Slate tile with grout in the grooves and divets

Name
BradFenstermaker
Hey all, this is Amanda (Brad's wife)...
I had a lady call today and she just purchased a house that has beautiful slate floors but unfortunately the installers were lazy or in a hurry and left grout on the tile itself in the grooves and holes of the natural stone. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to remove this without damaging the slate? We have not taken the job. At this point, we are just trying to give some helpful advice.
Thanks,
Amanda

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Scrub with acid side cleaner. This could be done with grout brush by hand in a small area or rotary machine with appropriate brush. Rinse throughly using SX-12, Turbo or similar.

Scott Warrington

Fon Johnson

Let me know if you need to borrow my 3m grout brush. It is a general purpose brush and should not be aggressive enough to do damage, but it will dig down into the divots in the tile. With that said, I agree with the above.

safeclean

Acids test test first see if the slate is acid sensative first if so than high alk with scrub machine than rinse. The only thing that will help remove the grout is if the slate was pre sealed prior to grouting if it was not than there will be no way of removing it the main thing is how long has the grout been on the tile and how porous the slate is this could turn out to be a drama for the customer and you. Hopefully the slate is non porous and the grout has not cured to much.

Craig

Name
BradFenstermaker
Everyone thanks for the advice, I will be going to check it out first of the week sometime.

Not sure how long it has been down but will ask. Have a brush and acid cleaner ready to go.

Later

Name
BradFenstermaker
Re: Update on Slate with grout problems

Well took a look today and it has grout everywhere, probably 1/8 " thick behind the toilets. Some hack had a field day.

Somekind of sealer/wax applied to it also.

Conversed with Mikey and did some tests. I doubt the homeowner will spend what its gonna take to try and restore this farely new slate.

Honestly it would be a nightmare to do. Three Baths and Kitchen Foyer right at 500 sqft.

Thanks for taking time out for me Mikey, glad you enlightened me on having to strip first. Didn't even enter my mind.

Later

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom