Shift-a-stain

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Others have eluded to this as well.

I knew I had a job a few months ago where I had done this but couldn't find the photos. Got them now.

Stain was not treatable at all and he didn't have any off cuts.

I cut the stain out of the room, cut the exact same size out of the inside corner of the wardrobe and swapped the pieces.

The area was aggressively scrubbed and had a lot of fuzz, I trimmed this when I had finished.

DSCN3258.jpg

The two pieces.
DSCN3260.jpg

Finished... yeah I know, should have had some crayon or chalk.
DSCN3261.jpg

Client was wrapt with the results, his wife was away for an extended period due to family sickness and was coming home and he ended up getting me to do $4-500 of other stains and repairs to get the place spick and span again so he didn't get in trouble... paid cash and wanted the invoice put straight in the bin too :wink:

With the placement of 'stuff' in the wardrobe, he figures it'll be years before she finds a mysterious stain in the inside corner of her wardrobe :lol:

John 8)

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
I need to start offering this service. I'm only really interested in shifting stains as you did here.

Any recommendations on tools I should start gathering? Cookie cutter types I'm thinking. I'm not a measure twice, cut once type of guy.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Hey Dirk,

Anyone I talk to, I always tell them to persevere with free hand, as I believe it WILL make you a better trades person in the long run and give you way greater adaptability in any given situation.

Having said that, if you are the type that needs a tool for that, and there's nothing wrong with that, then yes a cookie cutter is the way to go. Problem is you only have 1 option for size and shape. The new Patch Master Pro may also be an option.

I'd guess at less than 10% of jobs I have to use carpet from other locations within the home. Most have mats, offcuts etc.

I'll go through a list later in the day for you of what I consider essentials.

John

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
Careful mate - Helen'll getcha!

John, when you use chalk to disguise a patch, how long does it last? Is it only to make it look better in the short term or does it tend to lighten it permanently?

yay yay - my Koolglide is on the way... :)

harryhides

Name
Tony
Dirk, you should try to get to Steve's class in Minneapolis, Sept 18,19th. I'll be there with Shorty and I'm trying to get Kirk Saiger to sign up too.

Heath the chalk will not be permanent but then again neither will the color difference on the repaired area. The crayon, if heat set will last a very long time unless it's in direct sunlight, in which case it will, over time, fade just like a mustard stain.

Back
Top Bottom