Small new TM with 33 or Bigger TM with 47

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
I use a BrushPro on all the carpet that I clean, followed with a portable when needed. I'm switching back to a TM after 5 or so years. I was getting a small new one with a 33 blower. It would fit my needs perfectly. I now have a chance to get a slightly used 500 hours - 5 years old machine with 47 blower for just about the same price. The engine will be brand new, the rest of the machine used.

What would you buy and why?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Rob;

Are both TM's utilizing Heat Exchangers & who mfg. them ?

Are the engines of similar reliability & quality ?

What type of drive between Engine & Blower (blower mfgs. prefer belt drives)?

Frame/tank construction material and quality ?

Manufacturer of pump system (we like General) ?

Can you do small repairs yourself ?

500 hours is very unusual for a 5 yr. old TM !!

That is just a few questions to ask about your choice.

Last edited:

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
They are made in Texas, is that not good?
Don't play coy with us brother.

What's the brand?

It makes a huge difference.

You are incredibly wise to ask these questions before a major purchase.

I wish I had better understanding back in '08, when I bought a brand new Chem Tex Panther 20. My money could have been far better spent.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Fool me once...shame on them.

My last 2 purchases were a Cleanco and a Butler yet to be delivered, both used. The Cleanco had about 1700 hours on it and the Butler has 791. Both will produce ($$$) circles around those garbage...I mean garage mounts.

I always remind Mel that there's REAL value ($$$) in these mistakes IF we learn from them and we grow and don't make those mistakes anymore.

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
I have owned 2 Hydramasters (Spitfire 3.2, Boxxer 421) and a Blueline Thermalwave 5M. The HMs turned into good machines as they broke and I modified them. The Blueline had nothing but electrical issues and eventually caught fire.

I'm looking for a good dependable machine that I can do all the maintenance and repairs by myself.

I have talked to ***k about his machines before buying my other machines in the past and went with the name brands instead. This time I'm really leaning towards his smallest machine.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Like Russ, we were educated. Don't repeat our mistakes.

Brainwashed newbie buyers slammed me and others who warned them, until the honeymoon ended and the seller wouldn't take their calls.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I have owned 2 Hydramasters (Spitfire 3.2, Boxxer 421) and a Blueline Thermalwave 5M. The HMs turned into good machines as they broke and I modified them. The Blueline had nothing but electrical issues and eventually caught fire.

I'm looking for a good dependable machine that I can do all the maintenance and repairs by myself.

I have talked to ***k about his machines before buying my other machines in the past and went with the name brands instead. This time I'm really leaning towards his smallest machine.
a 33 blower is scarcely better than a good portable. You need a 36 minimum in my opinion. A 45 would really make you happy. Realize that the larger the motor, the higher and more sustainable the heat.

Reactions: Russ T.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Olson usually has some nice and clean used machines...

Be careful you don't get mesmerized by "new".

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
I have used a 33, 45, and 56. I really plan on focusing on tile and grout cleaning and think that the 33 would work fine for that. I'm okay with the performance of a good portable, I just want the ease of a TM.

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
Olson usually has some nice and clean used machines...

Be careful you don't get mesmerized by "new".

I have been looking around for a used machine locally for the past few months and haven't found any worth buying.
I really just want a no frills machine with the least amount of proprietary parts that I can fix by myself if/when it breaks. I was an automotive mechanic before cleaning, so I can handle most repairs.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Consider a Judson if you're not afraid of LP. If you're REALLY going to do all the work on it.

I'd definitely give Olson a call if you're leaning toward a slide in heat exchange system.

Or you could buy a Butler, Cleanco, Sapphire 1200, or Hydramaster CDS and be done with it.

:headbang:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I have used a 33, 45, and 56. I really plan on focusing on tile and grout cleaning and think that the 33 would work fine for that. I'm okay with the performance of a good portable, I just want the ease of a TM.
A 33 will be fine for tile and grout but what are you going to use for heat?

Mark Von*Lay

Name
Mark
Rob;

Are both TM's utilizing Heat Exchangers & who mfg. them ?

Are the engines of similar reliability & quality ?

What type of drive between Engine & Blower (blower mfgs. prefer belt drives)?

Frame/tank construction material and quality ?

Manufacturer of pump system (we like General) ?

Can you do small repairs yourself ?

500 hours is very unusual for a 5 yr. old TM !!

That is just a few questions to ask about your choice.

If I were you this man has great deals for the money and Obviously well known. his machines and Judson are the one" if I were going to purchase . but hey that's just me, :smile:

F

FB7777

Fool me once...shame on them.

My last 2 purchases were a Cleanco and a Butler yet to be delivered, both used. The Cleanco had about 1700 hours on it and the Butler has 791. Both will produce ($$$) circles around those garbage...I mean garage mounts.

I always remind Mel that there's REAL value ($$$) in these mistakes IF we learn from them and we grow and don't make those mistakes anymore.
You absolutely can not lose on that used Butler purchase

If I was in the market , I'd be all over that unit

Reactions: Russ T.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.

You can do all the repairs yourself on any of the big named machines except the only one that was complicated for a very short time, the prochem with the computer screen. That was the only time that was a problem, and I'm assuming that's what started this rumor of not being able to work on your "complicated" truckmount just because it wasn't assembled in someone's garage in Texas.

That popular forum rumor burned me good with an Amtex. The thing that you need to worry about with those machines is, no custom made part is the exact same, because it's hand made to each different machine and they won't send an exact replica if it breaks. That's one of the problems I had.

Ive had wonderful support with my Hydramaster and they have a great tech support line at their wearhouse if you're ever down on the job

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
You absolutely can not lose on that used Butler purchase

If I was in the market , I'd be all over that unit
I can't wait to get it!

I've got it on uship and have done well that way in the past. Getting impatient though...and I'm cheap.

I can get a plane ticket to Philly for $200 and drive it home...but my schedule is full and the new guy starts on Wednesday.

Gimme the Butler!

Reactions: BIG WOOD and FB7777
Back
Top Bottom