Staining under office mats

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
They all hire me to clean their homes, their kid's homes, and their parent's carpet. But their office carpet? No! "Let's wait until it's trashed. Matt Wood will perform a miracle." It might just be....Hell! I don't know what it is! Pisses me off!

Can you tell I'm frustrated?

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Matt, I know how you feel. When I did that 19 hours VCT job I wanted to kill every person that said it was easy. I still hate them all. Screw VCT!
I never touched VCT from how miserable my father was in that business in the 80's. I know technology has come a long way since then, but VCT is more of a 3rd shift kind of job. I'd rather clean carpet from 9-5 than VCT from 5-9

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Nightmares of 26 straight hours inside a Kmart (1980 something).

Things you do when you have munchkins to feed.
Oh hell. One of my first jobs when I was a youngster in Paradise Ca. was working for KMart. God the bad memories. But I did date a hot chick that worked there. that made it better.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
IMG_0503.JPG
This was the job before the office mats stain job

Reactions: Sir James

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
It's called emotional gratitude. I was feeling all big headed when I left that job. I had a plan, I was the man! I knew I could tackle anything. Until my big head got slapped! I came home pissed off

Reactions: Able 1

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
They called me today to tell me that they're gonna replace that carpet, but they want me to come back next week to clean the long hallway leading to that room and another area about the same size that i cleaned about 2 years ago.

Reactions: Nomad74

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
" . . he thought it might be iron deposits wicking up from the metal rods rusting from the moisture in the foundation. He suggested that, so I took that route."

What route for rusting ??

I don't see any to remove rust .

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
" . . he thought it might be iron deposits wicking up from the metal rods rusting from the moisture in the foundation. He suggested that, so I took that route."

What route for rusting ??

I don't see any to remove rust .
Instead of spraying rust remover all over the room, stinking the place up...he felt that the grime release pro would be enough to flush it out. I'm not too happy with how it all went out, so I'm just considering it a lesson learned on putting my foot down reminding the customer that it's time to replace it.

I made the mention of replacing it when I first looked at it, and I knew they wanted to try to clean it, so I let my guard down and said I'd try my best to clean it. I wasted 2 1/2 hours of my day on a Sunday to do this, only to be embarrassed.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I was putting more faith in encapsulating this job. No I didn't have a cimex. But I had all the needed pads and bonnets to do what was needed if it was the way to go.

Even if I fumed up the whole room with Rust remover, I don't think I would've suggested that, just because this carpet is totally neglected from them being too tight $ with their money that they have wayyyyy too much of. I'm not exagerrating on that one either

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Did BP correct their encapucleanO2 so it wouldn't rot on the shelf and not stink like vomit yet? Won't buy any more till they do.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Instead of spraying rust remover all over the room, stinking the place up...he felt that the grime release pro would be enough to flush it out. I'm not too happy with how it all went out, so I'm just considering it a lesson learned on putting my foot down reminding the customer that it's time to replace it.

I made the mention of replacing it when I first looked at it, and I knew they wanted to try to clean it, so I let my guard down and said I'd try my best to clean it. I wasted 2 1/2 hours of my day on a Sunday to do this, only to be embarrassed.

That is just part of the learning process.

What effect did the oxidizer have ?

Did you try a strong reducing agent (rust remover has some reducing effect) ?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
The reducing agent is the only thing I didn't try
Something like chemspec browning treatment, which has a mild reducing agent is always the first thing you should try. Does no harm and often solves the problem immediately. I do corrective cleaning for one of the largest rental machine companies, where people have over wet their carpets and that is the first chemical I apply. Spray it on, agitate lightly, rinse with neutral cleaner and lightly spray before you leave. I rarely pull out peroxide on those jobs. Severe staining may need a second spray.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Something like chemspec browning treatment, which has a mild reducing agent is always the first thing you should try. Does no harm and often solves the problem immediately. I do corrective cleaning for one of the largest rental machine companies, where people have over wet their carpets and that is the first chemical I apply. Spray it on, agitate lightly, rinse with neutral cleaner and lightly spray before you leave. I rarely pull out peroxide on those jobs. Severe staining may need a second spray.
Mr buff-a-rug ,several posts before this one, suggested a peroxide in the encap, which made me make that decision on the peroxide. I wish I took Mary's smart ass comments seriously. That seems to have had a better chance. I was gambling on the chance it would be mildew from the moisture below.

Name
Nate W.
I think you gamble everyday pulling a trailer....:lol: Youz seems like a betting man....

I heard was-mart needs the entry cleaned again...:stir:

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I think you gamble everyday pulling a trailer....:lol: Youz seems like a betting man....

I heard was-mart needs the entry cleaned again...:stir:
That reminds me, I never got back to Goodwill with my $100 bid for their entry way. Damn, I might go out of business now.

Robseyes

Name
Bob
I oxy encapped it with a grey pad, tried usr after, presprayed with an acid rinse at 4:1, and then just prescrubbed with harvard's grime release, then post bonneted with the oxy encap. And no, I didn't do that all in one spot. I experimented in different areas to see what the best result would be. The Grime Release Pro with scrubbing had the best results. I spoke to Hassan yesterday at TCS's customer day, and he thought it might be iron deposits wicking up from the metal rods rusting from the moisture in the foundation. He suggested that, so I took that route.

Either way, it still looks like crap. And whoever thought encapping would help is too lazy to swing a wand and too cheap to buy a truck mount. I'm not convinced that ecapsulation is worth investing in. I don't care how many pics are posted. Every time I try it, I fail miserably. I'm glad I have a truck mount to clean up after it.

That is a tough one. I'm with Pemberton, I haven't had a ton of success on jobs like those. Most of the time you are just making it better. You gotta give the cimex a chance. I was like you and resisted while the Jon Don guys were chirping at me to buy one. I finally did and......wow!

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
@Desk Jockey , and whoever else is hardcore VLM... Would a quarterly cimex program prevent this problem from occurring? They've replaced this carpet and I'm thinking about talking to them about it. If you remember,
There's no moisture barrier underneath this concrete, which is the cause of this browning. But this carpet is over 10 years old. That would make me look like an asshole to them if they say yes, on the cimexing and these spots come back on the new carpet.

And how should I price it with a cimex quarterly? What percentage of my normal HWE price should I go by. I know the benefit for the customer is each time a cimex job is done, is the cost of doing the job.

And this is a financial institution. I need to show them something on paper how cimexing will protect their "investment" of all this new carpet in the long run. So is there any brochures or something fancy out there for me to give to them?

If they say yes to this, I'll be getting a cimex in a couple weeks, because they have 3 big buildings with new carpet that'll be enough reason to open the cimex part of our business

Reactions: Nomad74

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Matt, Excellent Supply has a course on approaching companies. It is deceptively simple and it works.
It's simply deceptive and it works? Matt. You sometimes can't correct installation problems with cleaning. Plastic chair mats may trap moisture causing browning, cloth mats may transfer preservatives to the carpet causing yellowing. Any mat at all will keep the area underneath cleaner than the surrounding areas and will be evident when furniture is moved. Sometimes, it's a no win situation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom