rug care suggestions

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
I don't do a lot rugs. Here is a rug that I need some recommendations on cleaning. Medium urine smell from a couple of oversized rat yorkies. Couple of spots, but mainly urine smell and some spots.

Maybe some aussie chaps can chime in. Sorry for the cell phone pics, in advance.

rugtag.jpg

suttonrug.jpg

Name
I'm Rick James
Its probley lambs wool with a poly backing. :lol:

I'd wet clean as you would a wool rug. Their cheap rugs.

Dont forget to groom it when your done.

:mrgreen:

Name
I'm Rick James
Sorry that would ruin the cheap backing.

Just vacuum real well, pretreat the urine spots with a enzyme product and pretreat the rest of the carpet as needed. Pre-agitate. Clean it with 200 PSI and go for it. Then post groom and dry.

The mineral content of the urine can damage natural fibers, so they may not come out.

John Watson

Bet that gentle cycle don't bother it.. I have a client wit a 10 x 12 Flocoti, I would fold and tie it to the back seat on the Gold Wing and to DA Burns I would go. Pick it up the same way just wrapped in plastic for the ride home. Bet some of the drivers on I-5 thought I was from Montana and just giving the bride a ride..., Bryan said they just put it in their big washer and then combed it out.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Washing in a tumbler style washer would damage the backing, and cleaning with a wand or rotary will damage the face fiber. Soaking and roller agitation would be the safest and most thorough way to clean this type of rug.

I seem to remember something about Hellenic Imports having to recall a bunch of rugs for some reason. You might check into this and see if the customer can turn it in for a replacement.

PS: I should have taken a picture of John riding off on a motorcycle with a giant bundle of Flokati stuffed behind him. It looked like a dead polar bear.

Name
I'm Rick James
I have used a wand on these type of rugs for years and have never damaged the fibers. :shock: I just use low pressure and groom it right after cleaning and they look good.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I wrote an article on cleaning Flokati some years ago. I would be glad to send you a copy.

Some with strong backings can be cleaned in a commercial washer with gentle setting, but not all can be cleaned that way.

If anyone wants a copy of the article, just send me your email address.

Scott Warrington

GRHeacock

I have cleaned a bunch of these- My preference is on the floor, laid out flat, clean with an upholstery tool.

However, these were the top quality Flokati, not ones with a cheap poly backing.

Gary

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom