Rug ID and cleaning advice.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
101_0555.jpg

Customer calls wants me to pick up and have it back early next week. It’s on the porch and she isn’t home when I go by to take a look and it’s totally piss soaked. Rugs are not my strong suite. I have really only done surface cleaning. Despite working for several companies, I did not know there were more though ways to clean rugs until I started getting on some of the boards. I know enough to see allot of red flags with this one, so here are my questions:

ID and value? Not looking for an appraisal, but need to know what kind of ballpark liability I have here.

Any special precautions with this one? I have not tested for color fastness yet.

Dusting? Thinking of buying an air compressor. What are the minimum specs I need?

Pit Washing? I am going to try to make a temporary wash pit for this one. Should I per treat the rug with an acid cleaner first? Do I add acetic acid to the wash, or just soak in plain water?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Mikey P said:
Those dancing pigs may run on you.

Yea,
Allot of red dye and piss here.
Here is my plan. Let me know if you have a better one.
1. Dust / Vac
2. Test
3. Depending on test take it back and tell the custy to F off or go to next step.
4. Pretreat with chemspec colorfast upholstery cleaner (PH 3).
5. Soak / Clean in sour pit wash
6. HWE.
7. Dry.

GRHeacock

This is not the one to learn on.

Take it to a local rug plant and let them deal with it.

You get a markup from their price for pickup and delivery.

While at the rug plant, take a look at what and how they do it.

Gary

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
For real air dusting you need a mamoth air compressor and speicilized head which is awful expensive. outsoure this one and get to a class. My guess would be a Lillihan but its hard to tell with out seeing the border or the side. I'm sure Randy will be along shortly.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I did a search for Lilihan rugs. The ones from the 30's look allot like what I have here. Here is one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/c1930s-Antique-PERS ... 7C294%3A50

What kind of dyes are used and how should they be cleaned? I realize this is a high risk item that's why I am asking for help. Any cleaning advice you can offer will be much appreciated. I will test, weigh my options then clean or take it back. From what I was able to find on the net I might be worth up to $1500.00 if it was clean. The Custy screwed me down to cleaning for 120.00. I agreed to clean it because I want to try pit washing.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
You gotta be joking.

A miserable $120.00 to clean that with all the inherent risks.

They seen you coming mate.

How is that rug going to look in your lounge room ??

Ooroo,

:roll:

Ernie G

Listen to Gary, he makes alot of sense, or bring it back, don't make it your problem.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Ace, I would take that rug back immediatly. Here are your problems. Number one regardless of make of rug, it is a hand knot oriental and even it if doesn't have the greatest value, the value of cleaning is not linked to how much its cost but how long it takes. You have look at a number of factors. Number one is dry soil removal. You need to get all the grit and crap out before thinking about pit washing. Secondly, are the colors going to run. That is going to depend on the age of the rug and type of dyes. And you can't rely on dye testing. Its not full proof. You may have the cleanest dye test in the world and yet the instant that rug its the pit its like a dying cow. And to add insult to injury, the rapid shift the pee pee took from the acid to the alakine can loosen completely stable dyes. So if you can't set the dyes completely, can you correct this.. (again more time involved in dye stripping). Now you have the pit qualms, to get all that urine out of the rug, you are looking at a minumum 3 hours and maybe more depending on severity. The water might need changing as well so your looking at about 100 gallons of water minimally. Then there is fringe detailing and stripping if the cotton fringe soaks up loose dyes. Final grooming, and final vac. Add pick up and delivery time as well. So your looking at 6 man hours minimum with this rug. At 120, you just made $20.00/ hour.. Sometimes its better to pass, either make the lady understand that your time is worth something or tell her to have another cleaner ruin it.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
I guess we should all ask first, what is the size of the rug? If its only a 3x5... 120 itsn't soo bad! :) Tell us the size and we'll let you know if its worth it.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
If the customer brings them to us we would clean 2 of them for $149.99 and that's if they are 9 X 12. Smaller would be less.

Ken

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Ken,
Cool ,so you will clean this 1 piss soaked rug like this (10 x 8 ) for $75.00? I’m subbing it to you and making $45!
David,
Can you explain what kind of chemicals and the process is used for dye stripping?

I bought an air compressor at home depot it runs 5 CSFPM @ 90 PSI. I need one for the shop anyways. I may be able to dust with it if I take my time. Better than nothing. I will be getting into air duct cleaning at some point and am going to buy an air compressor that will run 15 SCFPM @ 185 for $2500.00 That should do nicely for dusting.
I played with that rug for a few seconds today. Color transfer onto a cotton towel with just water. I tested with white vinegar and no transfer. I may test and play with it a bit more. Thinking of calling the customer and explain the issues, telling her I is very likely to bleed and I am happy to return it or clean with written waver. Thanks for the guidance on this one!

Hey Chavez, Would you clean this? How much?

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
For me to clean that rug it would cost $4oo.oo $5.00 per ft. Than I would ask if she would like to take another step and protect the rug. I would charge her than 480.00. Also that can pea rug cna b a good canidate for moths, I would also check for moth damage as well.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
P.S. its not a lilihan, I just sent it to one of my mentors. If you could take a photo of the entire rug and then the back side of the one of the corners so we can see the edge and fringe at the same time, we can positively ID it for you.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
With much effort I was finally able to make out the script on the tag. It's a Bakhtiar. It has a Momeni mark. She says she got it recently at a large retailer which did not make any since until I learned that companies collect old rugs clean them in Iran and ship to the US. Any guess on age or value?

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
If you post or email me size, and a few pictures as well as note any wear, or stained areas I can have one of my appraisors give a ballpark. It is not a fine piece at all and is not very marketable today as their is a glut of used Persian rugs in the market.

Ken

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom