Snowbird Carpet Cleaning

Name
darren
Has anyone here from cold weather states or do you know of anyone that has gone south during slow months, January-March and brought cc equipment with them to scavage for work?

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Has anyone here from cold weather states or do you know of anyone that has gone south during slow months, January-March and brought cc equipment with them to scavage for work?

Nope....but would work for someone else when I got bored....if someone is hiring...and my wife lets me come out and play :)

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
You would have to set up a new business probably in that state for collecting and reporting sales taxes (if need to collect)

Get different insurances....

a few things to consider....

My one brother checked into it once....would have not been profitable at that time...by a long shot I guess

Reactions: SamIam

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen

Get here by Monday. Leave the little dog in MN.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Mikey P

Administrator
Scavenge is right, show up in a new town and try and find work?

What ideas do you have that would cover the cost of travle, lodging and operating expenses ?

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Scavenge is right, show up in a new town and try and find work?

What ideas do you have that would cover the cost of travle, lodging and operating expenses ?

Go to Mobil home parks knock on doors visit the elks lodge and clean an area for free, pick up some quick clients. Hit the RV park hit some trailers. Yaa go Marty.

You obviously wouldn't get top dollar, but you could scrap 2-4 hunert a day. Hustling.

Onfire_02_01

Name
Jeremy Gray
Don't know if it is scavenging but I do know of guys who go south for the winter and clean for the other residents of their trailer park.

Reactions: SamIam
Name
darren
Our business and couple techs would stay north since 85% of our work takes place 4/1-12/20ish they would only have maintenance related work part time. Just considering my options while in Florida for a couple months. My in laws are already snowbirds and so we would be sharing a house. As a result we know many Florida residents which could lead to work.....theoretically.
As for equipment I'd only be working with a small porty, CRB, Cimex and misc tools. It's all preliminary at this point but I appreciate all your meaningful input!

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
It'd be fair play; I've met trim carpenters who go North to New York City for three months a year, living out of a camper and hauling enough money home to screw off the remaining nine months.

EDS

Name
Ed
I would drive my wife crazy if I had nothing to do for 9 month's. Especially if I was home all day...

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I had an acquaintence who worked his business through the year end holidays and then headed to Georgia and on to Florida until early March. For 9 or 10 weeks, he would stop at motels, clean from 10 AM - 4 PM. Those hours so he would not disturb the sleepers and the room could be ready for use by 6 PM or so (used air movers).

This started out slowly, but over several years, he developed a rgeular route of motels. Back then, he charged $8 per room plus room for his family and meals for his family at the motels restuarant.

He and his family enjoyed a Florida vacation for 8 to 10 weeks each year.

Reactions: Mikey P

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I had an acquaintence who worked his business through the year end holidays and then headed to Georgia and on to Florida until early March. For 9 or 10 weeks, he would stop at motels, clean from 10 AM - 4 PM. Those hours so he would not disturb the sleepers and the room could be ready for use by 6 PM or so (used air movers).

This started out slowly, but over several years, he developed a rgeular route of motels. Back then, he charged $8 per room plus room for his family and meals for his family at the motels restuarant.

He and his family enjoyed a Florida vacation for 8 to 10 weeks each year.
It wasn't Fred from Vancouver was it? I used to work for a fellow that used to do something like that.

steve_64

I think I could find enough commercial work to work year round if I really tried but winter is my recovery time.

Maybe start a small operation where you are heading to. Find someone to run it for you and help out while you are there.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
So I'm not losing my mind! Thanks Scott, that kinda thing is what I'm talking about.

That worked well for him. Time period was 1986 - 1990 or 1991. As his family grew and his local business grew, he no longer had the need or desire to travel. But it worked for the time he needed it.

Mikey P

Administrator
You're talking about going to an area where there are already a ton of low ball cleaning companies.

Why would a business hire you? What will be your pitch other than beating a price that is to low already?

I'm not saying you can't do it, I just want to hear your game plan..

Name
darren
Our "game plan" is the same that's allowed our business of 20+ years to do well. Find our market, who is servicing them and convince them to pay us more. We have the same lowball, bait and switcher services here but there are always consumers willing to pay more for quality workmanship.
Since our truck mount would be staying north we would most likely feature low moisture cleaning with the exception of upholstery. That being said, I would think with humidity issues there is a large market of elderly that are concerned about slipping from wet carpet, facilities that require quick dry times and high rise condominium buildings. I would target that market first. When we clean for a residence we would book there next cleaning one year from then.
Or I could just go to Florida for 2 months and sit around. Who knows....

Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom