Rusted-Out Van Floor

RandyHilburn

The floor in our Ford cargo van has rusted-out under the vacuum hose reel (the reel could fall over at any time)! I went to a local body shop to see if they could put down some sheet metal and fix it, but they told us they don't do that type of work. Anybody ever had this type of problem and how did you resolve?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We had an old box truck that came from Canaduh, I think Tony must have owned it.:icon_razz:

Anyway the rust ate a hole near the drivers foot area. Someone refered us to the junk yard. One of the employees there said he could do it and he would use the hood of another vehicle. He cut out the old and welded in the whole area. Once he put the mat back down it was as good as new. :smile:

steve_64

plywood 3/4 inch pressure treated you can wrap it with marine grade carpet

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Sherman and Associates....Washinton mi

has any repair panels for any car or truck....jus lay it in there an weld around the edges.....

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I would remove equipment go to junk yard get the to cut you out the section of floor that is bad and weld a new one in place and bedliner in it.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
i have always installed 3/4" pressure treated plywood over the entire van cargo floor area before installing our truck mounts (have done this 5 times over the past 30 years).

First I use 40 lb.roofing felt to make a pattern to cut the plywood. Then I keep the felt on the floor, and use it as a gasket between the metal and the plywood, screwing the plywood down with stainless screws just long enough to penetrate 1/2" into the metal van floor (pre-drill holes).

Finally I install a diamond plate design industrial floor matting instead of carpet (glue down). Carpet will not withstand abuse like the rubber floor matting will.

It will cost a lot more to do the metal thing by the time you pay someone to weld it for you, and you'll still have metal which can rust again.

Last edited:
Reactions: AshleyMckendree

RandyHilburn

The floor in our Ford cargo van has rusted-out under the vacuum hose reel (the reel could fall over at any time)! I went to a local body shop to see if they could put down some sheet metal and fix it, but they told us they don't do that type of work. Anybody ever had this type of problem and how did you resolve?

Thanks for all the ideas!

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
i have always installed 3/4" pressure treated plywood over the entire van cargo floor area before installing our truck mounts (have done this 5 times over the past 30 years).

First I use 40 lb.roofing felt to make a pattern to cut the plywood. Then I keep the felt on the floor, and use it as a gasket between the metal and the plywood, screwing the plywood down with stainless screws just long enough to penetrate 1/2" into the metal van floor (pre-drill holes).

Where do you get the diamond plate matting
Finally I install a diamond plate design industrial floor matting instead of carpet (glue down). Carpet will not withstand abuse like the rubber floor matting will.

It will cost a lot more to do the metal thing by the time you pay someone to weld it for you, and you'll still have metal which can rust again.

Where did you get the matting, Bob?

Name
Yohance

This s a great fix

Back
Top Bottom