the carbon tube-base plate joint. The handle/head WAS cracked on each side (inch and a half long and growing) where the rubber bike grip type handles fit into the head. Way too much flex was felt throughout the unit leading me to believe this current version will lead a very short life in the hands of your normal carpet cleaning tech and anything less than the most anal of owner operators. Over spray was very noticeable. Safety switch was awkward and hard to use. A wheel hub was cracked and the head to carbon fiber tube plastic joint/lug was separating at the seam. I’m afraid it’s the Chinese RX20 all over again. $2500

And before that moron "Deron" on *** says SS paid me to leave this review, let me remind you that I have left negative reviews for certain Sapphire chemicals as well as the Stryker wand. The guy is as phony as they come and I have to wonder if he is really not just another one of Rob’s made up personalities.

And now you have the rest of the story…
Good day.

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
I'm not going to speak for others on this controversial subject but a guy who has used the trex for a few days said his was struggling as well.

I can't get the video I took off the card. It was of the 4 reps talking about the units.

I may send it Cordell to see if he can figure it out.

Last edited:
Name
Jesse
Pretty well spot on Mike.

We don't use rotaries often, only the rx the worst of the worst commercial jobs. If I was going to use it on resi only I'd get a Hoss, the RV if I was doing both res and com with it, the RX for commercial only. I think that the Mytee has potential, it could be the best/most aggressive unit for the nastiest carpets. Keep the head design, the style of handle (not type), and start over.

Name
Todd
Thanks for having this shootout. I had big hopes for the HOSS when it first came out but then it started to get mixed reviews. I might have bought one buy now if it weren't for the mixed reviews. It looks like it has a very high build quality based on the SS videos. Does anyone know if the HOSS would work good with a 36 blower? I read somewhere that it needs a bigger blower.

Reactions: Tyree

Mikey P

Administrator
I would fix the Mytee by;
-using a round, stout tube like the RX does, sell those left over Bentley tubes to some bong maker on Craigslist.
-use a metal base plate with better reinforcements
-keep the triangular shape ditch the snaggletooth feature on the vac ports and alter the L shape enough so that Rotovac can't sue them for violation of a patent.
-use the motor the RX or Hoss use, im sure the gear box is in question but I dont know enough about those to comment.
-ditch the speed control, not needed
-add some flexibility to the shoes, it's needed on a 15 inch head
-get rid of the plastic control head, all the others use metal for a reason

and finally, charge enough so quality long lasting components can be used

according to John, 150 units have been shipped.

Let me ask those that saw the same flaws, how is it possible a broke dick, no mechanical or electrical back ground dufus like me notices these things but John's engineers and RnD guys didn't?
Did both units there get built whit faulty motors? Was John's generator faulty? were all those carpet samples made of 120 ounce cotton? did the harsh Vegas sun deteriorate the plastic that quickly?

Unlike the HOSS and it's original issues, these flaws can't be over looked or fixed by sending out disgruntled owners a easy to install part or two.

Rotovac was very wise to send the XL tool for review, I believe they will save umpteen thousands and their reputation by having done so. What company in their right mind does not want FREE research and development?
When I asked the guys from Prochem and MasterBlend why they don't have Rotary Extractors their reply was the market is flooded with them and that chasing fads can cost millions. I sup[pose they are very wise with that assessment.

I just don't get it.

John will be pissed and assume Bill Bruders paid me to write this, he'll hide on *** were Rob and deron will continue to lie to him and their young gullible readers, but a year from now when he looks at all those busted units piling up in the back of his warehouse he'll be thinking, that fooking Mikey P, he was right. Again.

mark my words.

Mikey P

Administrator
Pretty well spot on Mike.

We don't use rotaries often, only the rx the worst of the worst commercial jobs. If I was going to use it on resi only I'd get a Hoss, the RV if I was doing both res and com with it, the RX for commercial only. I think that the Mytee has potential, it could be the best/most aggressive unit for the nastiest carpets. Keep the head design, the style of handle (not type), and start over.

Thanks again for bringing all that dirty carpet Jesse, it really made the show better. When you go to Connections or CAD shows and everyone is stroking or twirling on 10 ounce Polyester garbage, a cleaner easily can be misled.

Mikey P

Administrator
Thanks for having this shootout. I had big hopes for the HOSS when it first came out but then it started to get mixed reviews. I might have bought one buy now if it weren't for the mixed reviews. It looks like it has a very high build quality based on the SS videos. Does anyone know if the HOSS would work good with a 36 blower? I read somewhere that it needs a bigger blower.

sure, why not, but just like with a wand, you'll need to slow down to get good extraction.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The Powerglide doesn't float, other than that it is built like a tank. We use it on very badly soiled commercial, provided the floor is flat. We have also added Green Glides and it work pretty good on residential too.

Speed still keeps the young guys from liking it but it has been proven to them that it is superior flushing with it.

Powerglidecutout_zpsaa25ff5d.jpg

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Mikey;

Thanks for the extensive report.

We sell all four of the rotary extractors.

Our original TRex did seem low on power, until we changed the vac seal gasket under the plate.

That lessened the drag on the motor, and improved the rotary power (1/2 HP should be plenty).

It was an easy upgrade, like several that we have done to the Hoss.

Anyone notice which rotary left the carpet the driest (#5 on MF survey) . . .

or were there too many cleaners using them repeatedly.

I have gotten used to changing the speed while I am using the TRex.

Larry

Last edited:

FredC

Village Idiot
Our original TRex did seem low on power, until we changed the vac seal gasket under the plate.

Larry

Is this a modification that Mytee has been made aware of and is now shipping to other distributors....or....is this another "if you want your shit to work like it is supposed to you need to buy the Cobb modified version"....ala bentley

Edit: note I'm not against the latter...just asking so others are aware

Edit2: is the better vac seal gasket available from Cobbs for people who may have purchased elsewhere and are having issues?

Last edited:

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Is this a modification that Mytee has been made aware of and is now shipping to other distributors....or....is this another "if you want your shit to work like it is supposed to you need to buy the Cobb modified version"....ala bentley

Edit: note I'm not against the latter...just asking so others are aware

Edit2: is the better vac seal gasket available from Cobbs for people who may have purchased elsewhere and are having issues?

No the seals have been sent out to everyone already. The cleaning on the tool is amazing and the dry times are second to none. No swirls and the carpet looks awesome with no grooming. Just need to figure out the motor. John really thinks it is just the felt gasket but I dunno. It needs more power. The slider control needs to go. Terrible placement and useless Idea in my opinion. It wont last a week in anyones truck. I dont think it is ready for production but the vacuum design kits ass in my opinion just needs the rest of it to match up to it.

Reactions: Mardie and FredC

Mikey P

Administrator
Good to hear about the gasket.I have to wonder if it was installed in either unit there.

That plastic and carbon handle assembly needs to go imo.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Thanks again for bringing all that dirty carpet Jesse, it really made the show better. When you go to Connections or CAD shows and everyone is stroking or twirling on 10 ounce Polyester garbage, a cleaner easily can be misled.

It is better... but still doesnt stand in for using it on your truck for a week or 2....That zipper idea was off the hook in that regard....

and yea, not to sure about the motor or the handle/pole.... I have ran 175s with a metal pole and plastic top.....and it sucks....you need the rigid feel on these units, so you dont feel like its going to wobble into Mrs. P's china hutch

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
It has not one thing to do with that felt gasket.......can it help it ..YES.......but that is NOT the problem........the problem with both the.T-Rex and the 360 is called...MOTOR DRAG...

they HAVE to have a start capacitor for the start up of the head.....you have to have...full load to the windings to start the rotation....then it will drop to running amps...once and only once the rotation starts......If you start looking into motors that will actually work for what you are doing...you will lose the torque that is causing these machines to bog down and twist the way that they are.......and relieve the stress that is being put on them.......

You guys get so damn defensive over your machines and refuse to listen to anyone and just keep shooting yourself in the foot.......Get away from those stupid...F%$Ked...up variable speed motors......they have no place in this industry.......Put something on there that has the balls to work against the vacuum on the truckmounts....raise the things up so the jets can do there job and you just might have something that will be competitive.........

Or....you can sit back and keep saying that I have no clue as to what I am talking about and just keep digging that hole...........I am only trying to help.......

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
I agree with mike especially on the trex. I was also very excited to see it. I feel john has brought many items to the industry that have been good products. Ie Rotomolded tank, his portables and many other products.

Anyways the biggest issue for me was the dripping water on the machine. I couldn't help but stare as the machine was swung to the side and water was pouring down on the carpet. This may be easily fixed by jetting but it was a huge issue. Motor hp is also a biggie, John was running on an electric tm. Hook that thing up to a big tm and the problem would be even worse.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
I have one here that is out being used and abused by a 13 truck company. They are using it on butler, Aerotech's and the Prochem Peak. Told them to use it for a good solid couple of days on each different machine. Will have a report later this week.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I have no clue as to what I am talking about ...........I am only trying to help.......

I don't know if you had a bad 360i or what Jim but I have two 360is and used them daily on thousands of carpets with outstanding results and no bogging down, no hot motor even after 20-30 minutes of continous use. The 360i is far better than my RX20 which I put away years ago and it was a lot better than Erics (Zipper Guy) Hoss machine when we tested them together on a CGD job. And at 39 pounds nothing comes close in convenience.

Reactions: Vivers

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I don't know if you had a bad 360i or what Jim but I have two 360is and used them daily on thousands of carpets with outstanding results and no bogging down, no hot motor even after 20-30 minutes of continous use. The 360i is far better than my RX20 which I put away years ago and it was a lot better than Erics (Zipper Guy) Hoss machine when we tested them together on a CGD job. And at 39 pounds nothing comes close in convenience.

the 360i is getting away with it to a point because the head is so small and it is so light weight that although it motor drags at start up..it can get away with it more then the others....never the less.....it still is putting unnecessary stress on it........the jets are way to low to the ground and get blocked off by the higher pile carpets....and it lacks stability to keep it up where it needs to be........way to small of a head and it seems like it takes forever to get across a room.....Like yourself..I like the lighter weight of the machine.....I am going to be 50 this year and have a body of a 75 year old............but that does not make it have longevity and clean as good as it should...........it could be better.......

Reactions: Vivers

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
the 360i jets are way to low to the ground and get blocked off by the higher pile carpets....and it lacks stability to keep it up where it needs to be........way to small of a head and it seems like it takes forever to get across a room..........
The cleaning head is spinning furiously and the jets are going just as fast; it's an amazing sight, the swoop heads are pushing and scrubbing the fibers' the jets do an excellent job hitting the entire fiber. The extraction is excellent either with my 500 CFM TM or my 230 CFM porty. The machine will scoot across a carpet as fast as you can move on a not too dirty job but of course you have to go slow where needed.I can go over a room in a minute or two just like with a wand.
I

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I just can't seem to get that thing to scoot with out it streaking.....but I will say....it is always my first choice off the truck when I have to clean a Berber carpet....it can make the crushed loops stand right up.......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom