Salesmanship For Dummies And Hacks

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Can anyone recommend a good book about salesmanship?

One that covers topics like attitude, price negotiation, Jedi mind-control, closing techniques, and all the other good stuffs that will make one more effective at the art of selling?

I know SFS has some good chit, but I'm looking for something a little more comprehensive specific to salesmanship.

Any good reads out there?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
my best friend was a general manager for a large VW/Toyota dealership.........we'd sit in my shop
and he'd tell me story's about all the ways they would screw the custies...believe me if you go to buy a car......take some duct tape and wrap yor bung hole up real tight.......

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Reactions: billyeadon

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Reactions: Desk Jockey

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
I like Tom Hopkins. There is an audio CD for 10 dollars on amazon that includes 3 of his best books. How to Master the Art of Selling is the book he is known for. I have friends... realtors, who have paid, or their companies have paid, thousands of dollars to spend the weekend at one of his 3 day training events. I actually prefer his audio books...he can be funny. I had my wife listen to the audio cassettes ... 13 (probably available on ebay as cds) of them and she internalized them. She is my secret weapon... she makes sales like no one I have ever seen.
By the way- Selling for Dummies is a Tom Hopkins written book.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Somebody mention books? Much to Marty's dismay, I love to read and talk about books but Mikey tagged me so put me in coach.

Mentioned above were car dealers (this would be the infamous Joe Girard) who was brought to task by Dan Pink in To Sell is Human (my current favorite book on selling.) Also I think a basic encyclopedia on selling is The little Red Book of Selling by Jeffrey Gitomer. He has a nice box set of audio CDs which contain several of his classics and his weekly emails are nice little short blogs to keep you sharp.

The above are great lists. The INC list is all the legends Ziglar, Hopkins, Tracy etc.

To me, the key to selling is understanding human nature and some of the best for this are Robert Cialdini https://www.amazon.com/Influence-Psychology-Persuasion-Robert-Cialdini/dp/006124189X
Dale Carnegie classic https://www.amazon.com/dp/067102703..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=10VM26Q7HF1586JTZC9T
Daniel Kahneman https://www.amazon.com/dp/037453355..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=BJP2QR2Q7F1GSYWMM8PEthis book is more difficult but Kahneman and his partner were awarded the Nobel prize in Economics for many of their studies publishes in this book. If you are wondering what economics have to do with selling, economics is actually the study of how people make decisions. Selling is all about getting people to make the decision you are encouraging.

To get a shameless plug in for my SFS partners Steve and Chuck: both have large segments on selling. Chuck is more focused on larger companies while Steve focuses more on O/Os. If you haven't been to SFS in awhile we continue to add more segments on selling. I actually have given up part of my time on Tuesday so Chuck can talk about selling.

Also starting late this year we will be having another class where I will be bringing in the passionate Mason Tomaino to talk about specific sales techniques for our industry.

To end this epistle (someone please give Marty the Cliff Notes of this) I would recommend subscribing to www.TED.com know as Ted Talks which are video presentations (under 20 minutes on all subjects). Start by going to the top 10 talks which will include many of the people mentioned above. Start with Simon Sinek https://www.amazon.com/Start-Why-Le...sr=1-1&keywords=start+with+why+by+simon+sinek
Before you go any further in your business understand your "why" this will also give you insight into what you are "selling" to your customer.

Sorry for the length of this. Be thankful you were talking to me face to face as this could go on for hours.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Frank, I've been Bill's wing man for a looong time. And there is no one I respect more.

BUT Bill LOVES to read (and think) "deep stuff". Most of us (including me) are just not on Bill's level.

I'm more of an ADD, "cut-to-the-chase" type. So a while back (in 217 words) I talked our SFS Team into crafting our "TOP 5 Sales TIPS for a Carpet Cleaner". (If you can't/won't read 217 words then ya better go git a "real job". I mean, this frivolous post has 95 words!)

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
So a while back (in 217 words)
There are a lot more than 217 words when you follow the links but every word is well chosen and each sentence gets to the point quickly. Excellent place for anyone in this business to get started! We are all selling... just not all doing it well. Great job @Steve Toburen !

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
There are a lot more than 217 words when you follow the links but every word is well chosen and each sentence gets to the point quickly. Excellent place for anyone in this business to get started! We are all selling... just not all doing it well. Great job @Steve Toburen !
OK, ya got me, Bob! I was "selling" with a promo! But even if you clicked (and read) all the links it was a LOT easier than the Library of Congress Yeadon was suggesting!

Reactions: Bob Pruitt

steve_64

Im a MUCH better salesman when I dont have to do the work too.

I always found sales to be easy.

Ken692

Name
Kenny
I ask them what they want, get them talking about the product or service. then try to let them know what I have or can do to fit what they want, when their thinking of what they want they get exited about the product or service, kind of selling themselves. I never can remember all the info in the books or sales techniques. But I have had great success letting them talk up the item.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
When I was a trailer salesman a long time ago when I was a loser, my boss made me read a book by zigziglar. I didn't sell any trailers. So don't read any zig books, unless you're gonna be selling silverware

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
I've always felt that if you believe in the product wholeheartedly and it is a necessary product, it sells itself and you are there to guide, encourage and educate the potential buyer about said product. To make them feel good about spending their money on it so to speak.
Some customers don't know they need a product, so you casually point it out and engage in conversation with them about it and the next thing you know they can't leave without it.
I've honestly never read any books on sales, I learned by selling my services to customers and it came naturally because I had the knowledge, enthusiasm and confidence in myself and my service. I will say however that I am likely going to check out some of the material above because there is always much to learn.
I would love to take the SFS class...had the chance this spring but the timing wasn't right. Maybe I will have that chance again real soon.

Reactions: Bob Pruitt

steve_64

The trick is getting top dollar. The customer should already be sold on the service before you close on the price. It's easy to sell yourself short
Throw out that number and let the customer digest it. Silence is your friend. Wait as long as it takes them to answer.

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom