Stinker Wool Rug

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I have cleaned this rug 2 times and it smells like musty old dog. Today I soaked it and flushed it. Looks great but still has that smell. I used some cti rug restorer but did not put a lot cuz the stuff smells like inside of a flower and the customer said she can not stand flower smell.

What can I use that will kill this funk and not harm the wool.

Thank you

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Is it a hand tuft or woven rug. Pictures are often helpful when dealing with deoderizing. For contaminated rugs like urine, pet oils, ext. we use Masterblends skunk Out. About 16 Oz to 5 gallons and pit soak the rug for 1-8 hours depending on severity, rolling it every hour and changing water as it becomes over saturated. Others have had success in speeding up the process by adding a few ounces of MB air wash with the Skunk out. If you know the rug is colorfast and is not tufted, this should take care of the problem.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Woven rug, very old and doesn't smell like pet odor. A very strong old rug smell. I will try to post a pic later.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
If it really is an older woven oriental.. There is a very good chance that its the older smell of wool. And there is nothing wrong with that. But if its a very foul smell then there is something wrong.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
If the rug really is clean and doesn't have some embedded grunge, the old rug smell (musty) is fungal growth on the cotton foundation. A good soaking with an anti-fungal product followed by another cleaning should do.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Once it dries it still has the odor but when it's wet and I have the fans on it the odor is very strong.

DSCN2283.jpg

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Oz, that kinda of looks like a Kashan... am I right? :shock:

If you can take a picture of the back corner, that would be great.

Take Brian's advice on the antifungal or give the skunk out a try.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Yes it had the same smell When I got it and had a little pee on the side but that is all gone . it runs clear when I rinsed it.

I remember what she called it but couldn't spell it if I tried.

I need some brand names of a anti-fungal don't have much to chose from around here.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
100_3471-1.jpg

Here is the corner of the rug

The ph on the microabn is 12.2. I be scared to go that high with the ph on this old rug.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Louis.

Certainly listen to these guys...They are good..

I would doubt that the rug is totally dry...I think you will find as soon as you remove
the blowers, that the smell will dicapate in about 2 hrs...

Possibly put it in a garage with a dehu... will really speed up the drying process..

We have had excellent results post spyaying with BP Hydro-cide...It will be fine..
I am "guessing" that it is just the damp wool...?

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Louise,

My guess is that its unbuffered and un diluted. You only use 1 oz to a gallon. If these guys don't give another option and you stilll have the problem, I'll email Aaron G in the morning for his suggestion for products.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
This is my question . Where and how are you drying it. I know you said you used fans. What about hanging it in the sun to dry. Are you drying it directly on the floor or ar you drying it on the tarp I see outside on the ground.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I moved it into the sun with fans under it on a new tarp that was dry. I am thinking about putting it in the sun for a day and see what that does.

I did that with a futon mattress I got before I was a cleaner. It was from a smoker and 1 day in the sun the smell was gone.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Hey got the rug ID verfied.. Its a 1930's Heriz. Being that old I'd say part of it is simply the old rug.

What did you do to remove the dry soil on this rug. Alot of the talk got me thinking if you still need to drop alot of crap out that may be adding to the "smell." A heavily impacted rug with dry soil when washed can rinse clean and still have loads of dry soil.

-JB-

Name
JB
What did you do to remove the dry soil on this rug. Alot of the talk got me thinking if you still need to drop alot of crap out that may be adding to the "smell." A heavily impacted rug with dry soil when washed can rinse clean and still have loads of dry soil.

good point . . . remove the source, remove the odor.

Name
Ron lippold
If you are trying to dry that rug on the tarp it will never happen, that rug is sweating on top of the tarp put a fan under the rug to keep air moving or go to the store and buy a 12 foot pvc pole and hang that rug up .

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Ron, that was why I asked that question. I have to say the rug is not drying quik enough . The Medallian gave the Heriz away.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Well a few hours in the sun helped a little.

We used air to dust the rug

I flushed the rug until it ran clear water. It took a lot of water for this. glad I'm not on a meter yet.

When I dried it I had the fans under it and took a vac hose and laid it around the edge of the rug so the air was forced through the rug. I also used a odor disc on the blower.

If clean it again I'm going to buy the stuff to hang it. Baby sitting a rug all Sunday long sucked. I have a set up to hang 6' wide rug but this thing is 9' wide, beast

Thank You for all the help

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
do you have ain air wand or did you use an air gun on a compressor?

Try this take a beater bar vaccuum like a sanitaire if you have one with the vibragroom 2 bar. or even a brush bar vacuum and run it on the back of the rug with the rug face down on concrete. Run it over it for about 3-5 mintues and see what drops out if anything.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
When I cleaned it the first time I did it at another guys shop and used a tool that he is working on , but it took a load of soil out.

Have not had time to work on it now cuz it's been busy and my mother in law is in the hospital and it doesn't look good right now.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Any other suggestions on what to use. The microban stuff can not be shipped to CA.

I have a gallon of Sporicidin????

Thank You

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom