Rotovac cfx ranger and 360i (the ultimate Portable discussion)

Sky

Name
Sky L.
I am leaning toward keeping the ranger with CFX and getting a standard extractor (EDIC) for smaller jobs. Even with all the cords I believe I have greater flexibility especially with auto dump/refill and a 27gallon tank if needed. I also have a CRB which should help me quite a bit.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
From time to time, I have had to use a portable where I would Normally use a TM. As long as you explain it right to the customer it's no big deal. Just takes you longer.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yep, us too but we would probably go to OP before a portable. Portable only when we've exhausted every reasonable option.

We had 30,000 sqft they wanted HWE on a secure job that we couldn't use a TM. We explained the difficulties involved in that process and told them Encap might work better. We test cleaned and area and they jumped on it.

Faster drying, looked brighter and we processed it in a time frame that fit their demands.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I am leaning toward keeping the ranger with CFX and getting a standard extractor (EDIC) for smaller jobs. Even with all the cords I believe I have greater flexibility especially with auto dump/refill and a 27gallon tank if needed. I also have a CRB which should help me quite a bit.

If you are going to keep the CFX, I don't understand why you would buy a standard extractor?
The Ranger is both a standard and compact extractor.
On small jobs use the bigger version--Ranger and only fill up once or twice and avoid the Auto dump and auto fill hose. maybe you have learned by now what a pain the auto dump/fill hoses can be when it comes time to pack up.- It sucks if you accidently make a mess with these hoses when packing them up.

On bigger jobs use the compact version and use longer auto dump/fill hoses and extension cords so that you don't have to find new outlet locations. finding the 2-3 circuits is always time consuming.
I highly recommend you get a pre filter such as the lint hog by Mytee. this will keep your pump out working longer and protect the pump-- floods are also less likely.

Reactions: Doug Rice

Sky

Name
Sky L.
Papa John that is very true. However, Dirty water goes to the CFX, which is 17 gallons. If you are not careful dirty water comes out of the CFX. How would you manage that?

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
Papa John that is very true. However, Dirty water goes to the CFX, which is 17 gallons. If you are not careful dirty water comes out of the CFX. How would you manage that?

In an effort to make the CFX compact I believe that the "waste tank" is too small and the vacs start to suck up and spit out water. If there is a way to change the float level on the pump out so that the pump will pump out water sooner-- that will be ONE step to solving the problem.
the other problem is that the pump-out filter will get clogged with lint and this will decrease the amount of waste water that the pump can pump out--- using a Mytee Lint hog will help solve this problem.

bottom line-- auto pump outs don't like excess lint and grit.

Reactions: Condog

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
I'm talking about splicing into the lower amp drawing cord (1 vac-no APO) inside the compartment and ruining a lead to an outlet on the machine switch pannel.
Machine would still run on 2 cords/circuits.

The vac, solution and RV power cord would all run back to the machine, stay out of the way, and the RV power would not need to be moved to different outlets during a job.
I get it like a power head socket on a canister vacuum cleaner.

Reactions: Goomer

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
I think @Goomer 's idea is a terrific one for anybody who may be reading @Rotovac.

Putting a small dedicated power socket on a porty for the 360i and shipping the porty, link cable, hoses and some kind of strapping would make a terrific easy setup, easy packup rotary suite.

You could maybe do something with Enduro?

And an observation of mine is the market is screaming for a good chemical injection system. Something on the pressure side of the pump.

Mark Von*Lay

Name
Mark
Sky dude....you will be fine....trailer.( my preference) van whatever.....as you can tell everyone has there preference.....I really have to use the portable set up due to condos and lakefront rentals ,,Rotovac 1200 psi 15 gallon waste tank 24 fresh auto,,/ auto..carry your own power I have around a 100 amps or 18,000 watts....propane..... I can always depending on the job split the power up between my gens the adapters and just wall power ( I always plug in to 20 amp no matter what if I go to the wall in home ) nothing like blowing a breaker that the woman was on the computer working on her tenth page LAW SPEECH )) don't ask...anyway...ah the stairs....get yourself the forearm straps put on the front wheels and keep your back straight if for some reason you have to take the whole she-bang..also a mytee lint hog booster...gives you a back up pump out too.i use customer power as much as possible with out it being a hassle. The 360i is great however I find the T-REX senior...to get better dry times....and let's face it the customers most don't know anything most of the time,,it's when will it be dry and when and if they see the rotovac ranger they say what the hell is that...way more impressive in stature with the 15 gallon waste tank than a regular portable,,also I have a EZ TANKLESS 101 portable water propane heater on a big commercial dolly it will put 120 degrees in the tank no problem if you can't access custys hot water ( I don't recommend any hotter as it will stress the pump ) and then run through a mytee hot turbo bam.......it will keep 180 sometimes more...with agitation and good agents....you can kick some ass you don't need to cook the carpet ...the guys that truck mount heat that get 230 temps can clean just a little faster and will dry a little quicker..trust me you will get a system...and buy yourself the dryer and stove adapters YOU WILL NEED THEM.. steambrite supply can explain them to you if you like or the wonderful people on this forum ...after a few months you will say damn I can't believe it took me so long to set up....oh if you don't have the big waste tank GET IT....ALSO FOAM...they claim the defuser tube handles that....not if dude cleaned his carpet with tide.......take a sponge and soak it in defoamer and place it at the back of defuser tube...... I'm 53 and can do 3 jobs sometimes 4 depending on the jobs. 3 is fine for me...It's great you already have a CRB..ALSO great for a power groom...WHEN.I FIRST STARTED I didn't know shit and God has a ten page list of some cussing tyraids I had in my van so deep breath...lol also even with a rotary you need a decent wand and the closet farmer faucet adapters will fit anything and no leaks in the garden section at any home store ,,, on a wand starting out I like anything mytee makes ...your call..I remember asking Saiger if 200 psi would be enough .... lol.....Good luck......DISCLAIMER......THIS IS MY OPINION AND WHAT WORKS FOR ME....THERE WILL BE THOSE THAT DONT AGREE....AS JOE WALSH SAYS....SO WHAT....FIND WHAT WORKS FOR YOU:clap:

Reactions: Condog and GeeeAus

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
You know I like this idea of going right to the BIG socket for supply. Cutting out as much of the day to day as possible is the best. The consumer will make tea and use their computer, but probably tolerate your interrupting their laundry.

I put it this way.

"Hey I can see you are doing some laundry, would you mind if I paused your cycle so I can launder your home? It works much better if I can let me equipment work it's best for us and the washer socket is ideal"

Nobody says no.

Reactions: Mark Von*Lay

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
@Sky I see you have the 1200PSI machine but I can't recall you saying what tile gear you have? Very good market to be in. Not a lot different to servicing carpet really. You can make your investment return to you much sooner if you can do more work. Get a tile head for 360i or maybe a Bonzer. They open more doors.

Sky

Name
Sky L.
How do you feel about the hard surface tool with the ranger? Should provide good results with proper chemicals?

Sky

Name
Sky L.
Mark thank you so much for detailed response. Do you currently use the cfx/ranger set up? If so, you do 3 jobs a day with that? The CFX has a 15 gallon waste tank so I could still use that for dirty water, just have to be mindful to dump before it reaches vacuums.

Mark Von*Lay

Name
Mark
Mark thank you so much for detailed response. Do you currently use the cfx/ranger set up? If so, you do 3 jobs a day with that? The CFX has a 15 gallon waste tank so I could still use that for dirty water, just have to be mindful to dump before it reaches vacuums.
yes....I typed that really fast ...so sorry if you had to guess on some of what I was saying...go to Rotovac website and study everything on your machine video section also ROTOVAC will help you if you get lost.....study study study learn your carpet fiber...you don't want to put a 13 ph on a wool carpet...get a work sheet and protect yourself...against everything and have them sign ....there are a lot of details to this business LEARN THEM.it will be overwhelming at first...but it will all start to click....and if your in Los Angeles.....look up Deon Bush {Carpet Cleaner} you can pick his brain too. I don't know what your finances are but hes a good dude...just be honest with him.. if your not using the auto dump you will notice the feel and the sound of the machine start to change when its getting close to full....that comes with a little time....just check it till you have it nailed....but use the auto dump....and get an inline filter if you don't have one. and listen we haven't even talked about marketing.....stick with your 1 or 2 jobs for now and get your feet wet . maybe its different in LA . but if you want 3 jobs a day ..that's just a comfort zone for me THERE ARE GUYS OUT THERE trying to get 2 jobs a week that's another story.dont listen to there shit...sometimes I want to go and have a day off...how old are you ?.....also most of the time I don't take the machine in on residential...porch or garage for me...get yourself a seal~a~door....with the zipper if you can....the part they didn't tell you is all the stuff you need to not be a HACK...keep learning and pickin brains on this forum and the web....and steambrite supply has a forum with a lot of newbie stuff ..read it all...since I have started...I have made this a 24/7 deal...I never stop watching...reading...learning. from the successful men in this profession...also you only think your slow...you will not even think about set up after time goes by.....but know matter what never skimp on QUALITY ....NEVER.....sorry for typos ...

Reactions: Condog and GeeeAus

Papa John

Name
John Stewart

Some more things you can do to prevent making a mess. If you fill with buckets-- empty every time u fill. If the vacs are sputtering out water because the pump out isn't pumping out fast enough then lower the flow rate of the water coming into the machine.
Also install shut off valves on the auto fill n auto dump hoses it keep them from leaking when packing up. Also vacuum out those 2 lines to extract the water when finishing up.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
One other thing that I've always done with my porties.

At the end of the last job, after emptying & cleaning out waste tank.

Run the vac; motors without vac; hoses attached for about three minutes.

Moisture collects on the inside of the cabinet as condensation.

This will help dry the cabinet & help prevent rust forming on the vac; motors, which can lead to early replacement costs.

:yoda:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We ran 4 Flood Kings most of the day at a commercial water loss Thursday. One of them towards the end of the day sucked up foam and was spitting it out.

Just as Shorty mentioned we brought them in, washed them out and let them dry with their lids off. The foamed unit we ran for 10 minutes to make sure it dried out.

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
I run my porty for a few minutes with the hose on to ensure all the water clinging to the walls of the hose doesn't leak out and make the vehicle stink like funk.

I empty at the end of the job.

Then I suck out the solution tank which washes out my hose.

Then I dump half of the water in the waste tank. Stop emptying and close the gate and turn on the vac motors. I then put my hand over the mouse of the intake port and left the machine reach peak LIFT, then trow open the dump gate.

The thing will bubble away like a giant BONG and as it does the turbulence and air rushing into the tank from the bottom works loose all the sand and hair and chit. I then turn the vac motors off and remove my hand. The heavy sediments all come out. It STINKS.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
I take my ball valve filter off and spray WD 40 thru the vac motors. Then run the vacs for a few minutes.

Isn't WD 40 flammable? I don't think you should spray that through an electric motor.

reminds me of the video a saw of a guy using a vacuum cleaner to siphon gasoline from a car-- the vacuum cleaner became a flame thrower-- if I recall correctly it burned down his car port and then car.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Yep, us too but we would probably go to OP before a portable. Portable only when we've exhausted every reasonable option.

Pinche' Taco......That's where you loose me.

I would respect your anti-porty sentiment much more if you didn't go all Geurkink on us.

Your decision to go OP rather than porty in a residential situation ( You Nasty Fooker), is a result of you fooling yourself that Op is a sufficient method because your company is INCAPABLE of providing efficient portable service using the right equipment and being operated by technicians that are familiar with it, and who's Manginas don't suffer permanent injured if they have to use it.

Instead of sending your guys out with an old Cheyene, turn one of your El Camino's into a portable special-ops vehicle with the right equipment and your gang of Cholo's will be fighting to use it.

Embrace the porty Richard.

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
Hmmm

Lets not fight. I think he's looking at it from a $ per hour point of view. But in that case a Cimex will make more productivity every day of the week ending in y than a truckmount.

I'm at a place where the kinds of jobs @Desk Jockey can't make work with HWE are my opportunities to do that. Not literally. But in principle. Let's just take a moment to remember that plenty of the work on a given guy's books is going to include some representation of people who at one time used somebody else, but you offer a better fit.

Just chilax peeps.

It's odd that the porty TM thing is such a biggie. You'd think everybody would be more cohesive about the carpet cleaning business discussion thing.

All these porty guys barking about I can do it better than you because I learnt it harder... So.....?

Matched only by the TM guys who poke fun but offer no help in spite of many recalling a time when they made their start with a porty... Such a BIG Help.

So we have I know better than you but I have questions

And

I have answers but I've moved on and am not saying.

You know. This isn't the best guys. We're not at our best behaving this way. :icon_rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee Stockwell
Name
Nate W.
I'm only on my best behavior in front of a judge or first date, okay okay I lied about the latter..... You'll only get better with time and experience... What's his general target market?

Reactions: GeeeAus

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
In the words of the immortal.

I.D.G.A.F.

Every tool you have, has it's own unique characteristics, where one will perform better than another.

Not one tool suits every job.

I couldn't care less about all the bitching and back biting over what is "KING".

Remember when Chuck & Cliff Monson invented the RX-20 which was very quickly purchased by HydraMaster, then some were re-badged as the CMX-20, for CleanMaster & US Products. (I think).

Look at the number of "knock-offs" the RX-20 has produced in varying stages of development by various suppliers.

How many remember when Rick Gelinas starting sprouting about the advantages of the Cimex???

I certainly do, I traveled across to Lost Wages to check it out, along with his Releasit.

Boy, do I ever remember getting my arse kicked on the other forums that were rampant in those days, before MB came on the scene.

How many decried this tool as a W.O.F.T.A.M. (Waste Of Time And Money) ??

How many truck mount & porty operators now have one or more in their arsenal ??

Same goes for OP machines, there are good, there are bad, and there are some that are, well, I won't go there.

Look at Japan for sales of OP machines from one supplier in particular. :winky:

But again, it's horses for courses.

It's up to the operator with their wisdom & practical experience or knowledge, to find which tool will be their preferred one for each & every job.

Those on lower budgets may prefer the cheaper items, &, if the operator is proficient in their work, can get great results.

Some higher priced equipment may not work well on lower priced extractors, whereas the cheaper item may deliver the goods.

Longevity also can come into play here, so that cheap item may well turn out to be more expensive in the long run.

Do the best you can with what you can afford, &, as you become better, source better equipment, but NEVER, EVER, stop learning.

That's it, time to hit the fart sack, got an 06:00 flight to catch in less than 9 hours time.

Ooroo.
:yoda:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Isn't WD 40 flammable? I don't think you should spray that through an electric motor.

reminds me of the video a saw of a guy using a vacuum cleaner to siphon gasoline from a car-- the vacuum cleaner became a flame thrower-- if I recall correctly it burned down his car port and then car.
Been doing it for years, never had one catch fire yet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom