Sealing grout over a tile and grout floor that was waxed ten years ago.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
My day yesterday was crazy. I was not prepared for what came at me.

I arrive at the house, expecting to clean some kitchen, dining room, a couple bathrooms of tile and grout floor. Average time expected to be there 2.5hrs. I was wrong!

She had those rooms, a laundry room, a tiled shower and steam room, and a tile counter top in her bathroom. I didn't have enough sealer, so in the middle of the job, I drove 30min to home depot to get some.

But back to the cleaning: 3hrs into the cleaning job, I noticed that her grout was blotchy in her kitchen, dining, laundry and guest bathroom. She told me then that she just remembered WAXING her tile and grout about ten years ago. Had I known this prior to the job, I would've not done it.

I told her If she wanted me to try to get the wax out, I'd have to come back later with some floor stripper, charge her extra, and Attempt to strip the wax out with no guarantee.

After I thought about it, I suggested to not make a second attempt, due to charging her more and the chance of not getting any better results, since the cost of the job was already at $670.

So I sealed over the blotchy, grout to protect the grout that wasn't blotchy. What would you've done? And is it gonna make it more blotchy with the sealer over the wax spots?

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
IMG_0590.JPG

Melt wax with steam and dissolve it with any stripper. It will come out.

Old sealant, though, is a crap shoot.

Name
Bruce
When she called about getting her Tile & Grout cleaned I would have set an appointment to look at it first , then been prepared to test that Tile & Grout. For that very reason I never give a price or book a tile job over the phone before I have seen it , touched it and smelled it.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
When she called about getting her Tile & Grout cleaned I would have set an appointment to look at it first , then been prepared to test that Tile & Grout. For that very reason I never give a price or book a tile job over the phone before I have seen it , touched it and smelled it.
What? You don't taste it?

Name
Nate W.
Agreed.

Always pre inspect new tile jobs

What about old tile jobs?:lol:

@Cleanworks was here.....

My mom had me clean her church and they used wax on it after..... I refused to clean it again because of it... The stuff I've read on here about getting old wax off is not something I'd like to tackle....

I advised them to not use wax but who am I?

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I wasn't gonna waste a full day's worth of work on a job 35min one way away from my home.

And due to my limit of knowledge on wax with grout at the time I was on the job, I just made the decision to clean it the best I can, and seal over what was there.

Even If I went prior to pre-inspect the job, I don't think I would've noticed the wax, because the soil and dry cleaning chems were covering the wax. The blotchy spots were only coming to the light after I agitated the grout.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Wax comes off with stripper. Stripper may not be safe for all floors.
Even on 10year old wax that the grout possibly absorbed? I made 3 calls that day to people that have more experience than me, and asked them about it. 2 out of 3 people said that the grout would probably still be blotchy

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I don't know if it's just the camera angle but the grout looks like it's higher than the tile. And put down by a 3 year old.

Mikey P

Administrator
I don't know if it's just the camera angle but the grout looks like it's higher than the tile. And put down by a 3 year old.

the install is just how it should be. The tile's edges are un even in efforts to give it a stone paver look.

Too many cooks in that kitchen.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I arrive at the house, expecting to clean some kitchen, dining room, a couple bathrooms of tile and grout floor. Average time expected to be there 2.5hrs. I was wrong!

Dam, he must have eaten his Wheaties! T&G take me forever... I more than likely would have been there 5-6 hours...:(

Get yourself a small jug of (safe for stone)stripper on the truck.

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
Why? because the edge is uneven?
Ok maybe it's just me then? The uneven edges make the job of wiping off the excess color much more difficult compared to a straight sharp edge. If you disagree with that then you must have a better technique than I do. Or a more steady hand? These take me twice as long to color seal.

Mikey P

Administrator
When did you stop cleaning Bob?

Was Color Sealing around back than?

With the Grout Perfect applicators, it doesn't really matter is some product gets on the tile. Scrub it in, wipe off the bulk of it, 175 the rest later..

grout_qt.jpg

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
Yes it was around. Went to a 3 Day School in Long Beach. Grout perfect applicators weren't though. Squirt it in and little brushes. So I stand corrected? You still need to run a 175 over a sharp edged tile? I never did. Damp cloth wipe and gone. My experience with the bigger tiles and wider grout lines is hitting it with a 175 can also knock some of the color out of the grout line. Again not an issue with non-shaped edges.

Mikey P

Administrator
Id use a 175 on big jobs.

If it takes the product off it was never going to last in the first place. Good Color Seals should form a virtually permanent bond on contact.
It you have took wait for it to dry to attach, it's going to fail.

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
I look forward to taking additional classes...I'm under no illusion that I don't have plenty to catch up on and learn. Thanks Mike!

Reactions: Mikey P

Mikey P

Administrator
The newer seals are easier to work with, but contaminated grout is contaminated grout.

Topicals
Oils that saturated all the way in
Urine
and other mystery areas where the CS just would not bond got me backing of the sale of yhe service due to an abundance of failures

Which you wont see few a few years down the line..

Virgin grout is best...but who the hell gets called out to clean lerfect grout?

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
We mostly did new work. Marketed to Supply houses and installers who don't want to go back and seal grout. Lots of new granite counter tops. Was great money and I plan on doing that again when I finally get up and running.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Dam, he must have eaten his Wheaties! T&G take me forever... I more than likely would have been there 5-6 hours...:(

Get yourself a small jug of (safe for stone)stripper on the truck.
Which stripper would you pick up off the shelf at lowes?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom