Steve Andrews eat your heart out!

M

Mark Imbesi

LOL! Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experiences with us last night on the HOT SEAT. Your videos are awesome and are easy to follow and understand. I wish I could have stayed longer.

These pictures are posted only to show others that they can do this type of work, too. This was my first and only attempt at a custom rug, but Steve sparked the fire last night. I charged $350.00 for 2 hours worth of work.

Parent Rug already in Living Room

Runner4.jpg

Custom Runner in Foyer

Runner5.jpg

Parent Rug w/Custom in Background

Runner3.jpg

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Never done that but looks like fun. Could you say how you worked the edges so they looked good? What equipment was used?

Stevea

Marc,

Thank you for being there and thank you for the kind comments, I love your rugs. It never ceases to amaze me how a fairly simple process can take plain stuff and make it look so good.
Thank you for sharing this with all of us, looks great!

SA

M

Mark Imbesi

Hey Larry,

I made a cardboard template for the circles and traced them onto the backing of the beige carpet w/marker. Used a carpet knife to cut them out (new blade each circle). Did the same with the black field carpet. Latexed both edges. Inserted the beige into the black and seamed together w/a borrowed KoolGlide. I then flipped it over and latexed a muslin cloth to the backing to hide all of the seam tape. Sent it out for binding around the edges.

List of Tools:
Cardboard
Marker
Carpet Knife w/Blades
KoolGlide w/Tape
Latex
Seam Roller
Seam Weight

Thanks Steve. But I can't take credit for the Parent Rug. That was store bought by my client. I was cleaning the 4 BR's Hall and Steps when a conversation started on finding a matching runner for the foyer.

Stevea

Marc,
You still were able to match it and that is what counts, take care of what the customer wants and needs.

Nice simple explanation as well, maybe we will start seeing some custom work here as well.

Again, thanks for sharing, excellent job and excellent thought process.

SA

M

Mark Imbesi

Thanks again, Steve.

The small list of tools used are all basic repair tools. So why limit yourself to just repairs? For under $50, you can get 2 remnants of different colors and many, many hours of practice. Go make some more $$$!

M

Mark Imbesi

Binding runs about $0.65 - $0.75 per linear foot. I charge my clients double.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Marc,

I didn't read at first that you made those custom rugs, so i was looking for the b4 and after pics of your rug repair! lol

Awesome work man, looks great.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
That'a Awesome Marc... nice to see you posting back in the ToolBox too.

Custom rug design and making is one thing I took away from Steve HotSeat that I want to look into more and see if I can get some of that work.

I have a few carpet retailers that send me a lot of repair work and they just may get a custom rug with their name on it if I can work it out and find the time to 'stuff around' and teach myself.

Thanks heaps for sharing.

This is almost getting back to what Harry posted heaps about when he walked us through his custom rug making where he adds borders etc for custom sized area rugs.

John

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Marc Imbesi said:
Binding runs about $0.65 - $0.75 per linear foot. I charge my clients double.

I have never done this but I have been working with everything since I got my KoolGlide and a dye kit.

How do you find someone to bind the rug after you make it?

Stevea

One can also bind by hand with a stapler system but there is also a fairly good system with a tape that has an adhesive on it to attach to the back of the carpet and then it is finished on the edge with a glue gun. I use this on some of the rugs I work on as well a machine made bindings.

The tape system has a rope design, a serge design as well as a plain binding design. It comes in multiple colors for whatever is needed.

Just some more information so one knows they do not have to buy a binder, if they don't want one and they can bind it themselves.

Here is a shot of a rug with the binding on it with serge style, I am not sure if you can see it clearly or not but it is on this, it was put on by hand with a glue gun.
mooseonloose.jpg

SA

M

Mark Imbesi

Larry, the best place to get the area rug bound would be from your local retailer that is referring your services. Either he does it in house or sends it away. Another place would be from a flooring wholesaler or supply shop that is used by the installer.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Marc,

Was the price agreed before or after you brought the rug to them? Did you tell them what it would probably look like as well or was it more like a surprise?

I do like the idea of the carpet retailers as well.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Charles Lyman said:
That is awesome. I missed the Hot Seat. Is there anywhere I can read the posts?

Charles, I have a copy of both the audio and text. Probably neither will make sense on their own. It ran 2+ hours so you'll need to try and run the audio when you have the time to sit in front or your computer to click on the video links etc.

I need to check a couple of things with Steve first, then I'll get back to you.

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom