So I walked!

SamIam

Name
sam miller
We're shutting down Saturdays, I'm old and tired.

Yet if my week is slow because the weather 105-110 all week, I booked a couple jobs before I had to help my daughter move.

First job 4 rooms $140 quoted over the phone.

$35 per up to 200 sq ft.

Get there and she's has 4 areas but insist we don't move this or that.

So I drop 10% and say fine $126.00

She says BUT, your not doing the whole room!

Eventually I broke it down to 3 rooms hall $120 10% off $108.

She's how about $100?

At this point t I don't even want to work,

So I said you know when you were quoted the $140 over the phone?

If that was to much you probably should've shopped around.

She says if "your going to be rude we don't have to do it."

Fine have a nice day!

I don't think she even realized she cost me $20 with gas and my helper making $12 an hour to help me.

I just hate the Monty Hall let's make a deal.

When you room price and quote before you go it's supposed to weed out the idiots.

And I'm fine with that.

Last edited:

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Glad you posted this. I find that as my business grows I have less tolerance for BS and price shoppers. My prices are my prices and I have no issue telling people to call someone else. I find myself needing to keep myself in check. One of my best qualities is my personality and being able to talk with customers. I don't ever want to become so bitter and forget the importance of relationship building. That has been the backbone of my growth and success. Not Facebook, not cheap lowest priced cleaning, not coupons. It's been face to face handshakes and building referral sources. (Thanks Howard Partridge)

I've been taking weekends and Thursday's off. Only working 4 days a week when I can get away with it. When I bring on a helper I'll start opening up thursdays again.

steve_64

Did a last minute shopper yesterday 4 rooms $180. If I had seen it first I would've charged more.

Just moving in and furniture on its way. She let's me in and leaves to get cash. Husband comes home and wants me to move van so he can put his muscle car in garage. Pissed me off with his attitude and waving cash around so I move it.

Bought some skyrocket junipers for the end of my fence line on the way home. Get to plant those today.

Oh yeah it took a little over an hour to clean.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
Our Sat min is $200 .. if you can find an opening - we have to be bored before we commit to that. Winter .. any day is just another day !! Although I did do a Sunday about 2 weeks ago .. $1184 residential on an after closing cleaning. Otherwise we were already booked out a couple of weeks for that large of a job.

Reactions: Derek and SamIam

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
As an answer to "But you aren't doing the whole room" you might point out that you are working around their furniture. The time and risk must be compensated. Also, the more they pick up or move before you get there, the more bang for their buck. I have many customers who shifted entire roomfuls of furniture based on that. The secret is to communicate their own self interest to them.

Reactions: SamIam

steve_64

$100 first two rooms $40 each additional. Moving furniture is extra treating pet stains and odor extra.

I still get price shoppers wanting it cheaper because because of beds and dressers in bedrooms but traffic lanes are usually worse and it takes just as long due to being careful of the furniture so Noooo no discounts for furnished rooms.

Just lost one a week ago because "the other guys" are wayyy cheaper. They can have it, next time she will pay my price maybe.

steve_64

The trick is to convert price shoppers to quality shoppers. The only thing some people know about carpet cleaning is the price. Up to us educate them. Not everybody is capable of learning the difference.
Yeah I ain't got time for attitude on the phone. I convert enough to feel good about what I do.

I told her I'm not the cleaner for her since price was her main concern.

Last edited:

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Im at 150 for first 2 or three room depending on condition and size. Its $45 to $80 per room after that depending on soilage. Works for me.

Reactions: Mikey P
F

FB7777

This makes me sad on several levels...

That you're my age and busting your butt for $35 / room

But more for someone working for your cheap ass at $12/hour

Reactions: SamIam

SamIam

Name
sam miller
This makes me sad on several levels...

That you're my age and busting your butt for $35 / room

But more for someone working for your cheap ass at $12/hour

We avg about 6k a week with those prices.

And I hired his brother 19 for less.

My other lead guy make $16 and deserves a raise when he's not breaking or losing stuff.

The brothers we pick up and drop off daily and they basically vacuum crb move some
Furniture block and chip pack stuff up, neither are ever going to run a truck.

Good helpers not lead techs.

I can do 4 jobs a day with about a $200 avg.

Not breaking records but it pays the bills.

And yes I probably could stand to raise prices again.

But with a second truck and two younger guys to keep busy. We stay as competitive as possible.

I could see paying more if I was off the truck but to guys who need direction everyday no way.

And yes I'm cheap.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom