rug with mildew.

Bucey

Name
FFA?
My aunt call me about a rug that sits on her pool house tile floor. I guess the floor is releasing a lot of moisture and has cause the rug to mildew or mold to form? Not sure what type of rug but she is very frugal. There is no real risk in this for me so just wanted to know how I should clean and prevent any mildew from returning. Im almost sure the fiber will be nylon or olifein. thanks

matt sheppard

you can clean mold out fairly easily by soaking it with OSR and rinsing it out. prevention is kinda tough since it always damp. is it small enuff to put in the sun on a regular basis?

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
OSR can't kill the mold.

If you want proper procedure to deal with a moldy rug here it is:

First a heavy spray application of Microbran space spray plus. Let is sit for 30 minutes or so, then a full pit wash utilization Microbran clean carpet santizer, rotary scrub while its in the bit or roll it, be careful if its tufted as you will more than likely delaminate it. you will need to reglue it as well. (hence why most people don't decontaminate tufted rugs.. to reglue the backing your are looking at a good 100 dollars in glue just for a good sized 6x9 and alot more labor)

Once the rug you will need to saturate it for up to 8 hours to kill all of the contaminants. Then remove from pit and flood rinse it till it rinses clear. If its synthetic I would then follow up with a HWE utilizing High heat as a final rinse and extrac, extract, extract. Then you want to dry as quickly as possible. There is some proof that drying rugs at 100 degrees or more but less than 130, will finish the decontamination process. The great oz can vouch for this step. Finally vacuum, protect, and send it back to your Auntie.

A

amazingcleansc

sweendogg said:
OSR can't kill the mold.

If you want proper procedure to deal with a moldy rug here it is:

First a heavy spray application of Microbran space spray plus. Let is sit for 30 minutes or so, then a full pit wash utilization Microbran clean carpet santizer, rotary scrub while its in the bit or roll it, be careful if its tufted as you will more than likely delaminate it. you will need to reglue it as well. (hence why most people don't decontaminate tufted rugs.. to reglue the backing your are looking at a good 100 dollars in glue just for a good sized 6x9 and alot more labor)

Once the rug you will need to saturate it for up to 8 hours to kill all of the contaminants. Then remove from pit and flood rinse it till it rinses clear. If its synthetic I would then follow up with a HWE utilizing High heat as a final rinse and extrac, extract, extract. Then you want to dry as quickly as possible. There is some proof that drying rugs at 100 degrees or more but less than 130, will finish the decontamination process. The great oz can vouch for this step. Finally vacuum, protect, and send it back to your Auntie.

holy shit. you better love your frugal aunt a lot lol

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
To stop the rug absorbing mildew again can be easy, or it can be, arrrr, ? the opposite of frugal.

The easy way out, don't put the rug back on the floor that is releasing moisture.

The less than frugal way, have the floor fixed to stop the migration of moisture.

To frugally clean the rug, probably buy a new one with no mildew.

Ooroo,

:roll:

PS ::: I don't know about over there, but down under, the terminology for mould and mildew is two entirely different kettles of fish.

It is mould that causes mildew in Australia & Canada, whereas in the U.S. it is mold that causes mildew.

Now isn't that all as clear as mud. ??

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The heat part of the equation had to do with killing the nasties caused by sewage contamination. Mildew doesn't seem that tough to deal with.

There are a couple of fairly simple options, but one would be too much for an all-synthetic rug and another would damage a wool pile/cotton foundation rug. Plese let us know exactly what you're going to be cleaning and I'll jump back in.

Bucey

Name
FFA?
yeah my fruggal aunt just wanted to buy my gal of microban. she wouldnt even let me clean it. Pissed off, I just got through spending over 300 bills with her at the florist, and all she wanted to do is buy my microban. And I needed the stuff a couple of days later, to boot.
Cheap!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom