Saiger and I agree...

Mikey P

Administrator
We both give prices that include doing what ever it takes to get the carpet cleaned.

We never come back mid job and ask for Elbow Grease funding, Water Claw use, Red Dye removal or any of the other bullshit ways the newbs of this industry are taught to "raise your ticket"..

The types of people we like to work for would never call us back if we or our crews pulled those sort of antics...

thats all..

Able 1

Name
Keith
Yup, same here.. Upcharging is the reason I keep busy whithout advertising!! People are so used to it from other carpet cleaners, I think it's refreshing to have a straight up no pressure experience!!

You waterclaw Mike? That would take alot of time(and you have to charge), and after you charge them a big fee for it and it still stinks a week later? Not us..

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
What's your excuse to the repeat customer who asks you:
"Last year it was only $220. Why are you charging me $320 this time?"

We know it's because their little piss smelling dog is the reason. But if you're just listing it as carpet cleaning, how can they tell a difference between last time and this time if you don't label why you charged more?

Able 1

Name
Keith
I had one this year that I jacked up $100 based on a bad phone estimate from 3 years ago.. I told him his basement isn't one room and explained everything and refunded the extra charge. He'll be back, maybe not this year, but he will be back..:winky:

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
If we have to apply enzymes or deal with something special with pet urine, we might tack on a fee, but it is basically maybe to cover the additional cost of the product only and we tell them that, but we don't charge extra for spot or stain removal in general...no extra for Kool-Aid stains, no extras because we saw something as we got into it....No mileage fees....No package 1 -2-3.... (Protectant is an additional fee but we are not a hard sale type...only suggest it if we see a value for them at the time)

If we didn't see it, that's our fault....but in general, we charge a strong enough price to cover unexpected expenses...and then by doing so....we can make a profit and they not be surprised.

We also do not charge mileage...and we do have a minimum fee...but we really don't tell the clients "we have a minimum"...we just tell them when in more rural areas "we would like to be able to get at least $150 worth of work while we are there", and sometimes, we just tack on a couple cents more per sq foot charge for a distant area....

We just raised our per sq foot price this year by .02 cents and additional raised our per step cleaning fee by 20 cents....

I don't even tell our clients typically that we had a slight price increase....and by making a minimal price increase, we are not shell shocking our clients....

Even at per square foot pricing, we rarely have to go out on a job site before hand to do a quote...We can shoot them a ball park price by phone, and schedule the job....telling them, we will definitely give them a firm price once on site, but we do not want any surprises for any of us....

To be honest...most of the time we like challenges...but we honestly have just learned to communicate with our clients like humans should, and explain situations in an honest manner so as a service provider and a customer, we have respect for each other....

Ok....Now Marty is telling me "Shut UP" :)

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I'm the same way with charging mileage fees. With my area, I tell the customers that I need a minimum of work between $150-$300, depending on location. I've been getting several calls from areas 45min-1hr away from my location.

I guess that explains why some here are charging .45/sq ft from some that are charging .18 sq ft.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I am smack dab in the middle of my service area with good veins all around me.. "Here" on the post it in the middle.
14954158433521483494313.jpg

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Rate increases are explained that insurance and expenses go up every year. They understand that. And most people don't remember what you charged them last time.

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
My first week back so ... what do I know... but it was a decent first week. Picked up a small account, 80 properties, all single family home rentals. They told us that they were paying SS $99. for 3 carpeted bedrooms. We have a $200 min. I told Ann to have her come out to watch me do the first one. If they weren't pleased I wouldn't charge them. They have already scheduled another one this coming week. The fact that I pre-vacuumed blew her away!
Worked every day last week except one and spent it handing cards to property managers on Sanibel Island.
Just starting so ... will see how this week goes.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
My first week back so ... what do I know... but it was a decent first week. Picked up a small account, 80 properties, all single family home rentals. They told us that they were paying SS $99. for 3 carpeted bedrooms. We have a $200 min. I told Ann to have her come out to watch me do the first one. If they weren't pleased I wouldn't charge them. They have already scheduled another one this coming week. The fact that I pre-vacuumed blew her away!
Worked every day last week except one and spent it handing cards to property managers on Sanibel Island.
Just starting so ... will see how this week goes.

Welcome back! Already killing it. Keep up the great work.

Reactions: Bob Pruitt
[/QUOTE] We just raised our per sq foot price this year by .02 cents and additional raised our per step cleaning fee by 20 cents....
[/QUOTE]

Just curious on sq ft prices. Do you charge the cleanable sq ft or do you charge total carpet sq ft. I've heard people do it different way and I think I would like to give it a try.

steve_64

I've had plenty of customers offer more money while I'm working on difficult areas. I've never asked mid job and I refuse to accept customers offers. Some tip big.

But I think Mark nailed it with just being honest and communicate like an educated human.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
We price the same way. The only additional cost would be for pet urine remediation, and we quote that on the phone the best we can. We don't always know how many areas are effected until we are out there, but the price is presented before any work is done so the client can decided if they want to move forward with the work. Since that is more extensive than just cleaning since we are treating the backing and padding, so it is an additional charge. Protection is an additional charge. We review it on the phone. Some indicate right away they want it, others don't and others want to see how the cleaning turns out and then make the decision. We sell some form of protection on 90% of jobs...even if it's just one high traffic area. Many of the ones that say they don't want it on the phone, end up changing their minds.

Our clientele don't like surprises or to feel they are being "bait and switched". I spend a significant amount of time on the phone when doing an estimate and ask a lot of questions to make sure I'm as accurate as possible. I always review the areas that could be different and why and explain the estimate is based on the information provided by the client. It may change when we get there if it's different than what we discussed. We are honest and up front about what limitations we may have. Under promise and over deliver. This has served us very well over the years with many repeat clients and most of our new clients are referrals.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
If you don't charge more for trashed carpets or a bunch of red dye stains, that means that your non-carpet -abusing clients are footing the bill.

You may color it whichever way you like (its called PR), but that is exactly what it means. Be fair, reward your clients that take good care of their carpet with a fair price.

If the carpet is trashed due to a client negligence, you bet they are paying more- as they should. Because it takes a lot more time. Your mechanic does not charge the same for an oil change as they would an engine rebuild.

Once I quote a price I never change it, however if my pre-inspection reveals that it requires a lot more work. You bet your little PR fanny, it will be in the price.

Last edited:

SamIam

Name
sam miller
We both give prices that include doing what ever it takes to get the carpet cleaned.

We never come back mid job and ask for Elbow Grease funding, Water Claw use, Red Dye removal or any of the other bullshit ways the newbs of this industry are taught to "raise your ticket"..

The types of people we like to work for would never call us back if we or our crews pulled those sort of antics...

thats all..

You and Saiger see Red stains?

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
We just raised our per sq foot price this year by .02 cents and additional raised our per step cleaning fee by 20 cents....
[/QUOTE]

Just curious on sq ft prices. Do you charge the cleanable sq ft or do you charge total carpet sq ft. I've heard people do it different way and I think I would like to give it a try.[/QUOTE]

Cleanable surface roughly for us

Reactions: Nomad74

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom