Seam pulling away

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
Came accross this problem today where the seam on a good quality wool looped pile was unravelling in places. Customer had tied the strands together to stop it moving further but beneath the loose threads is bare backing in some parts. What can be done with this - is it a case of what you call re-tufting? There are several large remnants/offcuts available for this 10 year old carpet.

pull2.jpg

This is happening in several places on two seams, the worst is the one in the pic.

ksokalski

If the carpeting has a primary and secondary backing...I would attempt the repair the same way that I would on a loop pile nylon or olefin...by pile grafting or a bonded insert. Seeing that this is a wool carpeting, I am imagining that it probably has a tertiary backing as well which would be even more suited to a pile grafting as opposed to the bonded insert.

The only difference is that with a
Pile Graft - you are bonding the insert to the secondary backing of the existing carpeting (In order to create this, you cut the same way that you would as if you were going to perform a bonded insert; however, very carefully only cut through the primary backing of the carpeting.)
Bonded Insert - You are bonding two seperate pieces of carpeting together

Tools you will need for a Bonded Insert:

1. 3" metal putty spreader
2. razor knife
3. koolglide
4. koolglide tape
5. glue gun with thin nozzle OR latex seam sealer (you can buy latex seam sealer from Home Depot if your supplier does not carry it)
6. MOST IMPORTANTLY - Row Finder (A knitting needle works very well!)
7. Spiked seam roller
8. Seam weight or "Seamer-Down" seam vacuum

(9. If you want to step your repair up a notch...get yourself a hot knife and a curved needle and carpet sewing thread for hidden stitches on the corners) You may be telling yourself that using a hot knife and sewing the corners are not necessary; however, you can charge more because you can guarantee your work for life without worry of a call back, thus charge more.

Tools you will need for a Pile Graft:

1. 3" metal putty spreader
2. razor knife
3. 1 glue gun with thin nozzle & 1 glue gun with T-tip nozzle
4. Spiked seam roller
5. Seam weight (If you don't have one...a flat metal tool box (CLEAN) will work too.
6. Hot knife

(7. If you want to step your repair up a notch...get yourself a curved needle and carpet sewing thread for hidden stitches on the corners)

If you have never performed either of these repairs before, you may want to take a RRT class before you start offering this service. I recommend Steve Andrew's Class. I know that he has a DVD out that you can contact him on that may have this repair explained in detail as well. If you just need some tips and already have experience, please feel free to call me, email me or pm me with any questions. If you need to learn from A to Z...definately see if you can purchase one of Steve Andrew's DVDs if you can't attend a class anytime soon.

Kris

TO OTHERS - If you noticed that I left something out...please feel free to add to the list...explanation and so on...I have seen a couple of other really good photographs on the board recently of others who have done wonderful work on this type of repair. Maybe they will post some of them.

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
Thanks Mr Ksokalski. I think I'll keep this one until I have some more experience, they're a good customer I've picked up and will be doing a bit for them in future.
I'm almost ready to get out there and do bonded inserts with the tools I have and practice I've been doing but not at all experienced in grafting which I think would be the best bet on this one?
Good idea on sewing the corners, I'll keep that one in mind too.
What type of thread would typically be used, synthetic or thick cotton type?

Heath

ps - I'm unable to attend Steve's class but will look at getting his DVD set (think Shorty just got the set?). Waiting for John to add repair training class to his forte :roll:

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Heathrow said:
Waiting for John to add repair training class to his forte :roll:

:lol: anythings available at the right price :lol:

The reason I didn't come in earlier mate was I had a similar job yesterday repairing 4 of those of varying degrees of damage but the photos didn't turn out as good as I had hoped.

I may get them up later today as I have a full day of paperwork to do :( and will need a break of two here and there.

Very simpy to do once you've done your first one while they are that minor.

John

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
-I would easily think you should be able to do this Heathrow. Cut 1 or 2 rows what ever needed and use a glue gun no problem at all. Dont be inconfident be confident. Even if you need to hit it with a hammer to make it look 10 years old :D

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
John I sincerely want Heathrow to take care of this. It is simple and will boost his confidence . Use a glue gun heathrow. If the donor piece is higher . Than hit it down with a hammer on your donor piece. This will help mat it down.

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
OK, I'm confident I can repair this - if I go for the bonded insert type repair, will I need to release the seam first? I've done this before using a steamer to soften the glue. Otherwise just cut out a small section including the seam on the backing? Or are you recommending grafting? The donor carpet available has been in use around the house and is almost as worn as the carpet itself.
I'll be back there to do some upholstery in the next month so there's no hurry.
I appreciate your confidence in me Harry :)

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Sorry Harry, Heath is just up the road from me and we joke a bit.

Heath, definitely do a graft. With a really sharp stanley knife (nice sharp point) slice in and cut the yarn through the primary backing at each end clear of the pull so that you can pull the loose yarn out and leave a nice tight end on there. With a nice sharp pair of duck bills, cut out the remaining primary backing and scratch out any blobs of latex that will hold your donor up.

Determine the nap of both the carpet and the donor, and MARK IT on the back of your donor. Now cut along and cut off the necessary number of rows by slightly longer than the section to repair.

Attempt to lay it in there and see how high it sits. If it sits right height wise, leave it at that, if it's sitting high, attempt to pull the secondary backing off. It'll be stronger if you can leave it there but no use having it sitting high so if in doubt, I'll rip it off. Take care and you should be fine.

I then usually start at the end where the existing nap is laying over into your repair area and work away from that point. With your glue gun really HOT (don't be tempted to start till it's hot as the glue will cool too quickly before you can do the necessary manipulation of the donor.) Only glue a small section to start with, maybe up to an inch and then bed the donor in and make sure you're happy with the result before you carry on.

Depending on how long the donor piece is, I tend to wait till I'm within an inch of the end before I trim the total length. So just progress along at small sections at a time.

Having an awl is great too because it really helps in bedding those edges down into the glue.

See how you get on and let us know. With time on your side, simulate such a repair on an offcut and see how you go first.

Retufting is NOT an option where you don't have a complete backing in place or over jointing tape. Because the damage is along a seam, the original problem is that they've cut too close to the base of the tufts AND not seam sealed so you don't have enough material to tuft effectively into. (I'm sure there will be guys out there that do, so this is purely my observation)

John

Stevea

Heath,

Great information from Kris, Harry and John.

I have to agree the grafting would be the logical repair, IMO, due to being at the seam as well. What great outlines of information! You should copy and save all of this. Once you do it you will feel great about your next one.

I will PM you some information, let me know if it helps.

Take care,
SA

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom