Sprinter van

jawhit

Name
Joe
I need to switch vans. My El Diablo slide in is in an old Chevy Express but the van is getting rusted out and is going to fail inspection any time now... I have a Sprinter I could put it in, but it is diesel. Does anyone have any experience trying to do this and then use an on-board tank for gasoline?

scotty747

I do it. An outboard tank works good but is more flat than tall. I use a 5 gallon gas can. Drill out a hole for the fuel line and install a rubber grommet. Make sure its a vented tank. Insulate well against any heat source. An actual metal fuel tank is best.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I need to switch vans. My El Diablo slide in is in an old Chevy Express but the van is getting rusted out and is going to fail inspection any time now... I have a Sprinter I could put it in, but it is diesel. Does anyone have any experience trying to do this and then use an on-board tank for gasoline?

You can also get a fuel cell and mount it under your van. Places that build race cars can make you one. When the diesel Sprinters first came out, a number of our customers put fuel cells on them for their gas powered truck mounts, and it worked out well.

pablomoreno

Name
Paul Brown
I do it. An outboard tank works good but is more flat than tall. I use a 5 gallon gas can. Drill out a hole for the fuel line and install a rubber grommet. Make sure its a vented tank. Insulate well against any heat source. An actual metal fuel tank is best.
I bought the first Sprinter van in California in 2004, still own it. I mounted a heavy weight marine 15 gallon outboard tank behind the right wheel well inside the van. installed a vent hose to vent it outside, the tank was securely strapped, but easy to release when needing to be refilled. it fed a Fox with 56 blower and Nissan 1500CC motor. I sold my gas tm in 2008 and installed a Bob Savage built Savage 1. I had three 100 ft cords on a reel, would pull them to plug it into the clients washing machine wall panel. also had a Yamaha onboard generator for places without power and a little giant # 3 heater... in retrospect I should have stayed with a gas TM, although the Savage was adequate and quiet for the high end homes and fabrics I routinely cleaned...Imagine having one client that owns 144 Hotels around the world, or another that runs a major museum and has a couple of $85,000 couches... Gary Heacock was the fellow that mentored me, rest his soul...

A stroke last year that briefly paralyzed my left side helped me identify what is really important. God and family.

jawhit

Name
Joe
Thanks for the good feedback. I'm going to take a closer look today and see what I can do. Also a shoutout to the folks at El Diablo. They've been super helpful with some questions too.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Thanks for the good feedback. I'm going to take a closer look today and see what I can do. Also a shoutout to the folks at El Diablo. They've been super helpful with some questions too.

The folks at El Diablo understand "old fashioned service" in ways I forgot existed.

Great people there, from reception to engineering to ownership

Reactions: SamIam

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom