Scotchgard on olefin...

hogjowl

Idiot™
In my opinion, yes and no.

Obviously, a 100% olefin fiber needs no protection from water based spills, but can gain some benefit from protection from oil based spills, being an oil-loving fiber. So, a good solvent protector might just benefit it, and the increased surface tension gained from a protector application will help prevent granular (dry) soil penetration. Dry soils can cause severe abrasion to an olefin fiber causing soil impregnation withing these micro-acclusions.

And ... after damage from wear, as mentioned above, these small scratches along the fiber can be filled by protector application and prevented from allowing soils to penetrate.

John Watson

Hey ya ol Snort, what a great answer, bet a bunch will still think is in pig latin though..I was right. Ody was there

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Keep your eye out for berber carpet that's been pulled out of a house or apartment and left piled outside.

Test it, and if its olefin, take it home and clean it.

Protect half of it with your favorite protector. Tape it down in the entrance of your office or garage, then watch what happens.

Then you'll know what to do.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Jim:

Please tell us what to do.

I'm too ADD to actually do that test.

Odin:

I may be full of shit, but until someone I respect tells me so, I'll keep believing what I've been taught.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I agree with Marty. Whether it is a solvent or water based protector I believe is irrelevant as they are just the carrier of choice for the actual protectant, though I'd defer to someone else with more chemistry expertise.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Ken;

Solvent-based fluorochemicals will provide better protection on olefin,
or any fiber for that matter.

You will have much better oil repellency,
and even better water stain resistance.

Cleaning by the customer or by the professional will be easier !

Larry

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Over the (too) many years I've been in this business, I've seen such claims made from "it doesn't work" to "its great" from people who are considered to be authorities.

(See: SOA testing as an example)

Thus, I think the best test is done with the cleaner's "stuff", and that cleaners are best served by observing the failure or success of their product(s) first hand.

I also just like being difficult in Tony's absence because it makes Marty so happy.

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
Well here's the deal. i was asked to price a large office and the office manager asked about protector. I am submitting a proposal on monday and I dont want to sell her protector if it isnt worth it. I just want to give her an honest answer and wont have the time for testing.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Anthony;

Most commercial carpets would benefit more with a maintenance program.

Walk-off mats will help if ground floor.

If the area has a lot of drink spills (coffee w/cream,etc.), then a protector is a good idea.

Larry

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
T said:
on a cgd how in the heck is a protector going to help the coffee and coke or what ever going to the backing.

you need to go to the hot seat room and read the comments from Mike from Hard Ball but I don't disagree with you

Larry said:
Most commercial carpets would benefit more with a maintenance program.

I would have to agree with this comment

if the olefin is a little worn and/or is crushed then it won't do you any good. I have not had any place were I have put down a protector on olefin where it has done me any good

some will say that most berbers in a residential situation is a blend of nylon and olefin so it would be partially beneficial

if she wants it then sell it to her

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
And if it is a commercial account, all that OMS (or other solvent) used as the carrier (if you choose what Larry recommends) is going to circulate in the entire building for a while.
May cause some serious complaints.

Name
Lee Stockwell
The MILLS apply Scotchgard and other protectors to their polypropylene products.

Pick up samples with such info on the label if you'd like to confirm it.

Thanks,
Lee

PS whether it WORKS or not, I'm with Jim...

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
from my very "limited" trials and observations, the greatest benefit to adding protectant to olie is our PROFIT margins :mrgreen:

..L.T.A.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I've done the tests Jim recommends just to convince hard-headed techs that protectants do work on olefin and wool, and there is a difference between treated at the mill nylon and treated again by us nylon.

I tell the commercial techs to apply protectant on every regular account that has nasty carpet. It will not only keep the carpet looking better longer, it will make their job easier next time.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Ofer;

On our premium fluorochemical, we utilize a faster drying and less toxic solvent compared to OMS.

It has less odor and over 5 years has generated only a handful of complaints.

Larry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom