Seems like I'm not the only one with the Powerclean Blues

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I've talked to two people in the past day either selling (distributor) or owning a Powerclean with the same lack of support and inability to get parts that I have encountered. I would encourage anyone considering geting involved with this company to think long and hard before doing so. You will be in a world of hurt if you do. And I thought it was just me.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Water was dripping from my HX last night when I was shutting down my Freedom 47. I called PowerClean customer service after hours and left a message. Ed from customer service returned my call this morning and spent the time necessary to make me realize it was probably just condensation. It ran fine all day today with no dripping. (I also called Greenie in my panic cause I heard he had a Little Giant for sale that could replace a bad HX.)

I've always got excellent service from PowerClean over the five-plus years I've owned one of their machines. This is just one example of dozens of times they've helped me. They have even overnighted me a part at no charge.

They just don't like Doug.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
When was the last time you ordered parts from them Johnny? Sorry, but I doubt water drips from the HX unless its leaking.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Doug Cox said:
When was the last time you ordered parts from them Johnny? Sorry, but I doubt water drips from the HX unless its leaking.

I think the last part I needed from PowerClean was an exhaust header, years ago, which they sent me free of charge because they had improved the design. My machine has been relatively trouble-free. But my Freedom isn't as complex as your Genesis.

Not doubting you, just surprised to hear it.

I've phoned customer service many times and they have always been helpful.

What part do you need?

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Maybe they just don't like us Wisconsinites> :(
I've talked with numerous people over the years from all over the country who have been unhappy with PowerClean product and service. I know anybody can make a mistake now and then but when it happens this much there is a problem.

Greenie

I don't know why they can't seem to meet Doug's needs, it's a fairly simple request.

And while you are at it, try and keep the dealers happy as well, they are the ones representing your products, without them what are you gonna do make all sales nationally by yourself?

I don't think the PC product is any less dependable than any other solenoid diverter HX machine.

You'd have a hell of a lot more dealers (it's a decent product line after all) if they had confidence they were gonna get 110% support, and people got called back the same week if not the same day.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Johnny said:
What part do you need?

Uh, lets see. A cap, rotor, and plug wires that I ordered directly from Jim Nape and have never received. Before that it was a set of belts I believe which I waited a few months for.

Johnny- I'm not talking about "years ago". I'm speaking of the last year or so.

Thanks to anyone who can back me up on this and get this company back on track or have them go away. Nobody deserves what they're offering right now. Their current situation is pathetic.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Greenie said:
I don't think the PC product is any less dependable than any other solenoid diverter HX machine.
I was taken in by PC's good looks and quality components but have been let down by their poor engineering and assembly. Many of us have had and continue to have the same problems over and over. In my case they just seem to have quit supporting there product.

Walt

I've had a Genesis DXT for 13 months and we've put 1200 hours on it so far. Though we've had a few small issues and they have been quick to respond.

It's a shame that they don't participate here. I know that Jim (the owner) is passionate about his gear, and I am certain that they could benefit from the exposure and knowledge. Additionally I think it would be beneficial for them to comment on why they've been slow to ship. Likely they've suffered financially like the rest of the country. Or perhaps it's the opposite, and they are overwhelmed with business. Transparency could be a really good thing. Most of the people on this board have dealt with growing pains (or the opposite) and would be sympathetic if they understood.

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
I will be the first to admit I have had some problems with my Genesis but factory support is not one of them. I have always gotten a call back and immediate shipping. We finally have the bugs worked out on ours after 2500 hours but the water filters do plug up often and we have had various water box problems. I was going to sell it but now I am thinking about keeping it as a backup.
Al

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Shane T said:
In my case they just seem to have quit supporting theie product.

Ditto Here also. Jim apparently didn't like something I said to him (about getting me my parts) and didn't respond after that. His loss, not mine. BTW- I didn't just jump into this thread willy nilly, After 2 years I finally decided it was time to "OUT" Powerclean. I don't need them, I can get everything I needfor my machine elsewhere.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Truckmounts are like computers, the more complex the more bugs. They know once we have them that we will put up with it. What else are we going to do. They are to damn big to return.

Gene

R

R W

I don't know how to respond to your post, Doug. My Genesis is now 6 years old, and it's having it's little problems. I have always got quick response from the factory when I've had a problem. I have been able to work through all my problems on my own, or with help from you and this board. My current displeasure is the diverter not working consistently. One day it works fine....the next it just won't respond as it should. I'll work through it. I have a spare Genesis for parts.....especially the BIG parts, and all the little electrical parts are new, so I should be in decent shape if something lets go. The belts you can get at any industrial supply store. Heat dispersal is the biggest enemy of the Genesis, unless you have a fan to pull it out of the van in the summer. I run it at 4-6-8 hours at times, and it still purrs. I am concerned how much longer it will last.

I did have APO leaks after the first year, and PC replaced it at no charge.

jimn

Hello Doug,

The last e-mail I sent you was done so because I truly care about our customers. I have been there and know what it is like to need something and the supplier does not have it or it is on backorder, This is something we go through on a regualr basis with our suppliers (especially in this economy). I agree with you in some respect. I did and have dropped the ball with you in particular and I honestly apologise for that. (I would be upset as well) When I originally contacted you, my intentions were to do whatever was within my power to help and I stated that over the phone to both you and your wife. Unfortunately, I did get side tracked.

Once I realized that I was not following up with you as planned, I sent an e-mail to you explaining just that. The response I received from you was misinterpreted.

I had also sent you an e-mail stating that I did not want to just replace parts with the "hopes" of it repairing the problem and wanted to get to the source. That is why the parts were never sent. Now that I reviewed your e-mail further the other parts you requested are maintenance parts. I was just doing my best to look out for you in an effort to save you some money.

I truly believe that I dropped the ball and that there was also a lack of communication between us. I do know that you cannot bring your truck down for us to review due to your work load. If you are open to it, I would like to come up and possibly clean with you for a day or so with the hopes that I can aid in rectifying the problem.

Not that this is an excuse, I was/are doing my very best to help everyone I speak with. Unfortunately, I DO get side tracked as I am trying to run a business which sometimes can be overwhelming. (as everyone knows)

I hope you understand and Please feel free to contact me when you get a chance. My cell phone is 708-217-8298.

Shane, I urge you to contact me as well. I am in and out of the office alot. If for some reson, I do not answer my cell phone, Please leave a message and I will return your call.

I am looking forward to "getting back on track"!

Best Regards,

LeeCory

I had some problems with my machine and Powerclean had me bring it to them twice. The first time for 2 days, and the second for 3 days. Since the second time I had it there things have been going very well.

I am pleased with the service and effort Powerclean put forth to help me with my Genesis.

Anytime I call Ed, he calls me back as quickly as possible if he was busy when I called. When I was there visiting he was a very busy guy always doing something.

There were times I was upset with my Genesis, but if I average it all out I have been happy with it overall.

Gary Taylor

Jim, I do not have a powerclean machine, but feel free at anytime to come over to Indiana and help me clean for a day. I am getting old and tired.

Gary

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I sincerely hope Jim acts and gets these issues taken care of. The cost of these machines are quite expensive and we shouldn't be abandoned after the sale. I'm more concerned about the non- mechanical buyers who can do nothing when the machine starts acting up. I'm gonna start holding everyones feet to the fire to get them to stand by their customers.

jimn

Hey Doug,

The ball is in your court. PLEASE call me when you get a free moment so we can work this out. Once again, I do apologise for the delays and will do what I can to help.

I am here and waiting to hear from you. If for some reson I do not answer your call, It is only because I am in a meeting or on the phone. By all means leave me a message and I will get back to you.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Jim- Thanks for the offer of helping me clean carpet but you'd probably just slow me down (LOL). Seriously, ever since the weather cooled the machine hasn't shut down, which is kind of reinforcing my thought of it being a heat issue. I'm going to do a few modifications to the computer this winter to get a little more air circulation underneath it. I WILL be in touch if I have any further issues.

K

kyle albero

I have one of the older genesis 5.6 with a ford in it. The only thing that is a ongoing problem is the diverter only works under 1800 rpms. If I run it any higher it moves a little, but not all the way. The water will get to 240 very quick. I have replaced all the parts that controll the diverter. Anyone have the same problems?

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
kyle albero said:
I have one of the older genesis 5.6 with a ford in it. The only thing that is a ongoing problem is the diverter only works under 1800 rpms. If I run it any higher it moves a little, but not all the way. The water will get to 240 very quick. I have replaced all the parts that controll the diverter. Anyone have the same problems?

Have you had the diverter apart? The flapper shaft broke on mine once. It looked good from the outside. Just curious but what speed would you normally run at?

Greenie

kyle albero said:

Kyle, please correct me if I am misinterpreting your message, but are you saying When you run the rpms higher the actual exhaust gases are pushing the flapper open partially?

K

kyle albero

I run the rpms at 1800 because the diverter will just stay on if I run it any higher. When it reaches the temp. I set it at it acts like it wants to shut off but does not have enough power. When it does work it works with no problems. When I was not having any problems with the diverter I would run the machine from 1800 to 2400 rpms depending on the hose run and heat that I needed. At 1800 I really have to keep the filter clean to get the best vacuum. So, the diverter is staying 100% open when it is not working. I was thinking about soldering all the wires the have to do with the heat system.

K

kyle albero

Yes, I have had the diverter apart it looks very rusty but in working order. The diverter is still easy to move when it is hot too. I just might take is apart and grind all the rust off the inside of the box. I can not believe I am the only one with this problem.

R

R W

kyle albero said:
Yes, I have had the diverter apart it looks very rusty but in working order. The diverter is still easy to move when it is hot too. I just might take is apart and grind all the rust off the inside of the box. I can not believe I am the only one with this problem.

Kyle...the diverter is SS I believe, so it shouldn't be rusting. I have replaced the flap about 4 times over a six year period. One thing I found is that you have to shorten the spring in the solinoid. When the heat builds, it can't pull the solinoid against a full spring. It is located right under the solinoid boot. You need to cut about an inch off the spring.

I wish PC would offer an upgrade kit for the older gennys.....the new system uses vacuum to operate the diverter now.

jimn

Kyle,

Rob is right, you have 2 choices, either replace the solenoid with a new one or cut the spring down. They can have a tendancy to get tired over the years and shortening the spring may solve it.

We did add the new diverter to some of the Ford Genesis units. One is on a local customers unit. I will give them a call and find out when they are stopping my. It has been in service for about 5 months now with no issues. Once I see it, I will then get a parts master put in and we will make it available for the Ford units.

The new vacuum system draws it's power from the blower. It is much easier on the assembly and the diverter as a whole. If it ever gets stuck, usually increasing the load will provide more power for the valve and free it up.

Doug, believe it or not, I am a seasoned cleaner. Maybe a little rusty :?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom