Rug pit?

Name
Jeff T
I am currently outsourcing my rugs.... I want to start to do all in house for QC, aswell as timing..... any ideas? Rug pit, porty, rug sucker-type-pole? Ideas?

Mikey P

Administrator
Our rug guy uses a concrete slab, two Portables Y'd together, drying racks, liner ponds and every once in a while, US to clean his rugs.

Reactions: Nomad74

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Not hard to make a temporary wash pit. 4x4's and pond liner. Use a sump pump to empty it. Make sure you screen the pump so lint doesn't get into it. If you get a rug that wet, you have to get it dry again. A rug sucker, heavy extraction tool like a zipper or roller vac will work. Not all rugs have to be immersion washed. Hang poles from ceiling using block and tackles. I put 4 inch white and pipe over steel poles so as not to leave a big jump in the middle of the rugs. Dusting the rugs is your biggest challenge. I use a combo of pile lifter and upright vacuum and although it's not the best system, it works ok. A grid and rug badger would be better. Take a course in oriental rug cleaning.

Reactions: Sierra Clean Care

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I'm very lucky. I have a large cement slab in my backyard that I clean area rugs on. When It calls for it, I make my own rug pit out of PVC and a tarp. Don't over think it guys. Below are pics of both. Look at all that urine that came out of that rug!

rugslab.jpg
RugPit.jpg

Reactions: Able 1

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
The only issue with these set ups is how time consuming it is to do each rug. You're likely to make more money per hour, cleaning carpets. But then I am sure Jeff is aware of it.

The only advise, is that if you know you are going to offer this service for sure, think long term.
If you can, try and buy staff that you'd be able to use in the future, as your volume will hopefully increase and you'll be able to incorporate this equipment when you mechanize the process to increase efficiency. Or go the cheap route.

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Jeff T
The only issue with these set ups is how time consuming it is to do each rug. You're likely to make more money per hour, cleaning carpets. But then I am sure Jeff is aware of it.

The only advise, is that if you know you are going to offer this service for sure, think long term.
If you can, try and buy staff that you'd be able to use in the future, as your volume will hopefully increase and you'll be able to incorporate this equipment when you mechanize the process to increase efficiency. Or go the cheap route.
I take in 6-10 rugs a week.... the volume is there...

Name
Jeff T
I take in 6-10 rugs a week.... the volume is there...
I did buy a used Avenger TM today, a drieez dehu, 6 large snail fans, 4 wands, a fresh water pond, 2 waste tanks, 3 RX20's, 350' of vac hose, hose reel, 350' of solution line on a reel, 2 - 5 gal. Pails of industrial oxy powder, 3 cases of off brand carpet prespray , 5 gal of industrial degreaser, box of fittings,and some other shyte I can't remember..... all I want is the dehu, TM, and snail fans.... going to put the TM on a rolling dolly.....

Name
Jeff T
I did buy a used Avenger TM today, a drieez dehu, 6 large snail fans, 4 wands, a fresh water pond, 2 waste tanks, 3 RX20's, 350' of vac hose, hose reel, 350' of solution line on a reel, 2 - 5 gal. Pails of industrial oxy powder, 3 cases of off brand carpet prespray , 5 gal of industrial degreaser, box of fittings,and some other shyte I can't remember..... all I want is the dehu, TM, and snail fans.... going to put the TM on a rolling dolly.....
Oh, and a little giant 3ht....

cleanking

Name
Jordan King
Use the search function on here and on Facebook groups. This topic has been beaten to the ground.

Get to a class, master rug cleaner is worth the investment. ARCS classes are worth it. Rug summit is a good event to network at. IICRC rug cleaner isn't bad, just very intro level. Everyone else is a joke as real life instructors IMHO, sorry not sorry if that offends anyone, it's the truth.

Name
Jeff T
Using some of that stuff will get you into big trouble when cleaning some rugs..
I'm not planning on using the chems for rugs. It was a score from a local guy. I am however planning on using the TM, the dehu, and snail fans. I am going to get certified in rug cleaning in the next 3-4 months.

Reactions: Papa John

steve_64

I'll stick with my tarp and garden hose. Hose em down in the driveway suck em dry with the truck mount and pull em in the garage to dry.

When I'm done just put it all away and I have the space back. But I'm not doing them weekly.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
I'd check in to the Rug Sucker and the whole Versa wash floor and marinator ponds Joe has developed. Why reinvent the wheel when he has come up with a great, affordable solution that is easily set up and taken down.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Found it. What's the feedback about the Rug Sucker set up?
Are you asking me about my home built jobber? It was okay. Now it sits in my backyard and is home to Snakes.

I'm sure if I did more volume of area rugs I would use it more.

Name
Nate W.
It's works decent, nothing to write home about... I don't have the time nor patience to use it everyday or on every rug... Got the "Sucker" part of it right...

cleanking

Name
Jordan King
The rug sucker is a great idea, especially if you're trying to get started. For serious production it is very inefficient. But it beats water clawing a 10x14

Reactions: Chris A

Chris A

Name
Chris
I use a rug sucker. I only wash a half dozen rugs or so a week, usually on Fridays. I end up spending a lot of time waiting for the sucker to be done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom