Rug question

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
Silk on silk rug. 10x13. Not too old. Mabe from Afghanistan according to the owner. Definitely is silk. Value according to owner is 30K. Very fine line. Muted colors, beige, off white and soft colored pattern. Has a dog vomit stain, yellow. Other than that in perfect condition. Any ideas for the yellow stain. They just want the spot done. Tried a neutral cleaner with no success. Bac out was my next thought but I am afraid the stain is permanent. Any thoughts?
Al

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
You could try a reducer, but everything you do to the stain will likely damage the silk since the silk was already damaged by the vomit.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Release of liability is a must in such a situation. Explain the risks before you proceed and have them sign it.

If a reducer is used and it is too strong, it may create a halo around the stain.

Brian, do you use a special (different) procedure to restore the pile in silk rugs after the cleaning?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We don't wash them or use a lot of water unless they're trashed.
We know the post-wash step is going to require a fine brush, steam, and a lot of effort.

John Watson

Had I zactly like that, same size differrnt color, Brian remined me to use the screen to make sure we created no pile distortion, we used the dry wet dry process but had minamal results. Used the powdered mineral for odor absorbstion which worked great..

rhyde

Name
rhyde
A reducer on an organic stain…?

I’d use oxidizer added to an appropriate detergent formulation, a little dwell time, gentle agitation and a good flush

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
rhyde said:
A reducer on an organic stain…?

I’d use oxidizer added to an appropriate detergent formulation, a little dwell time, gentle agitation and a good flush

Could be a synthetic dye in the dog's food.

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
I kinda figured that was the deal but thought I would ask to see if there was a magic pill for the stain. Thanks for the replies. Told the customer I would only reclean if I did the whole rug and even then no guarantee of stain removal or I would cheerfully refund his previous charge. So, he brings it into the shop when I am out and says "Tell Al I just want the spot done." GRRR. He is the personal assistant to someone who has too much money.
Al

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Bryan,
How do you apply the steam?
I regret that we no longer have a steam boiler, so we have to use a portable steamer. One small section at a time...

Randy, YOU can do whatever you want! I'm nervous enough about what someone might do to a silk rug to even make too many cleaning suggestions. I've seen too many "afters."

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
So, the guy comes back the second time to pick up the rug. Oh yeah he says looks much better. Then he takes his fingernail and aggressivly rakes the silk fibers against the nap. I said "Never do that to a silk rug" then I groomed out the distortion. I may have over reacted but apologized by saying "Hey, I guess I like rugs a little too much". Thanks again for your help all.
Al

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom