Carpet cleaning:

Obviously the general steps are:

1. pre-vac
2. pre-treat
3. apply detergent
4. rinse
5. protect
6. groom

Everyone claims to do it better than the next guy. My question is. Specifically, what do you do different? What puts you ahead of the pack?

Reactions: A.J.

Mikey P

Administrator
Carpet cleaning:

1. pre-vac
2. pre-treat
3. apply detergent
3.5 mechanically aggitate when needed
4. rinse
4.5 Rotary Extracted where needed
4.6 lots of dry strokes
4.9 use fans to facilitate drying
5. protect
6. groom

Everyone claims to do it better than the next guy. My question is. Specifically, what do you do different? What puts you ahead of the pack?

Edited

Reactions: Bruce Humphrey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Actually following those steps.

How many cleaners actually do? A lot don't prevacuum other don't groom.

We also use primo equipment & solutions, something that many scrimp on.

The biggest thing is the culture of care in delivering superior service. We're not a splash & dash, collect the cash company

Don336

Name
DJ Settle
Where does spotting go on this list. What stains are best to completely remove before your normal clean?

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
This includes extracting virtually all of the rinse back out and thus leaving the carpet as dry as possible. I just had a customer this morning again say that the previous cleaner left the her olefin berber so wet that it took 3 days to dry and it never looked clean from the time they left.

A.J.

Name
A.J. Hodges
Even of you follow all them steps you can still just plan suck at what you do. Look at the vid Mikey posted of the dude with terrible technique. flooded the carpet...

Reactions: KevinL

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
Step 1: Pre-Inspection
Our Technician will do a walk through inspection with you to identify soiling conditions, carpet construction, and potential permanent stains.

Step 2: Pre-Vacuum
Your carpet is pre-vacuumed with a commercial vacuum to remove bonded, insoluble dry soil.

Step 3: Furniture Moving
Sofas, chairs and tables will be carefully moved. Larger pieces, such as beds and dressers are left in place under our regular pricing structure. Furniture will be protected with disposable blocks and tabs.

Step 4: Pre-Spot
Certain spots are pre-treated for maximum removal.

Step 5: Pre-Spray
Traffic areas are pre-treated with a biodegradable traffic lane treatment.

Step 6: Pre-Agitate
Your carpet will be pre-groomed with a carpet groomer or rotary cleaning machine (depending on soil level) to further loosen traffic area soil.

Step 7: Extract and Rinse
Once the soil has been loosened, our state-of-the-art truck-mounted hot water extraction cleaning process will thoroughly flush the carpet pile. Pressure and heat are regulated to prevent the carpet from being over-wet.

Step 8: Neutralizer
The pH is balanced on every carpet and fabric cleaned. This is one of the most important steps according to the manufacturers of carpet. It is accomplished during the extract & rinse process or a post spray will be applied.

Step 9: Post Spot Treatment
Potential permanent stains, as identified by the technician, may not be removed.

Step 10: Post Groom
The carpet pile is set in one direction to aid the drying process.

Step 11: Speed Dry
High velocity air movers are placed on the carpet to lessen the drying time.

Step 12: Post Cleaning Inspection
Our technician will walk through your home with you to point out the cleaning results and make sure that you are completely thrilled with the job.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
How about getting on your knees to wipe the dust and soil out of the edges, cleaning out their air vents, moving every piece of furniture possible to clean as much as possible, going into bedrooms that aren't being cleaned a few feet anyway, cleaning door mats or throw rugs on the way out, wiping down their hardwood floors or tile after cleaning the adjacent carpet, using 2 air movers to speed drying, extra dry strokes, re on soiled carpet, small repairs at no extra charge, free spot remover bottle, fascinating conversation with me, should I go on?

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Step 1: Pre-Inspection
Our Technician will do a walk through inspection with you to identify soiling conditions, carpet construction, and potential permanent stains.

Step 2: Pre-Vacuum
Your carpet is pre-vacuumed with a commercial vacuum to remove bonded, insoluble dry soil.

Step 3: Furniture Moving
Sofas, chairs and tables will be carefully moved. Larger pieces, such as beds and dressers are left in place under our regular pricing structure. Furniture will be protected with disposable blocks and tabs.

Step 4: Pre-Spot
Certain spots are pre-treated for maximum removal.

Step 5: Pre-Spray
Traffic areas are pre-treated with a biodegradable traffic lane treatment.

Step 6: Pre-Agitate
Your carpet will be pre-groomed with a carpet groomer or rotary cleaning machine (depending on soil level) to further loosen traffic area soil.

Step 7: Extract and Rinse
Once the soil has been loosened, our state-of-the-art truck-mounted hot water extraction cleaning process will thoroughly flush the carpet pile. Pressure and heat are regulated to prevent the carpet from being over-wet.

Step 8: Neutralizer
The pH is balanced on every carpet and fabric cleaned. This is one of the most important steps according to the manufacturers of carpet. It is accomplished during the extract & rinse process or a post spray will be applied.

Step 9: Post Spot Treatment
Potential permanent stains, as identified by the technician, may not be removed.

Step 10: Post Groom
The carpet pile is set in one direction to aid the drying process.

Step 11: Speed Dry
High velocity air movers are placed on the carpet to lessen the drying time.

Step 12: Post Cleaning Inspection
Our technician will walk through your home with you to point out the cleaning results and make sure that you are completely thrilled with the job.
Excellent.

I don't love the idea of walking over all the carpet we were so careful to rake on our way out (post inspection), but who am I?

I usually point things out on the pre inspection and manage expectations then. On the way out I verbally discuss anything that may have been an issue. On occasion I will get a customer during the cleaning or at the end but not usually after hoses are wrapped up.

Great list. Very well spelled out for the discriminating customer who's looking for the best.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
Honestly I believe the biggest thing we do different is scrub the carpet. It is in the cleaning guidelines as agitation but very few cleaners do it. we do treat the carpet with a neutralizer as a final step but honestly after all the others it is just a marginal improvement in the finished product.

Reactions: Art Kelley

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
How about getting on your knees to wipe the dust and soil out of the edges, cleaning out their air vents, moving every piece of furniture possible to clean as much as possible, going into bedrooms that aren't being cleaned a few feet anyway, cleaning door mats or throw rugs on the way out, wiping down their hardwood floors or tile after cleaning the adjacent carpet, using 2 air movers to speed drying, extra dry strokes, re on soiled carpet, small repairs at no extra charge, free spot remover bottle, fascinating conversation with me, should I go on?
yes!

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Have your friend join us Greg

We'll set him straight
Heh! The only fools my mother raised are my sisters........ :biggrin:
This board is a little rough for someone starting out and WAY too much ego and bravado. Single voice, single business plan.
For example, I asked for best products and you sent a link to sell chemicals.......
This business is hard enough and a noobie can fail easily if they make the wrong misstep. I'm trying to narrow that gap.....

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The only fools my mother raised are my sisters........ :biggrin:
:lol:

This board is a little rough for someone starting out and WAY too much ego and bravado.
I disagree. If he wants help, this is place full of valuable information for him.

Of course if he is PUSSY and easily offended you better continue to be the go between. :winky:
j/k

Honesty he should do fine here. The rough talk is mostly amongst the regulars, very few new guys catch it.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Mikey P

Administrator
Even you didnt see that I sent you a link to buy The Best Chemicals at nearly half off.

Or does this guy have millions to blow on his quest to earn 75k a year?

Reactions: Kenny Hayes

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Would tell him to lurk at least greg.

Can understand what you mean by 1 voice, 1 plan tho. Forums can sometimes be confusing to rookies and they get all kinds of hair brained ideas in their head.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Carpet cleaning:

1. pre-vac
2. pre-treat
3. apply detergent
4. rinse
5. protect
6. groom

I see everyone focusing on cleaning and you all are missing the big picture.

Customers want a friendly face that shows up when they say they will. That's it!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom