Rug stuck in centrifuge

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
Anyone have any new ideas/tricks on how to get a large domestic shag out of our centrifuge?
We haven't been able to remove it and there's only front access. We think the boys may have wrinkled the rug towards the back by pushing it too far in. The rug fills the wringer tightly with little room to work with.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Oh yes, seen most everything. Have pictures too. Call me for a possible remedy.
So Joe calls me and says he must watch the baseball game and call me in the morning.

Here is the remedy I would have suggested to Joe:

First thing to insure safety of the rug, don't tug on it excessively. Get some dehumidification going into the cylinder or an air mover at minimum for a few hours. Maybe a day. When the rug dehydrates a bit, it will begin to implode off the cylinder just a bit. This will allow you to insert two 10' - 12' boards in between the rug and cylinder wall the full length in. This will likely take patience and a bit of time so as not hurt the rug. Be careful! Position them on top at 11 and 2 o'clock. Next roll the cylinder 180 degrees so the boards are carrying the weight of the rug in the position of 4 and 7 o'clock. Now gently pull the boards out like a field stretcher carrying a body that is injured on the battle field. The rug should follow.

The last time I stuck one in was last week. I put an Indo-Persian, 6 X 9, into my small 6 foot centrifuge. I even back rolled it for a test of our machines ability. The rug layered so many times it had NO center opening in the middle. The cylinder was a packed in with a wet rug all the way to the back of the cylinder! It extracted wonderfully. But the rug was stuck for two days. I air dried it and used two hockey sticks and proceeded as outlined above. Success occurred again with the stretcher technique.

Now I am done telling on myself for tonight.

Name
Nate W.
So maybe a "dual-port" wringer does have some merit.....:clap:

I've heard of people using thin CGD carpets to roll on the outsides of rugs that are delicate/dhurrie's so the centrifuges don't mess them up..... I've not heard of rugs getting stuck in them....

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
So maybe a "dual-port" wringer does have some merit.....:clap:

I've heard of people using thin CGD carpets to roll on the outsides of rugs that are delicate/dhurrie's so the centrifuges don't mess them up..... I've not heard of rugs getting stuck in them....

A dhurrie does fine in the horizontal centrifuge.

Our Centri-Maxx® is designed so that the operator can see the rug unfurl and rinse the entire length of the rug as necessary. Therefore, no closed door. As a rug washer, designing, building and using the equipment we offer, my partner and I found this to be important. The operator using our equipment can control the speed of the cylinder while at the same time watching the rug's activity as it begins to unroll and hug the cylinder. Often the damage that may be caused to rugs can come when the rug begins to fold or flop over on itself without knowing it. Thus, having g-forces distorting the pile or creasing the rug or worst yet, breaking weak foundations that ordinarily would be just fine if it assumed the shape of the cylinder evenly during high speed rotation.

I hope that clarifies some things.

And yes, we do have client's that use our 'dual port' with a nylon plunger on a long pole when necessary to remove the large heavy rugs. I am not a fan of buying a DP-14 unless you absolutely need it and will use it. (It's more money too)

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
So Joe calls me and says he must watch the baseball game and call me in the morning.
I was at the A's /Dodger game ( A's won in extra innings). Did I say call me in the morning? How rude of me. Anyway, this morning Tom was gracious enough to explain his remedy. I'll let you know how it works.

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
image.jpg
image.jpg

The implosion process

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
If we didn't have a pile of rugs to clean we'd be fine. Looks like life support. We're going to let it
go over night and give it a try in the morning.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
What are the chances he'll get the rug out?
The A's already won, which is what, a one in a million chance?

What are the odds? You just can't get that lucky twice.

Slice and dice Joe. A few good seams and they'll never notice.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Okay, now which one was the one that got it stuck?!?

Joe could dig a little deeper and buy our 18" diameter 14 foot long centrifuge to eliminate some of his woes. (The machine he has is a fine machine but small for many of the rugs in the American market)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom