Rugs as pet toilets - what do you flush with?

I just stick them in the street and let a hydrant run for a bit. :shock:

8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgQ5omgAJz08]

danielc said:
I just stick them in the street and let a hydrant run for a bit. :shock:

8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgQ5omgAJz08]

I bet there is more urine on that hydrant then that rug.. They really should be using gloves. :)

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Lisa

If Terje makes a technical post, its serious.

Regarding his avatars: He sees them as a gift to the board members, which is of course primarily made up of "adolescent" males.

Did you know according to a recent study that men are considered to be adolescent until they are in their late 30's? Most women I've shared that study with tell me its more like their late 60's.......

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Jim Pemberton said:
Lisa

Did you know according to a recent study that men are considered to be adolescent until they are in their late 30's? Most women I've shared that study with tell me its more like their late 60's.......

Have you been talking to Joan Vawter? :lol:

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Thanks for the insight Jim. I'm okay with adolescent ... look who I work with. :)

Terry - thanks for the pee video. So, fels comes in simple bars, are you using it only on the urine areas or is that how you are washing that entire rug? It just seems a bit tough not using a mix. Sorry for all the questions, I've just only used it on certain spots/stains, not a large area.

Danial - great video. There actually is a rug plant in my town where they use a fire house to wash their rugs. It can be effective, just need to be careful on some. Some plants use pressure washers, but one of my rug pals had to put "training wheels" with his to make sure his guys did not get too close and etch the fibers, which happens on a Chinese rug.

Lisa

Bjorn

just use the fels on problem spots it works great as a first scrub with abused fringe

Ron K

All rugs can be etched and ruined with to much preasure, not just Chinese. If I had to put training wheels on anything I think I'd just retrain someone else or have that person pushing a broom. I was going to say they could cut underlayment but you can't put wheels on a razor blade can you.

-JB-

Name
JB
Lisa seriously, you haven't tried fels at all ?

Great post BTW.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
I've used it in the field on certain stains, especially ink ... but not on cleaning fringe. Course we immerse the rugs, and scrub them with shampoo in the bath, so we usually don't have issues with fringe cleaning.

In workshops, when we have not had the luxury of a full cement wash floor, I've found that All Fiber shampoo, and cotton shampoo (masterblend), works great. It just has never occurred to me to put the fels bar to it. I'll have to do a side by side test of this ... last clinic we did a side by side encap and steam clean (truckmount) of a small Chinese gunned rug, then encap on end of fringe, and hand scrub the other end.

From looking down on the rug - they cleaned up equally well. and the fringe a bit better with the encap. But the residue was a bit tacky. Vacuumed the rug really well next day - but I do believe that one end would resoil more than the other.

I was impressed though. Though I know I could hose the rug down and get it much better. :) It was just nice to see a side by side example. I'll see if I can dig up those photos...

Lisa

-JB-

Name
JB
HP's competition?
_______________________________________________________________________________________

okay T I just tried your Fels trick on the end of a 4X6 ori that I just cleaned 4mo. ago, took two flushes last time....

seems to have worked, lathered up the Fels, rinsed the snot outta it...

VIOLA!

No Odor!

Thanks bud!

Name
George Valliant
Wow! A lot of useful info here.

I'm on my way to pick up a urine soaked rug from a custy now.

Guess I'll build one of them PVC washpits in my garage and go from there.

Thanks!

Joe Bristor

can't handle all the strong odors of alot of products ?
buy a drum of 70% glycolic, the stuff used in most all fiber rinses.
super concentrated, vy little odor, no stability or freeze\thaw issues, long shelf life.
works great on urine salts and stabilizing dyes.
Dupont touts its chelating qualities.
Followed with odorless plant based surfactant, dwell & flushing or odors and cleaning.
no oxidizers or reducers. just a fresh, clean smell.

Reactions: bensurdi

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
Lisa,

Look what I apparently overpaid for this morning. Where are you buying your acid?

Qty Cat # Name Size Price
2 8001-41 Acetic Acid, glacial, 99% 4 x 3.8 liter $97.55
Subtotal : $195.10

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
Lisa, we have had great success with MB Skunk out.. The odor can be very strong but we usually knock it down in dilution to about 2.5 oz to a gallon and add about a gallon to gallon and a half to a urine soak rug. If its a potential dye bleeder I'll pretreat entire rug with acetic acid as well to keep the dyes from migrating and setting into the lighter areas. Had that low of a dilution, the smell of skunk it is a non issue and because of its solvency there is no need for any additional soap during the wash process after the submersion. Usually three hours or so.

Master blend has oked the Anti Allergen Deoderizer for wool rugs but at slightly lesser dilution than recommend directions.

Jim.. the anti allergen deoderizer is based on Chlorine Dioxide and has proven very effective without much problems that normal oxidizers produce on wool carpets.

What dilution rate is recommended?

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Typically no stronger than 10 to 1, but test your dilution in an inconsipcuous area and realize that in urine soaked situations, the dye is already destabilized and weakened so you may still see some slight bleaching or discoloring in certain rugs.

Also they now make "At Last" which is the same deoderizer as the Anti Allergen but with a citrus fragrance.

Reactions: Jeff Madsen
Last year, I picked up two rugs from a condo. Pee pads everywhere. Both rugs trashed with feces and urine. A pair of polypropylene wilton weaves. One was actually a "1.5 million point" Orian they probably paid $200 for and it was a nice rug. These rugs get sprayed with a 4 jet wand on a 1500 psi electric power washer. The same one I do rest rooms with. This was the best $750 I spent in a while. This is no toy from Lowes or Home Depot. After being sprayed, I get them with a brush on my 175 rpm and a generous amount of shampoo. Then rinsed with the pressure washer, extracted with water claw front and back, hung up overnight to dry.
There is no way and turds remain. The customer prepaid, about $110 with the pet treatment, so I left them outside his door a day or two later. He calls a week later, one of the rugs is loaded with turds and smells bad. He will leave it outside for me to pick up and redo. I unroll it. The turds are fresh and fully formed. No way that is on me! I roll it back up and leave a little note saying this is not me.

So what do I flush with? Synthetics maybe quat 32 (4 oz to gallon) or enzymatic cleaner. Wool or silk, just water, maybe quat 32 at 1/2 strength. Never enzymatic. Why? Enzymatics digest proteins. What is wool and silk from? Rug Cleaning 101. Pretty much everything gets hit with this at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:

bensurdi

Name
Benjamin Surdi
Lisa where to you order your acid from? I'm tired of running to costco so frequently I'd rather just mix it up in a 55 gallon drum and have it available as needed.

What I've been doing lately is hitting it with acid, then mixing up in a bucket a mixture of DD12, Quat, And Sapphire Rug Shampoo and than applying that in the bath. Hitting it with the Cimex and flushing fresh water through it as the sum pump runs. Seems to knock out even that NASTY cat urine issues.

Ben

Ron K

Lisa where to you order your acid from? I'm tired of running to costco so frequently I'd rather just mix it up in a 55 gallon drum and have it available as needed.

What I've been doing lately is hitting it with acid, then mixing up in a bucket a mixture of DD12, Quat, And Sapphire Rug Shampoo and than applying that in the bath. Hitting it with the Cimex and flushing fresh water through it as the sum pump runs. Seems to knock out even that NASTY cat urine issues.

Ben

This is where you can get some 99% Concentration.
Integra Chemical
Acetic Acid Glacial
It's in Seattle!:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom