Servers?

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
Anyone using servers. We are at 3 computers now and will go to 4 soon. Is a server a good solution? Anyone with experience with this subject. Reliability, service, speed?
Thanks Al

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Servers fulfill one main purpose. They serve as a focal point for data that is manipulated or accessed by multiple computers/users. As well, they often support certain shared network peripherals. In a multi-user system they are indispensable at making data available simultaneously to users that don't want to be dependent on other users having the same data available, or not available when their workstation is shutdown.

If you have been getting by without having a server, you may not "need" one, but it does have advantages, especially in networks where you don't want to have so many workstations running, because your data is spread out.

Servers also permit a much less expensive data backup strategy.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
We run a server in our office and love the ability to access ALL data from wherever I want to.

We have laptops in each van and they remote access in and access all data on the server. It means I don't have data on machines that could get stolen or anything untoward.

I or my wife at home can remote access into it as easy as.

I'm sure I don't use it to the full potential but love it.

John

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I agree with servers being a good solution. Even with 2 computers in the office it may be worth having. A reliable data backup plan is crucial. It should go without saying but data should be backed up into another system in case of server failure. Even a practice run of how fast you can get data into another system may not be a bad idea. You can also have different levels of access for different data. For instance, you wouldn't want your whole staff access to your client list. Easy way for one of your guys to start their own business. Changing passwords before letting a disgruntled employee go is a good idea too.

Albert

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We've used a mainframe and dumb terminals since the early days, and now use a "server" mainframe that connects networked thin clients. Do you really need a server, or would a good computer running networking software do the same job for your business?

BTW: HP servers (from their takeover of Compaq) have some very highly rated server arrays.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Our first big server was a Compaq. When it was time to replace we went with Dells per recommendation of our IT consultant. Our server supports about 45 users in our cleaning businesses and we also have separate servers for Exchange (outlook, e-mail etc.) that supports all our businesses and about 90 users. We have a couple more for video cameras, phone software etc.. but the work horses are our Dells. Don't think you could go wrong with Dell or HP, but we have found Dell support to be fantastic also, whereas with Compaq it was marginal at best.

Ken

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We have a Dell Power Edge that supports 9-computers and a magnetic card time clock.

It's great, I don't even realize how much we depend on it until it goes down, then the shop is in a panic.

Email within the office is nice, I can email supervisors about meetings or problems that need to addressed with out needing to track down each individual.

Works as a good backup, just be sure all programs are mirrored, we thought we had done this and the a recent melt down cost us our Outlook contacts. :shock:

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
Thanks all!

Wow, what a great list of replies. Looks like it is the way to go if the price is right. We now have all data on one computer but it is overworked and slow hence the need for a server. I was looking at Dell so it appears I am heading in the right direction. Thanks a lot.
Al

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom