Sticking with ACT! Also--anyone heard of magicmicro.com?

WISE

Well--

I am sticking with ACT! As a customer manager/relationship builder; it cannot be touched if set up properly.

So going with ACT and Blackberry. Add ons like handheld contact, calendar view plus and Xoom make it very effective for my business.

Now I need to upgrade the office computer. I don't need a server yet, but will go with a performance pc. Found this website magicmicro.com. They specialize in gamer pc's I think. Anyway, the way they are customizable and the prices are great. 3 year parts/labor included. However, I have never heard of them and don't have time to be dealing with any more computer headaches; so a few hundred more for a big name manufacturer may be the way to go. I dunno. Anyone heard of these guys?

As much as I hate Dell's customer service, the next day on-site tech support is pretty strong.

WISE

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
Re: Sticking with ACT! Also--anyone heard of magicmicro.com

WISE said:
Well--

I am sticking with ACT! As a customer manager/relationship builder; it cannot be touched if set up properly.

So going with ACT and Blackberry. Add ons like handheld contact, calendar view plus and Xoom make it very effective for my business.

Now I need to upgrade the office computer. I don't need a server yet, but will go with a performance pc. Found this website magicmicro.com. They specialize in gamer pc's I think. Anyway, the way they are customizable and the prices are great. 3 year parts/labor included. However, I have never heard of them and don't have time to be dealing with any more computer headaches; so a few hundred more for a big name manufacturer may be the way to go. I dunno. Anyone heard of these guys?

As much as I hate Dell's customer service, the next day on-site tech support is pretty strong.

WISE

Michael,

I have never heard of them. I generally have always built my own PC's from newegg.com . In my opinion, they are the best online parts/computer supplier in the us. But, if iwasnt computer savvy, I would really just lean towards either a local PC shop, or a big name company like dell. If your looking at protecting your data, might I suggest a RAID format on your next PC. This will essentially put the exact same information on 2,3,4 or more hard drives(2 is enough for the average user). That way, if one drive crashes, your raid controller will just pull off the other. It is what most servers run, and is now very affordable in the desktop world. I wouldn't build a platform for my business without RAID.

I can hook you up with a new plan on AT&T. Even if someone can beat my phone prices by 20 bucks, i'll kick in the difference to make it right. Ultimately, its up to you, and you can choose where to shop. But, if you go through me, you help me out alot. More than people realize.

WISE

Kevin--

Thanks for the info on pc's. I will talk to you later today about the phone. Blackberry Curve on ATT network is what I am going to get.

WISE

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
No problem. I think you will be happy with a pc made for gaming. That is what mine is made for :D and this baby FLIES!

Do you have any long lasting pc shops that are reliable in town? Maybe ask for some references. They can be spendy at times, but will take care of you when things go wrong. Just like a good cleaner or a restoration contractor.

Scott

Heya Mike -

Do you have a local computer company/guru? I hooked up with a buncha computer geeks (they run a computer sales company locally) and they custom-build my machines for surprisingly inexpensive. We had another guy in town that wasn't so good, but he was cheap. He's not around any longer. But these guys are good and do quite a bit of volume for a small company. (they have server contracts with Lockheed-Martin, so you know they're good)

They're building me a gaming-fast laptop now for $2,100. It is L O A D E D and will be way faster/better than my 5 newer desktops.

Scott

Gary T

I would stay clear of the gamer pc and the smaller companies, unless you want to play serious games too.

Most of the big names offer next business day service now. They also have agreements w/the different parts makers to ensure everything in the box is on the same page so to speak. Go to pcmag.com and go over their reviews on cust service and so forth. Yes you'll pay a few more bucks, but may avoid some serious headaches later. You can also custom order pretty much everything from the big guys too.

Definately opt for the raid config, and consider an external backup.

Gary T

I would stay clear of the gamer pc and the smaller companies, unless you want to play serious games too.

Most of the big names offer next business day service now. They also have agreements w/the different parts makers to ensure everything in the box is on the same page so to speak. Go to pcmag.com and go over their reviews on cust service and so forth. Yes you'll pay a few more bucks, but may avoid some serious headaches later. You can also custom order pretty much everything from the big guys too.

Definitely opt for the raid config, and consider an external backup.

WISE

There is a local shop just down the street actually. The guy is on talk radio and tv...he is pretty much the computer guy. They have a solid reputation and are just good people. I went there this am and he is quoting me on a machine with the specs I gave him and looking at what all I am running to see if all is good or overkill or not enough. I think they are the best plan at any price as they are about 1 mile from my shop.

Dell Optiplex 740 still looking strong tho....can't stand em, but....

WISE

Scott

I've owned self-built, pro-built, HP, Compaq, Acer, and e-Machines. I was/am always happiest when I get a machine that has interchangeable non-proprietary parts that I can upgrade or swap out when the time arises. The HP and Compaq (and Dell) don't allow me much flexibility. I've learned my lesson and go self or pro built only now. Costs a few extra bucks but if anything goes wrong my computer guy has me back in the saddle fast, usually less than an hour. With HP and Compaq, I had to send both back for repairs and it took weeks.

To each his own. I know guys that are perfectly content with their Dells, HP's, Acers, etc.... Not this guy. :)

Scott

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
Scott said:
I've owned self-built, pro-built, HP, Compaq, Acer, and e-Machines. I was/am always happiest when I get a machine that has interchangeable non-proprietary parts that I can upgrade or swap out when the time arises. The HP and Compaq (and Dell) don't allow me much flexibility.

Bingo! You hit the nail on the head. Just have a system built that can be upgraded. Please post your spec sheet here first Michael, I have built over 10 computers and have a good idea on what good hardware is.

As for not doing a gaming PC, why not? You will be hard pressed to find something much faster than the best gaming rig built. Gaming PC's are made for multimedia and massive work. My pc was built for competitive gaming (lol, yes, I played competitive lans) and is very fast.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom