Should I renew my IICRC Master Certification?

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I have been IICRC certified as a Master Cleaner since the 1980's with a certification number in the 2000 range. At 66 years old and in my 46th year steam cleaning, I am questioning the marketing worth at this stage in my career. I can continue to keep Master designation for $72.00 but will also need 2 continuing education credits. Is it time to give it up?

Loren Egland
www.detlasteamway.com

Reactions: Bob Pruitt

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
you can get the credits online. It costs but cheaper than attending class.

It all depends on if you feel there is any value to you. For as little as it would cost I would, but if you feel there is no real value then maybe just hang on to your money.

Tony Wilson

Name
Tony Wilson
Yeah. They have been going through some changes or something. Sent in my Master Cert payment in July. Got the first letter 1 month ago saying I havn't paid yet. Then got the second letter last week saying i have been put on "time out" lol for not paying. So I called (third time) and finally someone answered. Said I'm good and it was some computer glitch that sent out the letters... hmmm. Anyway, have yet to recieve my new Cert. card.

But with that said, I have enjoyed the classes over the years and as long as they continue to be offered in my area, I will continue to attend them.

EDS

Name
Ed
On the complete opposite end of spectrum compared to Loren...is it worth it if not for knowledge which is cheap and easy these days...but for the marketing value? Another way to be distinguished ????

EDS

Name
Ed
So he is defiantly a guy to follow...
You don't get that at the other forxms

Josh

Supportive Member
Name
Josh
I let mine go. #42767
The education, knowledge, and renewed passion that one can gain from the courses is priceless IMO. Thinking the public is going to feel the same way about it, sorry to say, just leads to disappointment. The knowledge and fire lit under my butt that I gained is where the benefits stopped for me.
My certified master status, certified firm logo, and my card number didn't really bring in the customers as the instructors said it would. LOL
It was more work trying to explain what the IICRC was than it was worth. It felt like most of my marketing involving the IICRC benefited them (and sometimes my competitor) more than it benefited me.
I would advertise that Mrs. Piff needed an IICRC certified tech to care for her floors and furnishings and she could find one at iicrc.org, thinking that they would see my company's name and master status there...it was never there!!! When I called to see why it wasn't there they would give me the run around, say sorry, and just never fix it! So when Mrs. Piff went to their website they would see another company's name (sometimes 60 miles away) instead! That's nice.
From 1999-2012 I got 2 jobs where the IICRC referred me.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Pretty much all industry associations are on the scam level of bbb.

Pointless, worthless and it always seems to end the same way: making money to those industry "big shots" that think so highly of themselves and then go around and give awards to their inner circle at conventions.

It just depends who you talk to and when. One year Larry Cooper is the worst guy next thing you know he is the best guy to partner up with.

It's better to just filter info on your own from all the various online forums and do your best to serve your customers.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell
Name
Lee Stockwell
It's been 20 years, maybe I should check with MSU to see if they need more $$ to renew my degree?

Yes I let the iicrc thingy lapse. No disrespect to the several good people involved.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I quickly saw what a scam it was when I started out in 92. And what a scam that better business bureau was too.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I also let mine go #37323, several years ago.

Down under, no-one knows about the IICRC except carpet cleaners & suppliers.

To be strictly honest, I have been in quite a few associations & I can't really think of one that has produced any work for me.

I am a firm believer in doing courses, learning & getting qualified & one should never stop learning.

But really, what benefit is any association to the average cleaner??

I believe that the exceptions to this may be the Oriental Rug Washers, WDR, Mold, etc; associations which appear to continually give out new information.

( Maybe they took a page out of the Jon-Don manual who still send me newsletters regularly, 11 years after completing their SFS ).

Apart from bringing cleaners together, which now MB; several other forums & FB; appear to be leading the way in this regard.

I particularly object to having to pay for yearly fees to keep my qualifications up to date.

Does your university or college demand that you pay for your credentials every year since you left??

Just my thoughts on the matter.

:yoda:

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Surprised to see this thread revisited from a year and a half ago.

Just want to say thank you for all the kind words. Actually I have learned more things on this board than from many of you than I can count.

FYI, I ended up not renewing my IICRC Master status. My number is 2377, so I have had my certification for a long time, thus hard to give it up. But just didn't feel like I needed it as a minor marketing edge anymore since I will likely stop cleaning in a couple three years. Hoping to make 50 years steam cleaning. Won't someone give me a gold watch if I make it? :)

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Loren, you are one guy I'd really like to meet on a trip other there.

This is another one, if anyone remembers him. :winky:

Ray (Rambo) Moody with Son & Grandson, out of Augusta, GA, just a little bit northeast of Marty. :marty:

Ray (Rambo) Moody.gif

Rambo hung up his wand at 77.

Hell, that's another five years for me. :(

:yoda:

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
As if he could leave it behind, mate :winky:

I did not renew my certificate but only had it for 27 years. Practically a toddler.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shorty

CtcClean

Name
paul g
I hope anyone associated with a university doesn't read this thread.... that would be a cash cow for the universities.

Your degree has ink that will fade in 2 years. Renew for $1000 or lose it. What's sad is that I could see this happening.

Reactions: Shorty

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Loren,

I am #1285 IICRC certified, but let it drop when the IICRC was in-fighting so badly a few years back.

Sure, it cost me a huge local carpet retailer referring me to their customers, but I am also getting to the age where I don't care to work as much as I used to (72 this coming June).

I did learn a lot initially, and met other cleaners from around the country going to the classes wherever they were being held. It was meeting these other cleaners that was worth it, not carrying the IICRC badge.

I remember a cleaner named Lonnie who had both sleeves full of patches from the IICRC. Sorry, I wear short sleeves when I am cleaning.

When I asked the IICRC what it would take to re-join, it just wasn't worth it to me.

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals. Quote by HD Thoreau
From the Jim Bardwell Presentation at Mikey's Fest. I have never cared about a piece of paper of a patch...
but I do think continuing education is the most important thing we can do to ensure future success.
One more- "The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn and relearn." - Alvin Toffler.
Age is not a factor.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Loren,

I am #1285 IICRC certified, but let it drop when the IICRC was in-fighting so badly a few years back.

Sure, it cost me a huge local carpet retailer referring me to their customers, but I am also getting to the age where I don't care to work as much as I used to (72 this coming June).

I did learn a lot initially, and met other cleaners from around the country going to the classes wherever they were being held. It was meeting these other cleaners that was worth it, not carrying the IICRC badge.

I remember a cleaner named Lonnie who had both sleeves full of patches from the IICRC. Sorry, I wear short sleeves when I am cleaning.

When I asked the IICRC what it would take to re-join, it just wasn't worth it to me.

That's the point...before the Internet, you had to go to classes to meet other pros..that changed drastically.

The other point is this: when top of the industry professionals don't care about these "scamsociations", even less our customers will be concerned about them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey P
Name
Nate W.
One more- "The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn and relearn." - Alvin Toffler.
Age is not a factor.

What's the difference between a hold up and a stick up?!?

Age... :winky:

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Loren,

I hear you. When you don't have much time left in business and you are getting older, just not much incentive to keep paying or go to a class every couple years to get the two credits required for Master renewal. All gung ho when you are younger and a lot of cleaning years in front of you.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
I hear you. When you don't have much time left in business and you are getting older, just not much incentive to keep paying or go to a class every couple years to get the two credits required for Master renewal. All gung ho when you are younger and a lot of cleaning years in front of you.
I can remember when I was certified, I had taken every IICRC course offered, so I asked them what I was supposed to do about taking another course to keep up my Certs. Their answer was to take them over again. Seriously?

No thanks to that also.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom