Stanley Steemer Corporate in Dublin Ohio

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
I've been in business since 1977 officially in the Ann Arbor area. In my small market there are lots of carpet cleaners (some of which cross market and clean rugs too) All are constantly taking a piece of the action. I've stuck it out being small ( 1 - 3 trucks depending on the decade). However, Hagopian, Modernistic, Chem-Dry, Stanley Steemer, and a host of owner operators and other good locally owned competition like Steve Lawrence founder of Bestway have all managed to continue through the years. All those I mentioned started even before me in this market. So what does that mean for a small city of 117,000 with a very transit population having a major university here? When Ken Snow published on a forum he pulled 3500 rugs a year out of Ann Arbor, it blew my mind. Hagopian dominated the market share, but nonetheless there are lots of rugs yet to be washed and everyone else took their slice doing so besides me. It's amazing how much rug is laying around. Likely more rugs now than any other time in human history.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
It is indeed.
I'd be honored.

Tom just thinks you'll be in the market for rug cleaning equipment so he's sucking up to you :biggrin:

I don't disagree with you Tom I'm curious about SS in the rug cleaning biz People tend to overreact I'm not making definitive statements here just asking questions and making comments. I have nearly 3 decades in the rug business cleaning, retail, wholesale even the large Moore plant is a turn off to many here in the biz let alone a large franchise business . Having dabbled in the lower end of the market (when we had the Vortex) it's not a nice place with a good view. I think they understand their business maybe I don't and they don't understand mine.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I have nearly 3 decades in the rug business cleaning, retail, wholesale even the large Moore plant is a turn off to many here in the biz let alone a large franchise business .
Someone with that resume should have absolutely no trouble acquiring another job.

If I were you I would practice this saying these statements "Welcome to Walmart", "Do you want fries with that?".

May they serve you well! :winky:

Last edited by a moderator:
Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
Hope your rug dreams come true. There are tons here in my area I walk over and over and I've really thought about this past couple years. When our drought passes I may have a window.

F

FB7777

Great post Ofer

Small 1-3 truck ops should have little concern

My point is that for the company that has more than just a helper, things can get messy at times

It's easy to criticize the large operators from the sidelines

I certainly don't worship Stanley but I admire the investment in the under served rug market

Heck we truck mount over hundreds of area rugs..... Some we actually take out of the home ;)

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Agreed Fred.
However, since I lack both the talent and ambition to run a large operation, all I have left to do is criticize from the bench. :winky:

So, I'll shamefully proceed. And if someone (anyone) will provide better facts, I'll be happy to change my opinion.

In my conversations with both clients and ex employees of theirs, this is what comes through:

• High pressure sales applied to clients. Low quoted prices, pressure applied at the home. (I love it because once they are done with them I get no price resistance whatsoever.)
  • High pressure on employees to sell more. That pressure is translated to very low pay for low quoted price. In one ex- employee words: He would practically lose money on such jobs.
Wouldn't such circumstances create a likely environment for plenty of callbacks?

As witnessed by what I heard numerous times and by Russ's post-
They used to follow up with a phone call to EVERY job. There were "call backs" every day. Some days, several. In no time I found myself part of the damage control squad with another quality minded tech. We would go re clean and smooth everything over with the customer from the day before.

I couldn't make any money there. It just wasn't a good fit for me. I can remember getting really embarrassed when my trainer was "teaching" me to sell. They sold rakes, door mats, spotters, etc... Truth is the tech HAS TO UPSELL to make any money at all. My checks were miserably small (part of being the quality guy I suppose)

There are large operators here, and you are definitely aware of my O/O bias. [Darth Vader type companies suck. DEVOTED O/Os ARE THE GREATEST!]

However, regardless of my bias I know that Hagopian, Deberns and Chavez etc. take good care of their people. And their employees stay with them for a very long time (isn't that alone a good indication?) and they pay them decent living wages.

P.S. Isn't Tom's equipment awesome?
Terrible color though :winky:

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
They used to follow up with a phone call to EVERY job. There were "call backs" every day. Some days, several.
You still have to give them credit for the effort of trying to deliver value for what they charge. They could just sit back and wait to see if anyone calls but they are taking a proactive approach which many cleaners do not.

I'm glad when we get a call back! Not glad it happened, but glad they let us know and allowed us to fix the problem. We don't get many call backs and we even encourage them to call if it doesn't look just right to them. But I'd much rather fix a problem than to have a client be disappointed and not call back. Only to next time use my competition.

Reactions: Russ T.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
You still have to give them credit for the effort of trying to deliver value for what they charge. They could just sit back and wait to see if anyone calls but they are taking a proactive approach which many cleaners do not.
Yes and no.

And at whose expense?

O.K. Dan, gotta to go to work. Hopefully no call backs.
Beside my Linen sofa extravaganza, I can't recall my last call back.
But than, again, I always hang up when clients call :winky:

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Ivan Turner

Supportive Member
Name
Ivan Turner
SS Can't control their "Hamburgers" like other franchises can. Just because they have nice new shiny yellow stuff doesn't mean they'll be successful or profitable but maybe memorable . Maybe Mr. Turner should buy a franchise and edumacate us all about great marketing.....or maybe just like Stan, keep dropping the price, another race to the bottom.... yea!

Hey Ron,

I don't clean rugs or carpets, so the chances of me buying a franchise is slim to none. "or maybe just like Stan, keep dropping the price, another race to the bottom.... yea!" Are you out of your flipping mind? You consider company revenues of 4 mil a race to the bottom?

Okay so I'll edumacate you about great marketing, without the pain and cost of buying a SS franchise;

Reactions: Mikey P

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
I think most here that will competing against SS should be thinking about
What will your messaging be? I guarantee you that before SS ever wrote Tom a check they knew what their messaging would be.

Many here could learn a lot from how they approach selling their services.

We have a fantastic SS company owned location here in indy. If they approached me to buy it tomorrow I would join up. This business is about cleaning stuff its not some moral calling.

One thing I would know for sure is I would have a great company backing me with well thought out systems, marketing and management. Oh yeah I would make a lot more money.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I think of it like this.

There will always be McDonalds. It's not even real food but people love it. I'm not going to throw rocks at those people or the owners and employees of these places but I'm just not a big McDonalds guy.

Some people have a taste for better, healthier foods despite the higher price tag. The same goes for carpet cleaning.

Reactions: cleanking

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Someone with that resume should have absolutely no trouble acquiring another job.

If I were you I would practice this saying these statements "Welcome to Walmart", "Do you want fries with that?".

May they serve you well! :winky:

No chance sport I've got plans, BIG PLANS!

I'm gonna fake a back injury to get that dream disability retirement while I wait for my Nigerian friends Investment/business deal
to take off!

Name
Nate W.
No chance sport I've got plans, BIG PLANS!

I'm gonna fake a back injury to get that dream disability retirement while I wait for my Nigerian friends Investment/business deal
to take off!

Also waiting for your hair to grow back..........:lol:

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Also waiting for your hair to grow back..........:lol:

I know you're young and still believe in Santa and stuff but trust me when I tell you Rogain doesn't always work.

Hey Ron,

I don't clean rugs or carpets, so the chances of me buying a franchise is slim to none.

You, and half the guys in this thread ...hell even Mikey's chimed in!

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Nate W.
I know you're young and still believe in Santa and stuff but trust me when I tell you Rogain doesn't always work.

You, and half the guys in this thread ...hell even Mikey's chimed in!

Last we talked you said your were going to use Bosley...... I guess that didn't work too....... :dejection: Santa isn't real?!?!?!?!?!? FTW!!!

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom