Scrub (not strip) VCT with Cimex?

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Does it work well?

What pads? (I have the white Fiber Plus pads I use on carpet)

Will Simple Green do it? Going to run it through the tank.

I appreciate any advice. I'm cleaning some VCT tomorrow and am going to try to make quick work of it. I've stripped and waxed these areas before (twice a year for a couple years) and it is pretty much a nightmare. I don't want to keep management there all night again. The VCT is in employee areas and not seen by public. I just want it to look better. Thanks!

The Clean Machine

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Anybody? Better to just use my 175? Search wasn't a lot of help from Tapatalk. Maybe I'll try from PC later. Thanks.

The Clean Machine

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
I prefer the 175rpm because its more flexible on uneven vct (which is EVERY job). Cimex is too stiff in my humble opinion.
You can lean into a 175rpm easier.

We usually use a green pad with a local private label product called Action Plus, basically a light stripper.
I'm sure a green pad and a neutral cleaner or any degreaser would be fine. Depending on condition...

Name
Lee Stockwell
3M surface prep pads (SPP) under a 175. Instead of stripper use mild detergent and water. Squeegee off and refinish.

Excellent results massively quick.

Reactions: Russ T.

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
the cimex is decent

prefer OP ( with added weight) or rotary

SPP sounds like the best choice for what you want to accomplish

here is a video with only water! pretty easy to remove a few layers.

a deep scrub product will help for sure for added bite, especially if your using a rotary.

if you dont want to cut as deep as my vid... move fast! lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duGEVJkOSDU

Last edited:

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
3M surface prep pads (SPP) under a 175. Instead of stripper use mild detergent and water. Squeegee off and refinish.

Excellent results massively quick.

Thanks Lee. Are those SPP's more/less aggressive than green pads? I have some red pads too but could probably go by a janitorial supply on a hunt for the "SPP". Thanks!

The Clean Machine

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Disregard Lee. I did a bit of research and those things look nothing short of AWESOME! I'm going to try to find some around here. It's Sunday so this may have to wait until next time but we'll see.

How do,you deal with the edges?

Thanks!

The Clean Machine

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
Thanks Lee. Are those SPP's more/less aggressive than green pads? I have some red pads too but could probably go by a janitorial supply on a hunt for the "SPP". Thanks!

The Clean Machine

more, allot more lol

I made some to fit the doodlebug for corners

Last edited:

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Thanks guys. I suppose they must be much more aggressive to rip through several layers of old floor finish using nothing but water or a neutral floor cleaner. I can't get my hands on any today so I'll have to stock up for next time. I still struggle with VCT but I think I can get the hang of it if I keep practicing. I bet those prep pads will help a lot!

The Clean Machine

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
The prep pad along with the Orbot will strip the floor completely without having to use stripper. Just water.
The pad will not work on your rotary.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Thanks Ray. I don't own an Orbot. Will have to make due with my 175 for now.

The Clean Machine

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
if he wants to accomplish just a deep, fast clean it will work just fine on a rotary :)

ive used the spp pads with my rotary and cimex

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
I've tried to do it with a rotary and couldn't get the finish off without using a heavy duty cleaner or stripper.

Wet sanding the floor with the Orbot seems to be much faster.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I've tried to do it with a rotary and couldn't get the finish off without using a heavy duty cleaner or stripper.

Wet sanding the floor with the Orbot seems to be much faster.
Ray please note the first post in this thread as to what he wanted to do.

I know for a FACT that SPP pads work without heavy stripper chemicals. I do usually add a little detergent to make handling the water a little easier, but it works without it as well.

This has been a game changer for me, minimizing labor and chemical exposure for all of us, while saving time and money.

I suspect someone is doing it wrong.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Yes, I'm somewhat new to VCT. It takes me forever to do a decent job. I've GOT to get QUICKER!

The Clean Machine

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
I used a Norton medium grit Maroon prep pad on a rotary and was not able to get it to work.
The same pad was put on an Orbital machine and it worked great.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
cimex is awesome on floors....

sorry just saw this post....

cimexs wont fling the shit around like the 175 will...

plus it has that multiple pattern of scrubbing (1 pad 1 direction, the head the other) which is why planetary machines work so well on stone floors, and concrete to cut...

and yes I use a black pad on mine...(of course i dont see the need for 8 different pads like some do)

and i used an orbital years ago...and well was less the impressed.....maybe they had a bad design.....just didnt like it much...the planetary motion works much better imho

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
cimex is awesome on floors....

sorry just saw this post....

cimexs wont fling the shit around like the 175 will...

plus it has that multiple pattern of scrubbing (1 pad 1 direction, the head the other) which is why planetary machines work so well on stone floors, and concrete to cut...

and yes I use a black pad on mine...(of course i dont see the need for 8 different pads like some do)

and i used an orbital years ago...and well was less the impressed.....maybe they had a bad design.....just didnt like it much...the planetary motion works much better imho

Do you put a chem in the Cimex tank? Did you say you use black (strip) pads? I assume they are 8" pads?
Thanks for the help.

The Clean Machine

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
Deep scrub or neutral cleaner sure. Just never ever put stripper in there :)

8" yes. No one stocks them around here so I make my own out of regular pads using an olfa knife

sent via tapatalk.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Welp, you have 8 different opinions so good luck :dejection:.

I do want to try out the SPP pads for scrubbing lee was talking about.

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
I have heard that as well.

I have yet to try them but someone I know prefers the lower grit twister pads over the spp. Pretty sure its the red one 400 grit. Apparently dont clog and last allot longer
Is anyone able to comment on that?

Here is a bran new install where I needed to only remove the factory finish.

This was an old spp pad used on a few other jobs (rinsed out of course ). Watch in hd, pretty easy to see the factory finish lift off as I get closer. Cimex will also do this nicely using spp just need to to address few inches away from the baseboard with a doodlebug spp

I have another machine coming in soon but ill try and get some video of the cimex using spp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U05Mjv41XA0

Last edited:

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I think that with the right tools and some more practice, I WILL START PUSHING FOR MORE VCT. I find I'm my biggest critic and am very particular. The job last night turned out pretty good. I was there (alone) for a little over 6 hours and will bill $750. I can't complain about that but I know I can do better. I appreciate the advice and really looking forward to trying those SPP's.

The Clean Machine

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The 3-M SPP pads are amazing, Lockhart recommended them to use and they really kick butt. :icon_cool:

I still need to get a portable that has the floor vacuum squeegee and has the ability to rinse too. That should speed us up some.

Last edited by a moderator:

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
yes 8" i found some at a freight damage type store, and bought enough.............well lets just say i may never need 8" blacks EVER :icon_redface::icon_redface::icon_redface:

and the only time i put anything in the tank (and its only water) is if i am worried about the floor drying out

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
The 3-M SPP pads are amazing, Lockhart recommended them to use and they really kick butt. :icon_cool:

I still need to get a portable that has the floor vacuum squeegee and has the ability to rinse too. That should speed us up some.

Richard,
Have you used the SPP's under the Cimex or 175? How long do they last?

The Clean Machine

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yes it worked fine with the 175.

We haven't tried scrubbing with a Cimex or an Orbot. They may work well just didn't want to get them messy with slurry.

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
I should practise what I preach but take painters tape and go along the outside of the machine. Barely any mess to deal with after :)

sent via tapatalk.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom