Small Air Cooled Engine Lifespan Honda, Kohler

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I noticed that more truckmount manufactures are using Honda engines instead of Kohler. Would you buy a machine with a Honda engine?

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
My gx670 with 1800 hours has had ni problems, oil leaks. Nothing. The old kohler and briggs leaked had problems. Honda is the way to go. I have no idea why masterblend switched from honda to kohler. Price I assume

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Name
steve snail
My first el Dia had a Honda 24 that served me very well for in excess of 2400 hrs, no problems. My one year old el Dia with a Kohler 27 has been problem free, except a very small oil leak.

namaste

Able 1

Name
Keith
I have 3900 hours on my Kohler and it still running strong.. Did replace a head gasket at 3875 hours but it still runs GREAT!! I wouldn't go Honda, but if someone would start using Kawasaki I would look into it. Kubota has been good to me at 1600 hours, only time will tell.

Becker

Name
Becker
hydramaster used Honda and Kawasaki.

Kawasaki proved to be a POS..

I've had pretty good luck with Honda.

I had one engine fail on me early.. I might have been to blame though.. Not sure.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
other than an oil leak from somewhere my Kohler is running strong after 1700hrs, just change the plugs and air filter and oil and filter.

Diesel would be a good way to go because of durability, but I don't think I'd want another diesel unless I could totally enclose it away from all the other equipment. One little exhaust leak and you've got a mess!!

Scott Rogers

Just over 6k hours on my Kohler, leaking & burning oil so likely going to die soon. At this point it owes me nothing so I wont mind replacing at all. But im going to get every last hour out of it I can. lol

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Joeynbgky said:
My gx670 with 1800 hours has had ni problems, oil leaks. Nothing. The old kohler and briggs leaked had problems. Honda is the way to go. I have no idea why masterblend switched from honda to kohler. Price I assume
Masterblend had to add an on-board generator to the El-D to power their diesel heater, so they needed more HP than the 24 the Honda produces.

I have 2 Honda motors, and like them both.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Bob Savage said:
Joeynbgky said:
Masterblend had to add an on-board generator to the El-D to power their diesel heater, so they needed more HP than the 24 the Honda produces.

I have 2 Honda motors, and like them both.

That's maybe what they would say... Because I have the original 24hp Honda and we had it converted from the inverter to the generator to power up the diesel burner. It has no problem doing that and driving the blower and cat pump. So I don't think "they needed more power".

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
Well one reason guys use kohler is the heat from the exhaust is much higher from what I hear. I was told the exhaust from kohler is 1150 degrees. I still have not found an answer on the exhaust temperature from a honda engine.

Hond engines also come with 3 year warranties. If a guy is really using his machine he could wear it out before the warranty is up and get a new engine in theory.

Does anybody out there know the exhaust temperature of a honda 20hp? I am on the fence with honda and kohler for a project and the exhaust temperature is the deciding factor.

Also I found two sources, one for each motor that has very good pricing if anyone needs one.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
So where would you get a GX670 24hp Honda? Do you have a good source for that?

If the Honda runs cooler, that would be better for diesel or propane burners.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
We have used Honda engines for many years.

We were happy with the previous 24 HP engine durability.

Honda has recently changed engine design completely.

The horsepower ratings have dropped due to a change to NET HP,

with alternator and exhaust losses deducted (about 22HP now in our TMs).`

Our choice for the majority of our TM's now is the new Kohler Command PRO 34HP engine design:

http://www3.cobbcarpet.com/zen3/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68&products_id=3800

It is by far the most reliable engine we have used for Truckmounts (including liquid-cooled).

The huge air filter and oil cooler allows 200 hour service intervals.

It has plenty of power for dual wanding, and higher temperatures.

Kohler also provides unmatched customer support.

Larry

P.S. Exhaust temp for air-cooled Honda & Kohler of the same HP are similar.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Imagine a Honda Valkarie motorcycle engine as a TM motor? Would it have the reliability of the standard TM engines?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
rwcarpet said:
Imagine a Honda Valkarie motorcycle engine as a TM motor? Would it have the reliability of the standard TM engines?
Not even close !

The 34HP Kohler is designed for a lot more demanding work,
than a motorcycle engine.

Larry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom