So, this "Service Call" bs...

Mikey P

Administrator
Just how do you justify this magical $150 number?

Is it only for after hours or even if you show up at 11pm do you knock on the flooded home's door and say "Hi I'm Craig Linkqoost, I'm here, pay up!"

All that stuff you WD guys itemize and yet you can legally add another $150 for showing up"

I dont get it.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It's for being available after hours, we use it to pay bonus's to the on call crew and to offset some of the overhead costs with providing a 24-hours service.

Mike my Nextel bill averages between $1,400.00 $1,800.00 a month, 21-phones.
I hate paying it, but you have to be able to reach people.

It sounds like you geting to them, but I've got a major investment in vehicles and equipment that basically sits waiting like the Fire Department until the phone rings.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Our goal is to be there with in an hour of receiving the call.

Now we live in a smaller service are so it is easier than a large town.

Our guys know this is serious business, they are to arrive at our shop within 30-minutes of the call. We have 4-WDR box trucks loaded with everything you would need to process a couple of losses.

It the case of multiple calls, area wide flooding or a large loss that time would be extended. But if you get the On Call Crew they will be there within the hour.

The On Call Team rotates once a week and Supervisors and Lead tech's serve once a month, we have more assistants so they are on every 6-8 weeks.

Anytime day, night, 24-hours a day 365-days a year we will be there within an hour notice. That's service, and unfortunately it costs more to provide that level of service.

So the $150.00 is actually low from my perspective.

As a homeowner I've paid to have a drain cleaner come out on a Sunday morning, I didn't like paying the rate, but understood why it had to be that way.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I agree with RCTPKS it is needed to offset overhead, bonus, maintenance, theft or loss of drying equipment. I dont charge a service call fee for companys i am contracted with such as schools and offices but for any residential or commercial call i do charge one and it is 175 and it includes my first half hour. I have never had anyone complain about even when they dont have insurance and the bill is coming out of pocket.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Most of the same applies during regular hours, with the exception of OT.

It then drops down to $93.33, reflecting that there is no OT rates.

It still costs the company to provide that level of service. During regular working hours we can normally have a crew on site with 30-45 minutes.

To do that means we have to drop everything and run, the water loss takes priority. Once completed we have to finish processing the work that would have been accomplished had they not had the call. This often will run into overtime, costing the company more.

In case where we have area wide flooding or multiple pipe breaks, we may ask customers to move their appointment or reschedule, giving them 10%-20% discount for doing so.

So while the charges may look unnecessary the are actually very valid.

This is directly from Xactimate...

Note: Includes: administrative costs associated with mobilizing an emergency service crew after normal business hours (evenings, weekends, etc).

Excludes: all labor, materials, or equipment to do the work. Add the appropriate water extraction item code for the work being done.

Note: some areas may charge a higher, premium service charge for holidays.

LeeCory

Yesterday I got a call at 5 for a broken water pipe in a kitchen, with the water moving into 3 other rooms and a hall. I was on the job inside of half an hour. The first line on the estimate I started when I got home.... 166.10 (B.E.S.T 7.5) Emergency service call 1 man and truck.

Without being able to charge for the things you can with water damage, it possibly wouldn't be worth doing. It costs alot of money to get the training, have the equipment, and drop whatever you are doing when a call comes in.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Whats not justified? The charges go throug because the demand for your services increased and the supply of us WD guys is limited either by contract or Your company is the only one they know or can get a hold of.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom