Rug Protection

Josh Almanza

Name
Josh Almanza
Is it a good idea to protect a wool rug right after it was just cleaned. Customer wants her wool rugs protected after coming out nicely after cleaning them...which product would you recommend using to apply to these rugs?

Tom Forsythe

There are four features for a protector: stain resistance, soil resistance, water repellency, oil repellency. I would argue that stain resistance is the feature needed most for a wool rug. If that is true for your customer, then I would pick a protector with an acid dye resistor. There are a few choices of protector in the marketplace that have acid dye resistors. I think that Prochem and Hydramaster have one with an acid dye resistor and there are probably others. I would recommend Maxim Advanced for Wool, but I am passionate yet biased as I formulated this product in 2011.

If you asked about upholstery, then I would have provided a different answer. Your choice should be guided by the needs of the item that you are being handsomely paid to protect.

Reactions: J Scott W

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
We have large volume Rug Plant customers who use our Ultraseal solvent protector.

No additional water added & top protection.
Top untreated, bottom drops applied top & bottom and blotted with tissue.

usealtest[1].jpg

Tom Forsythe

Larry, your product works very well on upholstery. If the question was about fabrics then I would have mentioned your product and would not mentioned Maxim Advanced for Wool for fabrics. Wool is a different matter. Area rugs and even broadloom are not protected like most upholstery is protected at the source of manufacturing. Wool is not a flat surface, but has a lot of surface area to protect. Spills are generally from 3 feet and most of the spill penetrates the surface and into the fiber to stain the rug. An acid dye resistor works like a dye and fills up open dye sites limiting staining.

However, the best protection for a rug is to treat with a product with an acid dye resistor (anionic). After the rug is dry (Maxim SOS is very good in this situation), then add a solvent protector (non-ionic). At that point you do have great stain resistance, water repellency, oil repellency and no re-soiling residue. The two protectors do not work against each other (based on their compatible charges), but complement one another. No one protector provides above average stain resistance, soil resistance, water repellency and oil repellency. Even with this combination, the soil resistance is average.

If you want one product, then one which has an acid dye resistor is the best for wool as stains are its greatest danger to continued use. There are some rugs which are bleeders where a solvent makes sense as does our water based Maxim Advanced for Upholstery with Dye Loc. Dye Loc inhibits bleeding of colors as do solvents.

Just because a lot of people use something does not mean it is always the best choice. I hope the rug plants who use your product have good ventilation as I would not want to breath in solvent fumes all day based on the amount you would need to apply to a rug to approximate the protection you get on a fabric. We have a lot of cleaners who use Flex Powder automatically when the better choice for some jobs would be Bio Break or another pre-spray. In short, the answer for protection, pre-spray, rinses, spotters, etc. should not always be one product.

Whitney K.

Name
Whitney Knight
@Tom Forsythe I am trying to protect 2 wool rugs and the information in your previous post is the best I’ve found.

Let me preface this with saying I am not a professional however access to services that I would trust to do the job in my area is limited.

With that being said I have a dog that does all the dog things and really enjoys a nice rug to relax on afterwards and a 2-year-old. We have been through several rugs in the past couple of years.

I just purchased 2 wool rugs that I am eager to protect from dry and liquid stains and the oils and smells that accompany my dog.

I am very interested in using Maxim SOS but I’m wondering if you would be able to recommend a solvent protector to follow it with since oils are a concern for me. Or would Maxim Advanced in one of its forms address my concerns most thoroughly?

Tom Forsythe

I just purchased 2 wool rugs that I am eager to protect from dry and liquid stains and the oils and smells that accompany my dog.
Maxim Advanced for Wool will help to protect from dry soils, liquid stains and oils. Protections from the body odors is best achieved by frequent cleaning of the rug and bathing of the dog. Protection from urine odors is best done by using a bacteria on each urine spot before the urine dries after blotting up as much of the urine with a damp towel. Too many accidents will necessitate even more frequent and more expensive cleanings.

Whitney K.

Name
Whitney Knight
Maxim Advanced for Wool will help to protect from dry soils, liquid stains and oils. Protections from the body odors is best achieved by frequent cleaning of the rug and bathing of the dog. Protection from urine odors is best done by using a bacteria on each urine spot before the urine dries after blotting up as much of the urine with a damp towel. Too many accidents will necessitate even more frequent and more expensive cleanings.
Thanks so much @Tom Forsythe! Luckily the dog never urinates indoors. There is still to potty train the toddler though...
I appreciate you’re quick response very much! I found someone that will apply your product forif I provide it at $1.7/sqft. He would only supply scotch Guard so I’m already skeptical. If I purchased an adequate sprayer and followed product guidelines is DIY a possibility? I tend to like doing things myself.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Thanks so much @Tom Forsythe! Luckily the dog never urinates indoors. There is still to potty train the toddler though...
I appreciate you’re quick response very much! I found someone that will apply your product forif I provide it at $1.7/sqft. He would only supply scotch Guard so I’m already skeptical. If I purchased an adequate sprayer and followed product guidelines is DIY a possibility? I tend to like doing things myself.
Doing it yourself is probably better. For best performance, use a sprayer with an 8004 flat fan tip rather than the cone tip that usually comes with it. Follow the instructions and at least you will know you have done it right. The cone tip will work, just not as well. At least a 1 gallon pump up sprayer.

Reactions: Whitney K.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington

For any protector to give maximum protection, it should be applied to a clean rug with no or minimal residue from detergents. The rug should be cleaned and rinsed well before anyone applies the protector.

Reactions: Whitney K.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom