So you say you want to get in the water damage business....

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
So you say you want to get in the water damage business huh?

Better buy yourself a trash pump and some hip waders.

This a job we are going to do today once we get the water down and a dumpster over there.

IMG_7038.jpg

G

Must have been in Kansas; I don't think there is that much water in the state of California!! :lol: :roll:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The son was watching the property while his parents were out of state. We got the call last night that said they had 4-ft of water that had been sitting for several days.

The son wanted to meet us this am, we advised him of what would need to be done and he is checking with the adjuster while we arranged for a septic tank guy over to suck up the bulk of it.

Washer hose broke and filled the septic tank causing it to backflow into the basement. Total gut job and wash down, dry out.

It will be a lot of work for 4-6 guys.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I've never come across anything like that, but when we had localised river flooding in 2004, we had numerous houses in the rural areas with between 2-3 foot of silt built up in their homes :shock:

That was pure hard work with shovels and wheel barros starting at the front door and working in a bit at a time. After the silt and contents/furniture was out, then it was stripping out the wall linings and floor coverings, then a water blast of the whole joint. Then saturate spray the entire framewrork down with Milgo. Then finally, days later, we start the drying process.

Fortunately, I had a good crew that did most of those house for me and I subbed the majority out to them. They (and I) made some good coin off those.

John

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You're right John mud is tough work.

No good way to get it out but with shovels and barrels, it's a pain!

Hauling of the debris out of the basement will be the hassle here.

Once they vacuum the septic tank down the water level will drop low enough for us to get in there.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Worse than that though was the homes that are high set (1-3 foot off the ground) that had silt packed up UNDER the home. That's a real mongrel to do!!!

For that work, it was a matter of heavy duty overalls, headlamp, smaller hand shovel and flat based containers that we could tie ropes to and skid in and out.

I think from memory, my guys got double time for the entire time they were under those homes. Then the water blasting was a real PITA too.

In one case, the home was surrounded by framing, with just a gate in and out, very soon, we took off the railings so that we had heaps more access.

John

congrats Richard....I've just started my business and I got 3 jobs last week...I'd love to come and see your operation sometime....Very impressive, congrats on the job!

Rob Lyon

Name
Rob Lyon
Can someone say call the fire dept LOL!

Congrats Rich, Looks like $$$

Ps, I love the e-tes 240, and that reminds me to settle up with Jim on it!!

ACD

Impressive job. I've only had one worse. I got a call from a guy who had bought a foreclosed ranch home. It had been involved in an arson/attempted murder. The guy got it for a song and didn't really look at the home as he figured it was gut job and he was mostly buying the land. He wanted to get an idea of the cost to clean and deodorize the structure after he gutted it. So we went in and looked around and I asked him if he ever looked in the basement. He said no so we opened the basement door in the kitchen, took one step and hit water. The house was a crime scene, vacant, it was months before the bank got involved with foreclosure. So no one had winterized the home, the furnace quit, the pipes froze, and the basement filled completely to the floor joists with water. Later investigations would show 180,000 gallons of water went through the house. As it was pumped out it turns out it had been a finished basement with 3 bedrooms, a bath, a large family room, and a workshop/utility room. Couches, mattresses, dressers full of clothes, sheet rock, carpet, ceiling tiles, bookcases, all had dissolved into a nasty pulpy mess. Took four of us 3 days to completely empty it, remove all non-structural framing, clean the joists and power wash all the bare concrete. My favorite part was a 55 gallon fish tank. If the fish were still alive when it flooded I can just picture them as the water crested the tank going "We're free!"

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom