20150620_133413.jpg
20150620_135923.jpg
20150620_133521.jpg

Reactions: FredC

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Still gonna boil down to:
  • Can they train employees to act like business owners?
  • Can they retain employees?
  • Can they avoid high pressure sales as they are directly tied to employees' salary? [Sorry high volume boys, regardless of the wishful thinking, most of you don't and it is reflected.]
  • Can they really be perceived as experts and inspire the same confidence that will allow the client to deposit her loved heirlooms in their hands?
The high volume rug washers will be affected.

IMHO- The owners of high value rugs that want great service and like dealing with real experts- will not let them touch their rugs with a ten foot pole.

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
It's simple, they're a profit driven franchise that survies on bulldozing their way through the consumer world with pure marketing. They lean on a logo/imagery and paid advertising. It's irrelevant that they leave a trail of shit in their wake, each franchise owner buys in to "cash in".

rhyde

Name
rhyde
What's changed? Stanley steamer around here has been
selling area rug cleaning for a long, long time charging 99.00 for an 8x10 ...I'm still here, still growing?

With a name like "Stanley steamer" they have a little bit of an uphill battle and they have a never ending job posting on craigslist as stated employee retention is an issue.

Wes is a smart guy he'll figure it out you don't get that big being dumb. That said, I also see nearly 200K in equipment
and 4-5 rugs to wash?

Last edited:

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Billy Yeadon will likely tell you that Stanley Steemer is one of the best franchises in the country. Perhaps he can explain why?

Sorry, I thought it said proud to be the first I assumed first wash plant?
Which SS in NY is doing this ?

Being the first can mean many things, but in context, I believe it relates to their recent asthma and allergy certification.

Nonetheless Mr. Hyde, the first plant like these pictured was installed in NY to service the greater Port Chester area.

To answer Ron, as you might imagine, training is from within and some help from others not within.

Do you really think their credibility will be an issue for them to wash rugs? Really? Maybe they will not see the clientele that Hyde, Mann and others would garner, but there is still a lot of other rug out there to wash and generate revenues from. More public awareness for rug washing by marketing machines like Stanley Steemer may in fact help everyone in the rug business.

Last edited:

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Tom,
I didn't say anything about credibility rather, they have built a perception as a "steam cleaning" company
..... Stanley steamer, CARPET CLEANER...ring a bell?
In an industry were we (ARCS) most rug cleaners, rug dealers work at educating consumers to not "steam clean" rugs.

While the NY location sounds impressive my feeble understanding is they are doing cleaning for the other 10 or so franchises in the area.
They charge 2.00 Sq ft retail how is this split with the other franchises, how much does corporate get? Most importantly what are their margins what are they netting ?

As for the $100K rug be patient and hang around your shop long enough you'll clean one too! Hang around just a little longer
and you'll find that just because someone says they have a 100K rug doesn't mean it is....particularly one that sends
his very valuable rug to the cheapest cleaner in town...LOL

Ivan Turner

Supportive Member
Name
Ivan Turner
That is one very sharp looking rug cleaning plant. Regardless of what many say or think; Stanley has always been the standard bearer when it comes to Great marketing. I highly doubt that they base their decisions on the consensus of the "Independents" and probably for good reason.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
They are a good company...like most of us here.

Depends on what you aspire to. Love em. I definitely benefit from their presence. Help differentiate oneself:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/stanley-steemer-carpet-cleaning-company-san-francisco
http://www.yelp.com/biz/stanley-steemer-carpet-cleaner-redwood-city

Had an ex employee of theirs and heard some interesting stories. Didn't stay, was hard to re train.

P.S. Beautiful set up Tom. And congratulations on the new client. I am sure it will lead to more sales. Quite an accomplishment.

HydroDude

Name
JB
In my down time I've been google searching rug cleaning...so, on some web-sites where google ads pop up I've been seeing Stanley's Rug Cleaning ads for last three months or so...

Name
Lee Stockwell
I'm sure they read this board, would LOVE their participation.

Stanley is a competitor I respect, perhaps due to local experience. We had a couple of weak franchises fold here over the years, but the current group is much better.

I respect the fact that their advertising is positive and "pro cleaning", instead of "danger! warning! don't call those other guys" garbage some independents employ.

Their one Achilles heel I notice is a reluctance to do reservice calls with a smile. I don't mind doing that for them...with a smile!

rhyde

Name
rhyde
I'm doubt corporate care about the boards.
No question it's a nice plant the question is what is SS doing in rug cleaning and how will it play out?
Can they build a thriving rug business at 2. a ft? or in my neck of the woods 1.25?
Tom, how many rugs have they ruined or had to send out to be fixed ?

Being a privately held company number aren't easy to come by but it looks like they have been losing market share

In 2006 their gross revenue was $420 million
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/stories/2007/03/26/story1.html?page=all

This article from 2012 revenue of about $400 million
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus...9/14/cfo-of-the-year-mark-bunner-stanley.html

Reactions: Ron K

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Its hard to move the needle when you get to bigger numbers!
Sheesh, $400 million is nothing to sneeze at.

Its a franchise, some franchise owners are very good and some incompetent.
Just like us.

Isn't that the truth!

Everyone makes good points.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Can they build a thriving rug business at 2. a ft? or in my neck of the woods 1.25?
Tom, how many rugs have they ruined or had to send out to be fixed ?
Like anyone that jumps into the "Rugs are where the money is at!" there is going to be a learning curve. I'm sure they have sought enough eduction to narrow that curve down as much as possible.

After that, I'd be afraid, I'd be very afraid. They have the marketing prowess to drive rugs to their door.

Will they take all your clients? No. But they will take the fence people. You know, those that know you are the best but if they can save several dollars a square foot they will be happy with second best. This segment seems to continue to grow, everyone is looking for a deal.

If you're in a large metro I'd begin to market against them (not by name) but attacking the "New Kids on the Block", the franchise approach, any chink in their armor. Where are they vulnerable what are their weaknesses?

Hit them hard with Guerilla Warfare. Lessen any blow they might have on your clientele. Even if they end up having no affect on your business, you'll have helped secure your clients for the future. :cool:

P.S.
Oh and fire bomb Tom's house because he's going to keep selling equipment to them! ;)

J/K

rhyde

Name
rhyde
The on the fence people in addition to Stanley Steemer that has been marketing rug cleaning here for years also has Coit, chem-dry, Zero-rez and dozen plus other cleaning companies in the area what's changed?

I'm as worried about SS as mikey is about their carpet cleaning in his area.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
if i were you I'd sell out.You have great rep for your area. I tell you whut I'd give ya $27.00 and keep yor ass on payroll until you find another job.
1/2 of your current pay of course. :icon_razz:

Back
Top Bottom