Smartstrand and Triexta

Condog

Name
Tony
With Triexta and Smartstrand (or whatever name they call the new generation of polyester) dominating the marketplace are there issues on the horizon in how we will be cleaning carpet in the coming years?
Mike promotes crb followed by wand, I have a Rotovac 360i.

This goes in hand with the CHAT cleaning being taught in the industry. Chemicals, heat, agitation, and time (dwell).
Are we going to start using the soft brushes on carpet all the time we see poly and it's hybrids?

This is from the new Cleanfax edition:

"Advice for cleaning triexta

My recommendation is to note the contrast and to follow the manufacturer’s specifications. If using water rinse extraction, or hot water extraction, do not use a mechanical brush agitator or a motorized wand. Adjust the pump pressure down, use glides, and avoid high-performance rinse solutions that are based on sticky surfactants. These surfactants may form a strong bond that will end up attracting soil. Also, a brush instead of a comb may be a more effective grooming tool on cut loop.

Fiber identification

How do you tell the difference between polyester and triexta? The end user may know, but if not, what about testing? The chemical and burn tests for each fiber yield the same results.

Frequently, triexta will have a softer hand compared to polyester. Cleaning technicians can also evaluate the fiber type based on pile distortions; any fiber that shows significant pile distortions should be cleaned with less agitation."
END THREAD

Has anyone had a problem with the new Smartstrand or Triexta carpet while using a CRB to agitate, or a Rotovac 360i?
I'm curious if this is going to be an industry problem, like too high pH on nylon.

If it is a noticeable problem, does anyone have a picture of what to look for in the pre-inspection?

This is the link to the complete article: https://cleanfax.com/iicrc-technica...lrnAmZZPxahaUdnRsQ6eMhH7DubBGNrQMIGondaglp3cE

Last edited:

Condog

Name
Tony
It's been out for a while, and this is the first I've heard about it being a problem.
My guess is it will only be a problem if the mills say your cleaner voided the warranty.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
It's been out for a while, and this is the first I've heard about it being a problem.
My guess is it will only be a problem if the mills say your cleaner voided the warranty.
If it’s new, just keep the ph at 10.5max and educate the customer on the high traffic areas showing crushed fibers early on due to the nature of poly.

Otherwise, just clean it

Reactions: Condog

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom