So what is your "woops I broke my leg" back up plan?

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I would never think of this stuff prior to becoming a father, mainly because I was young dumb and still had the invincible mindset. Last year I bought a house that was converted into 3 apartments. I was renting one of them and the owners who were older wanted to get out from under it. It is ridiculously close to a train track and running a business from home and trying to be on the phone just didn't work when trains go by every 7-9 minutes. Taking what I make from renting out the three apartments plus a little extra, I make triple payments on it without much problem. I still keep around 20% of the rent and put it in a maintenance account. If I needed to I could just make the regular payment and keep the extra if times got tight and could live off of it.

I am renting again until I get the note paid down on the house so I can look at buying a decent home. When I went to buy my renters insurance policy I told them I was self employed and wanted some sort of insurance if I were to get laid up in a hospital I can't lose income and so they added another policy for that. If anything happens to my contents from a flood or fire, I get paid too while I am down.

I have a few savings accounts that are placed in a trust fund so if need be, money can be drawn to help support my son. Next on the list is some medical/dental/optical insurance for myself.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Hey Dink......
yous got a fi i can borrow?

Do you want me to sign it "Hoody" or "Dink"?

Oh by the way the renters insurance only costs me 23 bucks a month and the extra policy for being laid up is another 79.

Trying to find decent medical insurance without huge deductibles or out of pocket is a nightmare.

QDCC-Barry

Damn Barry!

When are you going to tell her?

I don't plan to EVER tell her. She'd freak out when I ever am up on a ladder again. I worked for the phone company climbing poles and ladders so I was pretty comfortable up there. Ha! I have to admit I was a bit shaky climbing the ladder to take the lights down this time!!

Typing it here is the first I've ever mentioned it to anyone.

Last edited:

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
We moved to a new town and a new market about 3.5 years ago. I had a steady full time job at a community college in Des Moines with incredible state benefits. I ran The Clean Machine on the side.

I dumped my motorcycle about 2 months after the move. I had a spiral fracture in my Tibia and Fibula. Tibia was repaired with a plate and 9 screws. I was at home (hobbling on 1 foot) for 3 months.

The following Spring, things started to take off and we aren't looking back. Ive got a bit saved but I dont think we could sustain another setback like that....but I've been wrong before.

QDCC-Barry

You sound like you have a bone chip floating around in there. Is it painful?
I thought maybe at first it might be that because it was kinda sore but there's no pain now. If I put weight on it by leaning on the elbow the wrong way I feel a pinch of pain but otherwise no pain whatsoever. If I take my finger and feel around there's something very small that I can feel move around just a tad. Since there's no pain and no restriction problems I'm not too concerned and so the next time I need to go to the doctor I'll mention it to him.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
When did Hoodie grow a beard?

Take care,
Lisa

:lol::clap:

me-beard.jpg

Able 1

Name
Keith
Very important post.
Jan 1st I really goofed up my back. Fractured L5 and S1. 2 weeks on my back doing nothing. (Almost nothing. 3rd is on the way:eekk: ). It was really scary and sobering. Even with a helper. even though I was back to work by jan 20, it cost me a lot. Lost momentum. Etc. You cannot be overprepared for something like that.
I didn't read this thread to the end yet, but my friend you need to chill the f out. . Your body makes you money not your incredible smarts.. (well, at this point at least) ..

Reactions: Art Kelley

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Back in '96 I fractured my right tibia and crumbled my right knee.

6 months in hospital with Mrs A (Golden Staph, Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus) + 5 operations taught me a thing or two.

Now, back to your questions:

• Are you prepared to not work for 6 to eight weeks?
  • I was off for six months. But you can never "be prepared" for something like this, although you do make contingency plans.
  • Is your helper, kid, wife or retired next door neighbor able to cover you in such an event?
  • Delia was away at the time, so I got a helper in. He left the day I came out. I went back to work on crutches.
  • I would take bookings whilst in hospital and call him each afternoon to give him the next day's work.
  • Is there enough in the kitty to pay your bills and expenses?
  • I carry a Personal Injury Insurance Policy for any such situations.
  • Do you have a company to refer work to that wont steal your customers?
  • Did have but no more.

:eekk:

• Do you grab both rails when walking down staircases?
  • I can get by with just one rail. I have short arms.
  • Is the most excitement you have on the weekends a rousing game of Stratego?
  • I don't understand the question.
  • Do you make your wife, kids, helper or neighbors do all the heavy lifting around the house?
  • Never have, never will, so long as my bum points to the ground.
  • Did you close this thread half way through, close your eyes and start singing real loud to make it all go away?
  • I do that with near all of your posts. Although I draw the line at singing until I've had five pints of Guinness.
:yoda:

J

JS41035

Back in '96 I fractured my right tibia and crumbled my right knee.

6 months in hospital with Mrs A (Golden Staph, Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus) + 5 operations taught me a thing or two.

Now, back to your questions:

• Are you prepared to not work for 6 to eight weeks?
  • I was off for six months. But you can never "be prepared" for something like this, although you do make contingency plans.
  • Is your helper, kid, wife or retired next door neighbor able to cover you in such an event?
  • Delia was away at the time, so I got a helper in. He left the day I came out. I went back to work on crutches.
  • I would take bookings whilst in hospital and call him each afternoon to give him the next day's work.
  • Is there enough in the kitty to pay your bills and expenses?
  • I carry a Personal Injury Insurance Policy for any such situations.
  • Do you have a company to refer work to that wont steal your customers?
  • Did have but no more.

:eekk:

• Do you grab both rails when walking down staircases?
  • I can get by with just one rail. I have short arms.
  • Is the most excitement you have on the weekends a rousing game of Stratego?
  • I don't understand the question.
  • Do you make your wife, kids, helper or neighbors do all the heavy lifting around the house?
  • Never have, never will, so long as my bum points to the ground.
  • Did you close this thread half way through, close your eyes and start singing real loud to make it all go away?
  • I do that with near all of your posts. Although I draw the line at singing until I've had five pints of Guinness.
:yoda:

You don't play Stratego? Your missing out buddy. Best game ever.
Just make sure you have the rules. Otherwise your big brothers will cheat. SPYS DONT KILL BOMBS! Jeremy. Geez.

J

JS41035

I didn't read this thread to the end yet, but my friend you need to chill the f out. . Your body makes you money not your incredible smarts.. (well, at this point at least) ..
Well your right. If your facing a career ending injury it's generally not the best time to get your wife pregnant.:hopeless: Whoops. But I do think it makes you heal faster.

ok that's probably nonsense. But I'm a terrific salesman. ;)

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
You don't play Stratego? Your missing out buddy. Best game ever.
Just make sure you have the rules. Otherwise your big brothers will cheat. SPYS DONT KILL BOMBS! Jeremy. Geez.

Justin is right, Stratego is a great game! At least from what I remember as a kid.......

You got a little one on the way? Your first?
Congrats!:clap:

Reactions: JS41035

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
No. I have a 10 year old boy and a girl that is 6. We were super done.
But it's hard to not be excited about getting to do all the baby stuff again.
Thanks

Yea, we have two small boys(3.5 and 1.5) and it's completely nutssssss! These guys had my arse kicked before the even came out! SUPER done also. At the same time kinda sad, this part of life(toddler) is done. A 10 yr old boy has to be a BLAST! Does he listen? Mine don't!

As far as.... Contingency plans, I'm very much lacking in this area. As I get older it's only a matter of time before something snaps, breaks or falls off. Thinking about our self often gets pushed to the back. Just go work, I'll be fine....

With gov,wife, kids, dog, house, saving, retirement etc. it's HARD to plan for all this(and pay the bills)!

J

JS41035

Jonas, my son is very fun. Still thinks I'm awesome. He can pull vac hoses and solution, start the machine and prespray. He's a great little guy.
My daughter Alyson is all girl. Ballet, puppies dolls etc.
I do have some good Life Insurance. And I have a safety deposit box with all the papers for it. I wrote each kid a letter. And one for my wife. In case I get in a wreck driving home and never get to say bye. It's kinda morbid and I hope they never need to read them. But I had a guy pull out in front of me a few years ago driving home at 4Am. I swerved and avoided the accident but it did get me thinking. " what if that had been it? What happens to Vicky and the kids?"
So I wrote a few page letter to my son. Advice on choosing a wife. Jobs,etc what I expect from him. It might be valuable to him later in life. I did the same for my daughter and my wife. How I want the life Insurance spent. Tell them you love them and that its ok to move on.
I figure it took me about 6 hours, getting the box, writing letters and instructions and meeting with the insurance e guys. But it gives me peace of mind.
And a million in life insurance is Less than a 100 bucks. I spend that much in coffee.
But I haven't planned well for a bad injury. So I'll work on that soon.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I had to keep working with a blood clot in my leg last summer. Then I broke my little toe so bad it was flopping around. Tapped my toe and prayed the clot wasn't going to break off. Real eye opener. Every thing I do now is trying to prepare for the next time. Its not if something happens, its when it happens.

steve_64

back in my BNI days my insurance agent gave a ten minute presentation on emergency planning. thats when he and i sat down and worked up my plan. it was eye opening.
but like Lee said there are so many loopholes nothing is bullet proof.

plan for the worse but dont stress about it. life happens but at least enjoy the time you have here.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
LOL. I'm just being philisophical. In two weeks this long winter nightmare will be over and I will be back to working 6 days a week. The spring season is about to begin. Ready or not.

Reactions: Mikey P
Name
Lee Stockwell
I plan a winter project or two for storm days (or weeks as it turned out). Usually big VCT or wood jobs. Finished two of them this month.

Like Art, I'm getting stir crazy for spring to erupt....as it usually does.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom