Staining on limestone

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
Attended a water loss recently, bathroom sink overflowed while customer was gone for the day. Well water with high iron content left staining on what I think is limestone.

IMG_4633.jpg

This is a closer photo of the stone looks yellow because of no flash.

IMG_4626.jpg

Can this staining be removed? Not 100% sure if the adjuster will accept things if they dry out or if he will decide to tear the bathroom out.

Also sink basin is made of unknown rock or ceramic and is stained. Anyone have a guess what it is made of?

IMG_4640.jpg

6c4ded06.jpg

Thanks Jim

breezeman

Need better pics. possible using osr from pro choice to oxidize tile. Need closer look at sink.
Deron

breezeman

Better pics. The sink is most likley pre-cast concrete , looks to be about 1 1/2 to 2 inch. stay away from acids on sink and floor. Try using the osr from pros choice in small area for testing. let set for about 10-to 15 min scrub with a brush and rinse and see what kind of results are achieved. You may want to try stone tech klenz all on sink edge with brush, also add some chemspec energizer to the klenz all and try it on the travertine floor.Test in small areas first. I had some very good results on some white limestone that a cleaner used a red pad that crock on to the floor leaving it stained pink.
Deron

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
I thought you were kidding about the 40 vol.

All I have is some 20-30 vol...they arent specific in the msds and no way I was gonna mix that on my first stone clean up. I batched oxy blaster per directions and scrubbed away.

c8a139b6.jpg

3174760a.jpg

The results were great but was not able to get everything out.

What can I do to get the remainder of this staining out? Should I go to the local salon and try to buy some 40 vol.

The remaining staining is kind of blotchy and is in the grout also.

Stains did not want to come out of the pitted areas in the concrete sink either.

Mikey P

Administrator
With the right color match of Color Seal I bet you could cover up the rest, even on the fill on the tile.

Post those pics in the Jon Don b4 and after contest.

Nice!!!

Mikey P

Administrator
Did you try acid cleaning it?

I would, then color seal any staining left over.

A flat finish like that ain't gonna be that phased by a little acid.

You could bring the "shine" back with a 800 Monkey.

fhueston

You can try a mix of Iron Out and flour in a poultice. If you need directions on how to make a poultice let me know and I will provide it for you

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
Acid, color seal, 800 monkey, poultice, will see whats available, this is the backwoods up here. Fred I would appreciate the directions for the poultice.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Jim;

I think it's going to require an acid treatment to remove the remainder of the rust.

Mask off the unaffected areas and treat with an acid product and poultice.
You could use a oxalic acid (poison), acid power polish, or a phosphoric acid containing product.

Fred's suggestion of a reducing agent (hydrosulfite + bisulfite) is good for slight discoloration, but I think this deposit is more than slight.

Probably will require some polishing as the last step.

Larry

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
Thanks for all the help. Mike and Fred your suggestions worked great. The Iron Out was the icing on the cake...

6d320bc5.jpg

dbf8945a.jpg

These pictures exemplify what MB means to me:

BD gets into jackpot.

Good Ol' Boys come to the rescue.

BD looks like a champ.

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
Had to bump this one, customer was away for several months, he returned this week is is not totally satisfied. The piece is made from granite and the unsealed edge and bottom have a fair bit of staining remaining.

This is the edge

IMG_5051.jpg

Here is a picture of the base

IMG_5052.jpg

I am bringing the basin to my shop tomorrow. I will try scrubbing it with the Iron Out. As a last resort could it be sandblasted? If the peice is saved he wants the top resealed. Could someone recommend a product to seal granite. He also wants the limestone floor resealed. Any suggestions?

Michael M

Hi Jim,

Be Careful with iron out and granite, while I could not see what variety you have there I do know that the fluroic acid may caused problems on a polished surface.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom